Oblivion- Bane or boon to M&M

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
DaveO
Demon
Demon

Oblivion- Bane or boon to M&M

Unread postby DaveO » 26 Mar 2006, 14:19

I thought I'd post some possible outcomes from Oblivion's release that may influence the next Might and Magic game if Ubisoft decides to produce it.

Possible bane effects:
1. System requirements go thru the roof compared to previous M&M titles and force many to upgrade or pass on the title.
2. Graphics take the primary emphasis and gameplay is way down on the totem pole.
3. Only one Player Character that can be created(no parties)
4. Emphasis on reflexes rather than player chosen skills, attributes, etc
5. Limited replay value

Possible boon effects:
1. An incredibly detailed and open-ended game
2. Dialogue trees with NPCs and many more NPC choices
3. More character class options or possible custom characters
4. A game editor for fan-created mods(likely EXTREMELY wishful thinking, but I can hope)
5. A much larger fan base community desiring to see the next chapter in the M&M series
I'd rather be part bull than a complete sheep.

Justice
War Dancer
War Dancer

Re: Oblivion- Bane or boon to M&M

Unread postby Justice » 26 Mar 2006, 14:44

This is what I beleieve will happen:

Possible bane effects:
1. System requirements go thru the roof compared to previous M&M titles and force many to upgrade or pass on the title.
2. Graphics take the primary emphasis and gameplay is way down on the totem pole.
3. Emphasis on reflexes rather than player chosen skills, attributes, etc
4. Limited replay value

No one woulld be mad enough to do this:Only one Player Character that can be created(no parties)... or at least I hope not :|

Possible boon effects:
1. An incredibly detailed and open-ended game
2. Dialogue trees with NPCs and many more NPC choices
3. More character class options or possible custom characters
4. Makes the old fanbase continue playing, rather than abandoning PC games altogether...

Don't see how there would be a bigger fanbase because of Oblivion... THe mapedtitor is to wishfull, especially with all those rumors of no mapeditor and confirmed no campaign editor for HoMM V :disagree:

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 26 Mar 2006, 15:13

I'm not sure what the point of this post is. Why should Oblivion the next affect Might and Magic at all? They're completely different types of RPGs.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

DaveO
Demon
Demon

Unread postby DaveO » 28 Mar 2006, 17:13

Oblivion may be a different RPG than the M&M series, but I was only trying to post possible outcomes due to Oblivion's sales or popularity. Imitation is a form of flattery oft-repeated with RPG designs.
I'd rather be part bull than a complete sheep.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 28 Mar 2006, 20:05

I agree. Critical success (which is already done!) and good sales for Oblivion might increase the odds of seeing a new Might and Magic RPG. RPGs have the advantage of being playable both on a PC and a console (Oblivion, KOTOR, Final Fantasy, Fable, Deus Ex: Invisible War, and the list goes on). I'm sure that Ubisoft is paying attention and taking notes.

I moved the thread to the M&M forum by the way.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 29 Mar 2006, 23:10

Yes, it is true that the good sales of a game can have influence and in other games of same genre. But I hope the future MnM games will remain to the parts that make them so special games, with some extra features of-course. Damn...I hate even the thought that a future MnM will not have the party-based system(as DM did) or it will be based on action parts :S
Especialy now that MnM moves forward to a next un-known step(f.e. the fall of 3do or the missing of the "father" Jon Van Can.)the fears are more, but as always time will show...
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

starlady11
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby starlady11 » 31 Mar 2006, 18:39

i agree the thought of only one chacter is a horrirble thought,as well as the fight thing :( i still say ssi 3do, and the rest would not have gone under if they had stuck to rpgs, we need some new good ones that are not played online only :mad: patty

purple_kathryn
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby purple_kathryn » 03 Apr 2006, 12:33

Actually I'd quite like them to release 1-5 revamped to be played with windows XP. It was hard enough getting 6-8 installed! (Thank fook for the internet!)

Return to “Might and Magic”