Essay: An analysis of Light/Darkness or Good/Evil in MM7

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Essay: An analysis of Light/Darkness or Good/Evil in MM7

Unread postby Xfing » 05 Jul 2011, 16:56

After several playthroughs of MM7 I have noticed a very clear stance of the NPCs on the nature of good and evil. When playing as a child I was much more impressionable and following the Path of Darkness was like the most intense evil experience I've ever had in gaming (never since beat, even in Oblivion etc). Today, in retrospect, the "evil" of Erathia isn't so impactful for me, though still to a degree. Let's discuss the nature of evil briefly.

What it generally boils down to in MM7 is selflessness vs selfishness, self-sacrifice vs sacrifice of others for your own ends. The good people are unconcerned by their own well-being, while the evil ones view this as their only priority, that's the basic difference. Many of the promotions of the Dark Path don't actually seem inherently evil (or more precisely: one could imagine non-evil people holding some of those ranks). The storylines of the Light and Dark paths are a contrast of hope for a better tomorrow and opportunist lust for power. The good guys wish to go home and continue their search for the Ancients (which would likely have been expanded upon had NWC made more MM games), while the bad guys didn't care anymore and wished to use the extant technology to usher in a new era of tyranny. Due to the scrapping of the Forge scenario, the Light path ending has been established as canon, but the effects of it have been left a loose end as well. One might theorize that in the future MM games Resurectra's team would have found the Ancients and returned to COLONY/Enroth and restored it to life single handedly after the Reckoning. If one considered the Dark Path scenario canon, the Forges would probably have sprung up all over Antagarich and conquered almost all of the continent before being obliterated by the Armageddon's Blade. The ironic thing is that the technology of the Heavenly Forges in the right hands would have given Erathia untold benefits, but Kastore decided to use them to produce naga tanks etc. This just shows how lust for power and ambition are capable of twisting a person's mind, making him absolutely uncaring of anyone's good but his own. And that's what being evil in MM7 amounts to. Let's now take a look at the promoted classes.

Champion/Black Knight

In a nicely surprising manner, MM7 introduced an evil but not undead knight, the Black Knight. The promotor Frederick Org notes that a Black Knight is a bold and daring criminal who engages in robberies and such. While the Champion fights for justice and to protect his people, the Black Knight usually does so only to further his interests or to cause others pain or suffering. Both classes tend to grow famous or notorious quickly, with Champions relying on Arena victories and Black Knights on their various misdemeanors and crimes. Frederick Org suggests that a Black Knight is evil at heart, but we have no idea whether this evil amounts to just being excessively selfish, or to deliberately hurting and torturing people for pleasure (as a Villain would). In any case, the Black Knights pride themselves on being courageous and never hesitant to act. A good example of one would probably be Lord Haart (although unsure here).

Spy/Assassin

This promotion fork shows that some people are just bad and they'll stay bad - the only question is just how bad. Bill Lasker only promotes Light Path Rogues because of the fact that he works for Queen Catherine, who herself claims to be of the Light. However, Lasker also had no qualms about sending the player to steal the vase Lord Markham received from Queen Catherine, so the reasons for his promotion seem more than just political. After you complete the Spy promotion quest, Lasker congratulates you on potentially saving many lives, which hows how deep down inside he's simply a good person. Therefore a Spy is a Rogue who has been given the opportunity to put his "shady" skills to use for the greater good. The Assassin on the other hand, instead of saving lives, takes them. He does so for pay, so not only must he be completely merciless, but also strictly selfish. The promotor Seknit Undershadow seems to be a nice fellow, but sense of humor can often serve only to disguise the feeling of guilt.

