Flying controls on laptop in mm6

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Violator
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Flying controls on laptop in mm6

Unread postby Violator » 29 Mar 2006, 10:55

Hi!

I am playing mm6 on a laptop, and i can`t figure out how to fly! I have the fly scroll alright, but i am wondering if flying was meant for the numpad?! If so, is there any way to alter the keyboard controls in mm6? Is there any fix i could download?

Apeman
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Apeman » 29 Mar 2006, 11:25

I tested it and both on my laptop and my PC it's the page-up and insert keys. If that's not the case on your laptop I have no idea to change the controls.

starlady11
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby starlady11 » 31 Mar 2006, 07:18

also to land ,iinsert ,land fast [have feater fall] home

DaveO
Demon
Demon

Unread postby DaveO » 02 Apr 2006, 01:32

This is a common pirate copy question. I would appreciate that further posts with this question being ignored and not replied to.
I'd rather be part bull than a complete sheep.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 02 Apr 2006, 09:16

DaveO wrote:This is a common pirate copy question. I would appreciate that further posts with this question being ignored and not replied to.
What makes you think so? That a owner of original copy would always consult the manual before asking or something more?

EDIT LATER. I am feeling sorry for all those good people who tried to help (myself included), But lets try to not scare DavO away and give only the reference to manual. Manual.pdf should be on mm6 install disk, or catalogue or in bookshelf. ;| Dunno, if leaving out the control descriptions was a part of game protection.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 03 Apr 2006, 15:09

I think it's ridiculous to just assume a person is a software pirate because they ask a question that might be found in the manual. I no longer have the manuals for like 70% of the games I technically own. And the remaining 30% I don't carry with me wherever I go. Many of them are in storage that I only access a few times a year. I would hope that if I asked a question like this, someone would help me out. Believing the worst of people from the get-go is not a great way to proceed throughout life.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

DaveO
Demon
Demon

Unread postby DaveO » 04 Apr 2006, 20:19

I pointed Pitsu to a different M&M board where I've been a regular participant for years. I'll let him make the decision of whether the flying controls are a piracy concern or not.

P.S. - To Pitsu: I never was a moderator on any message board. The closest I came was being considered for the old 3DO Community Board(long since gone), but I did manage to make many contributions to that defunct board.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 05 Apr 2006, 10:01

DaveO wrote: I'll let him make the decision of whether the flying controls are a piracy concern or not.
Aw, I am just one of many moderators and cannot take any general decisions only by myself. Currently it does not seem that the policy will change much. Main point is that on several reasons a honest player may find it easier to ask the keys from a forum than search the manual. While everybody asking for "what word is in manual page 7 row 2 the second word?" is aware that it will be treated as piracy question, then nobody is really prepared to be treated as a pirate for asking the controls. Classifying every such people a pirate, is kind of screwing over with anti-piracy, similarly to a copy-protection that causes problems to legal buyers. As you see also in Redneck's tavern, where you directed me, people a willing to refuse to p(l)ay future MM games, only because of the used copy protection. The same here, telling a fair buyer that he is a pirate since he asks suspicious questions does not make good for MM community. Moreover, not helping a pirate to find the buttons does not really prevent him playing, since everyone who bothers to tests, finds the buttons easily. Telling the controls, on the other hand, gives higher canche that the person stays in community and will sooner or later learn that it is his own interest to pay for the game...

Violator
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Violator » 05 Apr 2006, 14:20

Ok, instead of youo discussing the matter if I am a pirate or not, i`d rather tell you. MM6 is an almost ancient game. I have the original discs, but not the manual. As you may remeber, older games came in a large box instead of the dvd containers nowadays.

I was able to recall the flying controls was done by page up etc, but on my laptop, that didn`t work. I started to wonder if flying were at the numpads. As you may know, a laptop doesn`t have numpad buttons. At least not mine. Therefore i decided to find a forum with people who knew their MM, to figure out if I really needed numpads, beacuse if it was so, I would never be able to play this game. Wouldn`t be ablo to fly etc.

So you see... give it a little thinking instead of calling everybody with a potential a pirate!

Xenofex.XVII
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Xenofex.XVII » 05 Apr 2006, 15:02

I never read the full manual (only looked at the pictures :D )
It's not hard to figure out the controlls by yourself. Anyway there is a controls option when you press ESC during the game :devious:
It is time to stop believing and start understanding. - Rael

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 05 Apr 2006, 15:09

Violator wrote: I was able to recall the flying controls was done by page up etc, but on my laptop, that didn`t work.
Strange if it didn't work. You are sure that the spell was cast before you tried to fly :p? Other than that - simply blindtest all keys.

The piracy question was more in general principles not whether particularly you are a pirate or not.

DaveO
Demon
Demon

Unread postby DaveO » 05 Apr 2006, 23:14

To Violator: I never accused you of being a software pirate. I only stated that asking for the keys to control flying was common questions asked by people who did not have legitimate copies. The lack of moral principles concerning copying of software, music, movies, etc is an unacceptable line I refuse to cross. If I want something bad enough, I'll pay for it. All piracy does is increase the cost to the consumer, though I admit that the USA is not as notorious for piracy as others.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 06 Apr 2006, 00:12

While I also respect a forum's rules to not disclose any key-commands which may or may not be found in the manual, I have to address the situation that when Might & Magic VI was first released in … what, 1997? Laptops were not ordinarily used for gaming … and searching out my original manuals, I find NO keyboard commands for Laptop use.

If I owned a Laptop, I might also well be asking the same question(s). It really burns me up when forums or their members assume that anyone who asks questions such as which key to use for flight is a pirate and/or thief!

