Might & Magic X Project Status: August 2011

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Might & Magic X Project Status: August 2011

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 03 Aug 2011, 00:55

Original Post Can Be Found Here.

We know it's been awhile since you last heard from us, but now we have another project update for all of you out their following the Might and Magic 10 project!

What we're working on right now:
  • Our story writers are finishing up the main storyline and main questline
    Our concept artists are drawing concept art for several of the Might and Magic characters returning in M&MX
    Our graphic artists are continuing to design characters, items, and other in-game objects
    Our composers are working on the M&MX soundtrack, as well as sound effects
    We have begun designing the intro video for M&MX
Our goals for August 2011:
  • Finishing up the main storyline and quests that will lead to the endgame, and making it one of the greatest stories ever in the M&M Universe
    Releasing more game information to let our fans in on more of the development
    Finishing several new songs for the M&MX soundtrack
    Finishing several character concepts, which will be uploaded onto our new website
    (Possibly) releasing the new website*
    Continuing our difficult quest in hiring dedicated 2D and 3D graphic artists, landmass programmers, sound and media engineers, story writers, and anyone else who has the knowledge skills that it takes to help us make a great game!
*A few words on the website: it's been in limbo for several months now due to our programmer falling out of touch with us. We haven't heard from him in a while, and he has all of the website materials because he was designing it. If we don't hear back from him by the end of the month, we will have to start from (almost) scratch designing the website. If any web developers are interested in lending a hand, please let me know!

My email is MMXAlamar@gmail.com and I will happily talk to anyone who is interested in joining the Might and Magic X project.

It's only a matter of time before the game is finished and yet another chapter in the Might and Magic series comes into existence. Thanks for all of your support!

-Alamar

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 03 Aug 2011, 01:57

Well, not exactly finishing up the storyline, but we're on our way :)
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 03 Aug 2011, 14:05

And I'm doing very good progress with libarcomage. It's nearly finished, only AI and testing left to do. Note that it's a static library for now, since D doesn't support making dynamic ones just yet.

thrakk
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby thrakk » 03 Aug 2011, 21:26

What sort of program is used to create/draw Might and Magic creatures?

What sort of requirements do you have for the quests you need?

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 04 Aug 2011, 00:30

@ thrakk

We're using animated monster sprites right now, which (if I'm correct) involve either 2D art in bitmap format, or 3D art rendered into bitmap format. The monster sprites generally have about 5 frames of animation. Basically this means you can use any graphic editing software from Paint, to Gimp, to Photoshop.

As to your other question, I'm not really sure what you mean, but the questline will work pretty much the same as every other MM game. For example, you'll need to have the first promotion quest finished before you move on to the second promotion, and there's also a linear main questline.

We could certainly use more artists btw! :D

PicturesOfLily
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby PicturesOfLily » 04 Aug 2011, 12:38

Nice! Very nice to hear from you guys again.
Wish I could do something, but I don't really know anything computer-related more than gaming;P (well, more or less).

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 04 Aug 2011, 15:03

PicturesOfLily wrote:Nice! Very nice to hear from you guys again.
Wish I could do something, but I don't really know anything computer-related more than gaming;P (well, more or less).
Thanks! We'll probably need some testers at some point :D

Daerandin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Daerandin » 04 Aug 2011, 18:22

If you were to need testers at some point, I'd be more than willing to participate in looking for bugs, not to mention getting an early look at it.

So when it comes to this point, please keep me in mind.

Oh, and be sure to mention it here as soon as you get the new website up. I have noticed that I get visits on my website from google searches for "might and magic x new website", would be nice to actually have info on my website about that since google for some reason sends people to me for it, haha.

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 04 Aug 2011, 20:33

@ Daerandin

Hmm that's pretty funny! What's your website url?

Daerandin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Daerandin » 05 Aug 2011, 04:33

The website is: http://www.isleofthought.com

I suspect it might be related to the Might and Magic articles there.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 15 Aug 2011, 14:08

How is the engine going?
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 15 Aug 2011, 15:14

well, thats nice, but it is the engine that makes the game, in the end.

ive seen plenty of remakes/total conversion project die due to inability to find the right/code an engine after the story/plot part is done.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 15 Aug 2011, 15:18

GrayFace wrote:How is the engine going?
We're still using Horizon because there isn't another existing engine that we can automatically import all of our assets into that has the same formats as Horizon. This just means that level design will take longer because of the landmass programming; that is unless we get a programmer who is a whiz at hex editing.

hatsforclowns
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby hatsforclowns » 15 Aug 2011, 15:32

MMXAlamar wrote:
GrayFace wrote:How is the engine going?
We're still using Horizon because there isn't another existing engine that we can automatically import all of our assets into that has the same formats as Horizon. This just means that level design will take longer because of the landmass programming; that is unless we get a programmer who is a whiz at hex editing.
How about you just create a simple assembler? Should make it easier.

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 16 Aug 2011, 00:27

hatsforclowns wrote:How about you just create a simple assembler? Should make it easier.
I wish we had someone on the M&MX team that knows how. It would make production much easier and speed things up. Maybe I'll pay a visit to a programmers forum and ask for help. That's something we haven't done yet!

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 16 Aug 2011, 05:05

I never heard of Horizon. What does assembler have to do with it??
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

hatsforclowns
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby hatsforclowns » 16 Aug 2011, 09:53

MMXAlamar wrote:
hatsforclowns wrote:How about you just create a simple assembler? Should make it easier.
I wish we had someone on the M&MX team that knows how. It would make production much easier and speed things up. Maybe I'll pay a visit to a programmers forum and ask for help. That's something we haven't done yet!
Is the map format complicated?

Xography
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Xography » 16 Aug 2011, 12:09

GrayFace wrote:I never heard of Horizon. What does assembler have to do with it??
AFAIK Horizon is the codename of the Game Engine NWC used in MM7-8 (The MM6 Engine was called Landscape or something). It has nothing to do with Assembler, what he wanted to say is that they edit existing maps with a Hex Editor (modding each tile to change the looks). Which doesn't strictly require a "programmer" to do so, since anyone with a Hex Editor and an ODM/DLV documentation can do this easily. It is just a whole lot of work doing this manually.

skinothetis1
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby skinothetis1 » 19 Aug 2011, 01:39

Keep up up good work.I've enden M&M 8 again and now i will play 3 and Xeen - Darkside.So you better finish when i "deliver" the box to Alamar :)

P.S. The web site is developed in (php,asp)?
You have nowhere to run Sheltem. Nore do you!You motherf$#(*@ device!!

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 19 Aug 2011, 07:58

Xography wrote:AFAIK Horizon is the codename of the Game Engine NWC used in MM7-8 (The MM6 Engine was called Landscape or something).
It's the same engine, hence it's Horizon (and Labyrinth for the underground/building areas).

Return to “Might and Magic”