Hero/Villain

The epitomes of good and evil. These two guys, being Paladins, act good or evil on principle. The Hero enjoys nohting more than the rush of satisfaction from performing a good deed, while the Villain finds ecstasy in causing pain and suffering. Both of these classes have been somehow infantilized and hyperbolized to the point of appearing grotesque, as both Quixote and Will Setag seem to be extremely cliché and flamboyant. They also require the player to perform utterly stereotypical actions perceived as good or evil, but in honesty being more comical than anything else. Be that as it may, the Villain is probably the most intensely evil type of folk you'll find, and he's proud of it. He doesn't seem to actually be selfish, as doing evil itself is reward enough for him. Both he and the Hero are like more flamboyant and radiant versions of the Champion/Black Knight, also being very courageous and eager to prove themselves.

Master Archer/Sniper

Master Archer is what seems to be a natural progression for an Archer, but MM7 requires the Light Path to go this way. The Dark Path, on the other hand, offers your Warrior Mages to become Snipers. A Sniper doesn't seem like an overly pleasant job, but there appears to be no inherent evil in being one. As Steagal Snick suggests, all it takes to be a Sniper is a merciless heart needed to have no regrets after killing people from a distance. He seems to be a nice or at least reasonable folk, although somewhat jaded and disillusioned with the world (he expresses considerable disdain towards the notion of peace treaties), however he shows no cruelty, dark humor, ruling ambition nor any other trait that could be considered evil. Our characters, following the Path of Dark are of course all evil and selfish, but a Sniper wouldn't always have to act evil or in a destructive way. The Master Archer Lawrence Mark, on the other hand, seems to be slightly arrogant, or at least very proud of his archery skills. Other than that, he's a kind-hearted man with a strong sense of justice, as opposed to the more pragmatical Snick. He is perceived by Snick as "lily-livered", which probably reflects his peaceful and unaggressive nature and hesitation when it comes to killing others. Overall, Snipers seem to be one of the the more interesting morally ambiguous classes.

Master/Ninja

Stephan Sand explains it all very well, a Ninja is a follower of the "more aggressive side of disciplined life". The Ninjas are merciless warriors for hire, ready to kill anyone if the pay is right. They display crabby demeanor, and even their skills point at the activities they'll likely engage in (bonuses to stealing and trap disarming). They stand as a polar opposite to the serene and spiritual Masters, who are peaceful, wise and insightful. The Ninjas instead are cruel, snide and ambitious. They also seem to perceive their status as something to be proud of in relation to their pasts as simple Monks, whom they view as weak. Sand himself also seems to express a significant loathing for "sniveling do-gooders", because of their being considerate for others. This only shows how egotistical your typical Ninja is - probably due to the places they live in where all that matters is your personal strength. This leads us to the conclusion that the Ninja is just another person who has lost faith in the good of this world, probably due to somebody failing him at some point. A person made evil by others.

Ranger Lord/Bounty Hunter

A Ranger is the jack-of-all-trades. A survival-oriented individualist capable of learning anything they can to maintain themselves. A Ranger Lord is someone who has grown attached to the land and ready to serve and protect it. All the skills he's picked up, he'll use to quell the troubles of the land, being content only with a place to sleep and some food. The Bounty Hunter is the polar opposite - having severed his ties with the land, he uses his various abilities only to make money, therefore making him the most selfish character out there. According to Ebednezer Sower, what should drive a Bounty Hunter is his pleasure of killing, being the only confirmed class to derive actual pleasure from doing this. This puts the Bounty Hunter among the most morally despicable Dark Path characters.

Arch Druid/Warlock

Arch Druids are calm, wise souls maintaining a strong connection to the land and acting in servitude to it, much like Rangers. They're spiritual and sage-like in nature, and don't seem to be overly temperamental. Warlocks, on the other hand, are more selfish, ambitious and power-hungry, using their powers to their own benefit, rather than the land's. Tor Anwyn suggests that the Warlocks are neutral in alignment "following the Path of Twilight or Dawn", however he adds that his spells and rituals cannot promote someone pure of heart (a Light Path follower). That could mean that ambition and lust for power are traits that nurture the very essence of what a Warlock is - though not necessarily evil, it can consume the Warlock and make him actually a seriously bad guy. In-game, the Warlocks are referred to as reasonable, good traders and relatively calm (never starting a fight), and they boast a good amount of achievements in alchemy, metallurgy and craftsmanship. They also express a loathing for Necromancy and Lichdom, which they share with the inherently good factions. Tor Anwyn himself is polite and doesn't belittle the player for choosing the Light Path - if he is the leader of all the Warlocks, then it's a strong argument about the Warlocks not being inherently evil. Of course, if they travel with a party allied with Deyja, it's another story...

