Essay: An analysis of Light/Darkness or Good/Evil in MM7

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 06 Dec 2012, 00:32

I don't see any problem with the tenses in Escaton's quotes. It simply means that Escaton wasn't on Enroth when he became aware of the infestation and decided "ultimate force" to be necessary. When he did arrive on Enroth, they were already dead. But the process had already begun - if not physically, then at least in so far that his programming had activated. As a mechanism, Escaton probably sees himself as part of the Convocation process.

Anyways, he didn't perceive the chance of survival to be 0%. Otherwise, he wouldn't say "I still feel that I was right to err on the side of caution".
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

Slayer of Cliffracers
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Slayer of Cliffracers » 07 Dec 2012, 13:32

Macros the Black wrote:I don't see any problem with the tenses in Escaton's quotes. It simply means that Escaton wasn't on Enroth when he became aware of the infestation and decided "ultimate force" to be necessary. When he did arrive on Enroth, they were already dead. But the process had already begun - if not physically, then at least in so far that his programming had activated. As a mechanism, Escaton probably sees himself as part of the Convocation process.

Anyways, he didn't perceive the chance of survival to be 0%. Otherwise, he wouldn't say "I still feel that I was right to err on the side of caution".
The problem is that he basically said he made the decision to destroy Enroth before he actually arrived, but why do that? Why did so much time elapse between Escaton being called and him actually arriving to destroy the planet. That requires explanation, the Kreegans could easily have overran the whole planet in that time.

It could be 0.7% couldn't it? I did say approximately 0%.

It is him that made the decision right, but he seemingly made the decision remotely. What is the point of programming a system to calculate what it is going to do when it arrives based upon a state of affairs several years prior to it's arrival? It seems logical that Escaton wasn't supposed to arrive so late.

We also have the angel summoning system, aka portals of glory to take into account. Why create one system to negate the efforts of the another system, Ancients are supposed to be smart right? At the same time we have Escaton deciding to destroy the planet we also have the Angel System summoning angels to save the planet.
Working on tracking the locations of Heroes IV battles. Stage 6 of campaign map finished, all initial Heroes IV campaigns mapped.

http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/ ... hp?t=11973

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 09 Dec 2012, 18:36

Well, what if Escaton (and the Angels) were supposed to use the Gate Web, which of course was severed by the Ancients when they realized they had to retreat from the system.
That at least explains how they were both late.

There's also the question of how much Escaton has to do with Armageddon's Blade and the Sword of Frost. It can't be a coincedence that he sends his little techno-spider to inform "them" that he failed, and eventually the planet still blows up anyway. I don't know who originally forged the Sword of Frost, but perhaps the answer to that question is also what explains why there were multiple different defense mechanisms set up by the Ancients that didn't really play together well.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

Return to “Might and Magic”