Spells from MM7/8 you wish you got to use more often

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Spells from MM7/8 you wish you got to use more often

Unread postby Xfing » 06 Jul 2011, 23:09

MM7 has revamped the magic schools from their MM6 form, making them more balanced and removing useless spells (Fire Arrow, wtf?). Most spells are actually really great and well balanced, making each magic school useful. Theoretically, at least. In practice, I can blitz through the whole MM7/8 using only a select few spells, while completely, totally neglecting the others. These are: Day-o-Prot, Hour of Power, Protection from Magic, Torch Light, Wizard Eye, Town Portal, Lloyd's Beacon, and Divine Intervention. When Dark, I only use Armageddon, Souldrinker and Dragon Breath, I don't even use Shrapmetal (which is probably a bad thing).

And sometimes it's fun to permanently enchant crappy weapons with Fire Aura and sell them with cosmic profit with a GM Merchant, or to Spirit Lash enemies, or to Destroy Undead or I dunno... Poison Spray people even.

So which are your favorite spells you use much less often than you'd like to?

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 07 Jul 2011, 08:21

Almost all earth school is lacking. Pretty much you can learn it for sole reason of telekinesis(as much as I tried distortion it wasnt that great).

Also damage spells that arnt direct nukes, like fire spike. Used them only on my first game, when I went low level to Barrow downs and needed fire spell for ghosts. Ice blast is quite strong on clumped mobs but its always gathering dust as well. Damage spells on ego usualy turn underused as well, I usualy use harm superseded by fist, ignoring mind damages(although they are stronger I think but it doesnt have that annoying sound). Spirit lash too is strong but needs extremely short range. Immolation is annoying as hell since you cant use it in towns so it's never used.
Interestingly I never use charm, but often use berserk, however never use enslave even though it's better.
From light spells wisps are underused by me, even though its great spell specially in arena. DE is almost never used too due to aging and general lack of necessity.
Sacrifice is interesting as flavor spell but ultimately never used, but it's mm8 replacement is OP as hell.
Control undead is real waste for dark side...
Most other spells have some uses.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 07 Jul 2011, 08:33

Starburst, Toxic Cloud, Incinerate, Flying Fist, Sunray. They all cost too much to be used as often as I'd like.

hatsforclowns
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby hatsforclowns » 07 Jul 2011, 08:52

I usually use quite a wide array of spells, but one that I would want to use a lot more is Reanimate...but I just never get it to work, and when I do, it's just some useless low-level monster :(

Konfuzius
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Konfuzius » 07 Jul 2011, 10:29

I'd like to use enslave more often, but the majority of the stronger monsters are immune/resistant to it.
But basically most damage spells that aren't from fore/earth/dark. They are just too weak and cost too many spellpoints.

What spell I am supposed to cast on monsters whose only weakness is spirit?
Spirit Lash? Great -.-

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 10 Jul 2011, 04:40

Reanimate; this be great spell, but reanimated monsters don't give money when dead again.

Dark Grasp; very good curse, but the casting cost really high and not always hit, might be wasting a turn using this.

Shrinking Ray; one of the best curse, but like Dark Grasp, not always hit. Can affect several target though.

Haste; the weakness after-effect suck.

Starburst, Meteor Shower, Death Blossom; are good spells if you can get them in time. However, when I got them usually the monsters are already have too much HP and resistance to be bothered with such.

Hammerhands; too bad only useful for unarmed attack.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 10 Jul 2011, 06:13

It's not like the weakness effect from Haste should be eliminated, it's that there should be Mass Cure Weakness instead.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 10 Jul 2011, 13:11

I hate Haste for this drug effect: you must cast this spell again and again just not to become Weak.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 10 Jul 2011, 22:49

As for Control Undead, this spell fails on a very fundamental level - it's a Dark spell, and ironically most undead are resistant or immune to Dark. Therefore you can't use it on liches or skeletal dragons (ghaaaay). I think this could be corrected in the Grayface patch if he got a moment (like changing the mechanics of the spell to be of the Light or something).

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 17 Jul 2011, 10:16

Come to think, I've never used Fate either. Not sure what it actually does anyway.

hatsforclowns
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby hatsforclowns » 17 Jul 2011, 10:44

BoardGuest808888 wrote:Come to think, I've never used Fate either. Not sure what it actually does anyway.
I think it increases a single character's chance to hit, but with Mass Bless I've just never had any use for it.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 17 Jul 2011, 12:00

I think it increases a single character's chance to hit, but with Mass Bless I've just never had any use for it.
yes it does, but its damn impractical due to single target and slow duration, but unlike bless it can be casted on enemies, to lower their hit chances.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 17 Jul 2011, 13:12

Indeed, I often use Fate on the Barrow Wights to stop them from paralysing everyone. Still, the spell description is pretty odd, it sounds as if it increases the chance to hit for a single turn.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 31 Jul 2011, 16:56

GreatEmerald wrote:Indeed, I often use Fate on the Barrow Wights to stop them from paralysing everyone. Still, the spell description is pretty odd, it sounds as if it increases the chance to hit for a single turn.
If you play turn-based then that's what it does. I only play in real-time so it works just for a single attack.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 31 Jul 2011, 18:05

I used Poison Spray extensively in all three of my previous MM6, MM7 and MM8 playthroughs. In MM6 it deals Poison elemental damage (Acid Burst too), and in MM7 and MM8 it deals Water damage (In MM7 and MM8 Acid Burst deals Physical due to a bug, and Ice Blast was always bugged), making Poison Spray the highest damaging Water elemental spell in MM7 and MM8 (and it costs only 2 MP, half as much as Sparks and MM6's Poison Spray!)