Priest of the Light/Priest of the Dark

In the case of these two fellows it all boils down to religious differences. The former worships one religion, the latter the other. What's apparent is their devotion to their faith that can border on fanaticism. The Priests of the Light follow a religion that teaches to be good to others and preaches non-violence, serenity and peace, while the Priests of the Dark adhere to a cult that promotes human sacrifice, among other things. Being so devoted to their faiths as they are, it can be established that their personalities reflect very well what they worship. This makes Priests of the Dark intensely evil abominations (as if using the Dark Magic itself wasn't enough) who murder and sacrifice people for their own benefit. I have no idea whether Priests of the Dark have to maintain chastity, but even if they do, their vile ways more than make up for it.

Archmage/Lich

The sorcerers lusting for knowledge can also take two paths, one leading towards the power of Light, the other towards Necromancy and self-destruction. The good Sorcerers, when they become Archmagi, develop great powers, but use them for the good. They can be devastating in fights when they need to, but overall they maintain a cheerful demeanor with a bright sense of humor and brisk perkiness. When lust for power consumes a Wizard, though, he often gets tempted to practice Dark Magic. Necromancy and other Dark arts drain the life from the mage the more they are used, so in the end they must become Liches or die. A Lich is a soulless, immortal undead creature retaining its full intelligence from life. They are most certainly evil, as the sole fact of being ready to sacrifice your own flesh for the sake of eternal power proves their excessive ambition. Halfgild Wynac said that he found life more painful than Lichdom, so it's possible that some Wizards and Necromancers wish to attain Lichdom to escape the sorrows of mortal life. Be that as it may, Liches are almost unanimously evil and they tend to scheme and vie for power whenever they can, Sandro being the prime example.

I hope this essay was not overly annoying. Please share your own opinions regarding good, evil and neutrality in the M&M universe! :)
Last edited by Xfing on 05 Jul 2011, 18:13, edited 1 time in total.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 05 Jul 2011, 17:39

*Counting the bounty just received from the Town Hall.*
Good research, boy, it seems that you looked at the bottom of my heart!

hatsforclowns
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby hatsforclowns » 05 Jul 2011, 18:11

I have never been a fan of alignment -- Light vs. Dark, Good vs. Evil -- in games, and actually outright ignore it (or try to), no matter what the game. I always get very irritated when games try to strictly force you into one or the other; even in Deus Ex -- which is the only game that I have played that I would give a score of 11 (legendary), where it get's narrower by the end, even some places earlier that were annoying.

Then again, some games are more linear, others more open, and features such as "alignment" do not destroy a game...but it can get annoying.

I just ignore any alignment, and follow my own heart and mind.

In MM7 I still haven't played for either side in the Erathia-Avlee conflict, I always play them for fools. When it came to the Light vs. Dark path I couldn't care less for either of them, but I played both sides, and found I liked the Light path better, so that's what I've played ever since...even if it meant losing Dark Magic GM.

As for the promotions, I don't really care, and it pretty much depends on your chosen path anyway.

However, this was a good essay and a very good overview. :thumbsup:

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 05 Jul 2011, 18:19

Thanks, guys. What irks me a bit about this game is the lack of actual interaction from NPCs that would emphasize the fact of my party members being either good or evil. The only hints I get is from the promotors, but that's not enough. It would be cool if upon second promotions on the Dark Path the character portraits developed a permanent evil sneer or something like that :P

Anyway, I like writing fan fiction, and I'll probably write one detailing the alternate events of "Armageddon's Blade", assuming that Kastore won. That would be fun :)

hatsforclowns
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby hatsforclowns » 05 Jul 2011, 18:27

Xfing wrote:Thanks, guys. What irks me a bit about this game is the lack of actual interaction from NPCs that would emphasize the fact of my party members being either good or evil. The only hints I get is from the promotors, but that's not enough. It would be cool if upon second promotions on the Dark Path the character portraits developed a permanent evil sneer or something like that :P

Anyway, I like writing fan fiction, and I'll probably write one detailing the alternate events of "Armageddon's Blade", assuming that Kastore won. That would be fun :)
One of the main reasons that I never play Evil (or alignment at all, for that matter), not even for fun...is that is simply doesn't matter, it has no consequences.