I myself, have seen Might & Magic 6 for sale at my local thrift shop … if someone buys a copy at one of these places and no manual is included, are they still considered a pirate for asking how to fly (on a Laptop)?

Furthermore, I've also read the excuse that it was piracy which helped or caused 3do to go bankrupt. Not that they released a really horrible game (Might & Magic IX) just before their demise. Let's put the blame where it belongs. If 3do wouldn't have released Heroes IV too early and/or allowed such a crappy game as MM9 to slip through the cracks, they could still be around publishing Heroes V (without SF) and doing a dämn better job of it than UbiSoft!
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

DaveO
Demon
Demon

Unread postby DaveO » 06 Apr 2006, 01:25

Digital Rights Management and copy protection are definitely in constant clashes. If I buy a CD for example, I'd like the capability of copying the tracks to my computer if I want to. But after that the whole fair use vs. free distribution discussion can get difficult and murky. I'm betting that the music industry would see more sales if they had specials where people could choose the tracks they want for custom CDs. But since the RIAA wants as much money as possible, they'll continue on the course of suing people. :devil:

Copy protection will always be broken by somebody. As far as the whole Starforce copy protection scheme, I'd like confirmed proof that the program causes harm to computers before rushing to judgement.

3DO's demise was caused by mismanagement and poor decisions. I was once part of a Fortune 500 company that went out of business, so I recognize the signs of ineptitude when I see it(even in myself).

This brings up whether copy protection is a valid defense mechanism. As long as no harm occurs, I can't see the validity of no copy protection. As harsh as it may sound, software companies are in business to make money and NOT provide happy customers(though some do have technical support resources).

As far as my comments go in regard to people helping out forum posters here with potential piracy issues, I'll refrain from making any more comments unless Ubisoft decides to make a release of any of the previous M&M games. I do agree that the whole point of the forum is to attract and keep people posting. So I'll do my part by offering an apology to any that were offended by my remarks.

P.S. - This does not mean I won't continue posting controversial viewpoints or my opinion.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 06 Apr 2006, 05:57

DaveO wrote: Copy protection will always be broken by somebody. As far as the whole Starforce copy protection scheme, I'd like confirmed proof that the program causes harm to computers before rushing to judgement.
How come when so many people post their first-hand experiences of the damage StarForce did to their computers, additional proof is demanded? I'd say the outrage over damaged computers is confirmation enough.

Read this thread:

StarForce Damage Discussion Thread

Also, then why is someone automatically assumed to be dishonest if they inquire about keyboard commands for a game that is already 10 years old, the original publisher is defunct & the manual is clearly out-of date for today's technology?

DaveO
Demon
Demon

Unread postby DaveO » 06 Apr 2006, 23:08

If an editor of a gaming magazine encountered problems with this 'program' that's good enough for me. Why do protection companies keep insisting on trying to follow Sony's much-maligned rootkit debacle?

With the advance of operating systems and the release of Windows Vista, I'm sure that we'll probably see either the older DOS M&M games being even harder to play or various issues with MM6 thru MM9.

I already offered an apology for being strict about not posting the keyboard commands for flying. I'm not making any more comments.

P.S. - As a peace offering, I'm starting a new thread where I'm sure people can have some fun in.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 07 Apr 2006, 00:21

DaveO wrote:If an editor of a gaming magazine encountered problems with this 'program' that's good enough for me. Why do protection companies keep insisting on trying to follow Sony's much-maligned rootkit debacle?

With the advance of operating systems and the release of Windows Vista, I'm sure that we'll probably see either the older DOS M&M games being even harder to play or various issues with MM6 thru MM9.

I already offered an apology for being strict about not posting the keyboard commands for flying. I'm not making any more comments.

P.S. - As a peace offering, I'm starting a new thread where I'm sure people can have some fun in.
You are one of the most wise & loyal Might & Magic fans who is still concerned about the direction in which the M&M series is going (and has already gone). Your help over the years and your web site has done much to keep interest in Might & Magic alive. Thank you. We love you, you great wonderful Minotaur. :hug:

I will keep my eyes open for your new thread. :left:

DaveO
Demon
Demon

Unread postby DaveO » 07 Apr 2006, 01:15

Why thank you! Such a heartfelt reply. I am truly touched.

I don't know how much my Web site has truly helped others. I don't have a 'hit' tracker, but that does not matter to me at all. I'm a bit of an anachronism in being able to state that I've enjoyed the old games as well as the new, and want others to be able to have the experience of the older games if they desire. It's amazing how much a tool like the DOSBox program has rekindled interest in older games. I know several titles besides M&M that have benefited from DOSBox. You have Elder Scrolls: Arena, Star Control 2, Master of Magic, and no doubt plenty of other fan favorites that will still attract interest after the latest 'all flash, no substance' graphics-pretty game gets shelved or uninstalled.

I've always tried to approach each forum that I participate in from the viewpoint that my opinions and contributions matter much more than my post count. :D

P.S. - I think Scotty said it the best way in Star Trek 3. "The more they take over the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." I apologize in advance if the quote is not verbatim.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 07 Apr 2006, 01:59

DaveO wrote:Why thank you! Such a heartfelt reply. I am truly touched.

I've always tried to approach each forum that I participate in from the viewpoint that my opinions and contributions matter much more than my post count. :D
I found your new thread. Angelspit says he's gonna move it to the "Other Games" forum tomorrow … which is now called "Hall of the Heretics". :devil:

Return to “Might and Magic”