It's an awesome spell at close range. It deals almost as much damage as MM6's Fire Blast, and matches Sparks. (less projectiles, but more damage per projectile).

Sparks is better on tight corridor due to its bouncing effects. But Poison Spray can hit further and is great when facing a mob of enemies coming from everywhere in front of you.

vladimir-maestro
Genie
Genie

Unread postby vladimir-maestro » 31 Jul 2011, 18:50

Xfing wrote:As for Control Undead, this spell fails on a very fundamental level - it's a Dark spell, and ironically most undead are resistant or immune to Dark. Therefore you can't use it on liches or skeletal dragons (ghaaaay). I think this could be corrected in the Grayface patch if he got a moment (like changing the mechanics of the spell to be of the Light or something).
try it - it perfectly works on undead! not all elemental spells got the same element as school... remember mm7, acid burst, actually it got phisical damage! in mm6 all schools were mixed so dark school got phisical poison and magical damage in one!
You can contact me here:
maestro_mod@yahoo.com
vladud @ yandex.ru - preferred one
---
Site about MODs: http://www.mmgames.ru
---
if you wish to upload some materials for this site - let me know.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 19 Feb 2012, 01:03

vladimir-maestro wrote: try it - it perfectly works on undead! not all elemental spells got the same element as school... remember mm7, acid burst, actually it got phisical damage! in mm6 all schools were mixed so dark school got phisical poison and magical damage in one!
Didn't try this spell out that much in MM7, but in MM8 it always gives a "spell failed" message when used on someone immune to dark. Which defeats the purpose of the whole damned spell :P

the beavers1
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby the beavers1 » 19 Feb 2012, 17:01

MY Favorite spells Are Like this (not in exact order):

1. Town Portal - Just got to have it

2 - Fly - Makes things so much more convenient

3 - Lloyds Becon - Its got its uses for places like Evenmorn and land of giants

4 - sparks - Good for dungeons

5 - Prot. From Magic - VERY useful

6 - Reanimation: Toward the end of the game in mm8 when I have GM dark this is my FAVORITE spell, I have fun going to the place with the unicorns and wisps killing a few unicorns and basilisks and then RAISING THEM! I would continue doing this until I have an army going around killing all the others in which I will continue to raise again for a bigger army MUWAHHAHAHA!

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 19 Feb 2012, 17:04

tress wrote:Immolation is annoying as hell since you cant use it in towns so it's never used.
Depends on when you cast buffs I guess.. I usually cast them before entering a dungeon, so it's useful to me.
Sacrifice is interesting as flavor spell but ultimately never used, but it's mm8 replacement is OP as hell.
I take it you play turn-based? Because as far as I'm concerned, Sacrifice is the best spell in the game. It requires a combination of spells to make it overpowered though: Sacrifice, Souldrinker and Lloyd's Beacon (and maybe Fly).
The idea is to fly around casting Souldrinker on everything while dodging projectiles, then when your dark caster(s) are out of spell points you just Sacrifice a follower and rinse and repeat. When you're out of followers, you cast Town Portal/Lloyd's Beacon to pick up a few more and Lloyd's Beacon back to what you were doing. By far the easiest way to clear entire outside areas.
I did this to kill all the devils outside the Hive in MM7 by just flying through them. The only thing to watch out for is when a devil randomly manages to steal your sorcerer's spell points, causing the Fly spell to wear off, which drops you to the earth at which point a dozen meteor showers from all the devils will kill you.
As for Control Undead, this spell fails on a very fundamental level - it's a Dark spell, and ironically most undead are resistant or immune to Dark. Therefore you can't use it on liches or skeletal dragons (ghaaaay). I think this could be corrected in the Grayface patch if he got a moment (like changing the mechanics of the spell to be of the Light or something).
It wouldn't make any sense at all if Control Undead worked on Liches.
They're not some mindless undead raised by a necromancer... they're as smart as they were in life and in full control of themselves. In fact, because of how their transformation works, they're completely immune to mind and spirit effects.
Come to think, I've never used Fate either. Not sure what it actually does anyway.
It increases a character's chance to hit so much that they're basically garantueed to hit anything no matter what.
This is useful if you're fighting against enemies that are quite a bit tougher than you and none of your characters can hit them.
Or if you have one character (like a Knight or a Thief) who early in the game does alot more damage than your self-magic caster, then you can get alot more use out of your self-magic users turn by casting Fate on your high damage dealer than to attack with the self-magic user.
Alternatively, you can cast it on enemies which will pretty make garantuee that their next attack misses. This could be useful against enemies with abilities that incapacitate your party members (sleep, stoning, paralyze, insta-unconscious, insta-kill, insta-incinerate, et al).
I guess you could also try using Fate as a poor-man's Paralyze against Tolberti... Not sure if that would work.

Just keep in mind that it only works for one turn (in turnbased) or one action (in realtime).
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 19 Feb 2012, 20:48

Macros the Black wrote:I guess you could also try using Fate as a poor-man's Paralyze against Tolberti... Not sure if that would work.
He shoots twice per turn.

Return to “Might and Magic”