It maybe gives you access to different skills or a few dialogue options, but other than that it does fuck all :( The world around you is indifferent and utterly numb to anything you do.

Not to mention that I still haven't played a single game (although I might have missed some) where it actually implemented fame/reputation/change in alignment properly, the very second you as much as turn your blade towards someone, the entire world automatigally knows what you did.

So, why bother? :(

And no, instead of any innovation and creativity in this particular field, or any other field/features, we just get more regurgitated, boring graphiXXX. :(:(:(:(

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 05 Jul 2011, 18:46

Very interesting analysis.

I just want to note that you seem to miss out on a bit of ambiguity with the Priests of Light and Dark - Dyson Leland in MM8 more or less testifies that the Temple of the Sun is probably worse than the Necromancers for its hypocrisy and abuses.

You want ambiguity, though, play Heroes IV. Shows you the nasty and nice sides of all factions (aside from the goody-goody Lysander).

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 05 Jul 2011, 19:09

hatsforclowns wrote: I always get very irritated when games try to strictly force you into one or the other; even in Deus Ex -- which is the only game that I have played that I would give a score of 11 (legendary), where it get's narrower by the end, even some places earlier that were annoying.
Dude, that's like my favorite game ever. Props for liking it! Have you ever tried to play it with Shifter?

As for your insight regarding the numbness of the world towards your actions, I fully agree. You chosing Darkness does basically nothing, except for the final outcome.

And Corlagon, I might try out Homm4 someday too. Thanks for reminding me about Dyson - I liked that guy, he was disillusioned with both the hypocritical Clerics and the deathmongering Necromancers, quite an interesting character indeed.

hatsforclowns
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby hatsforclowns » 05 Jul 2011, 19:39

Xfing wrote:
hatsforclowns wrote: I always get very irritated when games try to strictly force you into one or the other; even in Deus Ex -- which is the only game that I have played that I would give a score of 11 (legendary), where it get's narrower by the end, even some places earlier that were annoying.
Dude, that's like my favorite game ever. Props for liking it! Have you ever tried to play it with Shifter?
Deus Ex is without a doubt No. 1 on my list! Lots of other superb games, but IMHO Deus Ex still takes the cake, hands down :):)

I probably have played Shifter, although I can't remember, I've played so many mods ;) The Nameless Mod is also a huge favourite of mine.
Xfing wrote:As for your insight regarding the numbness of the world towards your actions, I fully agree. You chosing Darkness does basically nothing, except for the final outcome.
Yes, it's a little disappointing how little it does in most games.
Xfing wrote:And Corlagon, I might try out Homm4 someday too. Thanks for reminding me about Dyson - I liked that guy, he was disillusioned with both the hypocritical Clerics and the deathmongering Necromancers, quite an interesting character indeed.
Dyson was a fun character, I often swap Talimere for Leyland :)

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 05 Jul 2011, 20:39

Interesting indeed, and I like how you don't spoil too mush for people like me who haven't played one of the sides :D

So yea, it seems that you can find pretty much every type of evil there, starting from Chaotic Neutral (or even Chaotic Good) and ending with Chaotic Evil.

Speaking of other favourite games, my personal favourite Mass Effect doesn't really have a good or evil alignment, but rather lawful/chaotic or idealist/cynical. That affects your decisions, which affects the whole story, so it does matter, especially given that there are three games to make it matter.

Never played Deus Ex, but it's also an Unreal Engine game, so it might be worth checking out.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 06 Jul 2011, 06:04

Quite interesting post, though ultimately considering NPC have personality generated by grand total of few lines of text, there isnt really that much material into dwelling into light/dark morality.

Well to comment a little. Inded in most cases light dark here is valor vs selfishness. Black knight really dont have much to comment on but considering only Frederick Org comments on it, it just as well may be self glorified goon, champion on the other hand is self glorified knight, after all he didnt do anything heroic.

However there is some gray areas I wouldn't agree. For example bounty hunter and assassin,spy in general are not intrinsically evil. Killing might be despicable task, but generally both dark side class term more reffer to characters who do this for sake of job/duty rather than pleasure and thus their indvidual "badness " is limited by each individual moral code. Yes they are more shady and usually more evil than light countrparts but it is not always so. Spy on other hand have different work profile, but again all that matters is his allegiance.

Ninja/monk. Well ninja is just anoither word for an assassin in this context so it is hard to compare him to master as they are idiologically too different, but again ultimately their alligment is not set in stone, only their means are.

mage/.lich - well liches(in all fictions there is only handful of exceptions) are generally considered evil due to nature, so there is no much room for moral maneuvering.

If we consider main plot line - kastore vs resurectra. Kastore was plain selfish and wanted to get power, on other hand resurecra was not that muc interested in helping local populace with that network gate as it doesnt seem that local peasants were aware of this network after mm7. Basically she wanted power and goodies too, just not in such direct and ruthless way.

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 06 Jul 2011, 07:10

Excellent work! Just one thing - COLONY is not an name of the planet, it's from non-canon Might ad Magic: Book of Ceth, which contradicts many other canonical facts as well. The canonical name of the planet is Enroth.

BTW, what makes some people think that the Clerics of the Temple of Sun in Murmurwoods were hypocritical? They were acting as successors to the original Church of the Sun and were pretty much keeping up its traditions. Dyso hated them because he considered himself abandoned by his brethren in the Necromancer's Guild (where he was double agent). However, I don't remember much about the Temple of Sun plotline, maybe there was indeed something ugly about them.
Last edited by XEL II on 06 Jul 2011, 07:17, edited 2 times in total.
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 06 Jul 2011, 07:13

tress wrote:on other hand resurecra was not that muc interested in helping local populace with that network gate as it doesnt seem that local peasants were aware of this network after mm7. Basically she wanted power and goodies too, just not in such direct and ruthless way.
Actually, no. Resurectra wanted to help Enroth end the Silence era and be reunited with the Ancients. She wanted to find Ancients on behalf of the whole planet. After MM VII, local populace (in Bracada, at least) is aware of the reactiation of the Web Gate.
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 06 Jul 2011, 07:44

Yes, but still not in AB nor in chronicles there isn't any mention of this network, so its safe to assume that this knowledge is spread only to heroes, and very top of Bracadians. On other hand it;s not always good idead to give new technologies to such medieval warring factions , even if they aren't ancient tech.

Also about mm8 cleric/necro conflict. Perhaps game did not elaborated enough of this topic, due to rushed development/lack of story telling means or just lack of decent story, but it always seemed that sun clerics just harassed necro guiild that was built in middle of desert and did not bothered anyone. After all it was built in Jadame which is relatively untamed continent, and there was no single mention that they harassed neighbors(and there was no complaints from other location peasants) on par with Deya who's favorite pastime was harvesting borders.
Last edited by Tress on 06 Jul 2011, 07:53, edited 1 time in total.

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 06 Jul 2011, 07:48

Why should the Gate be mentioned, for instance, during the Demon Wars of Erathia against Eeofol in AB (even though Bracada and Harmondale indirectly took part in it) or Lord Harrt's cult invasion of Tatalia? The story just doesn't ivolve the Gate. Its an asset of two nations, Bracada and Harmondale, who are researching other worlds in search for the Ancients (Light ending).

MM VIII had a good story :)

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 06 Jul 2011, 07:51

Speaking of Kastore/Resurrectra's goals, it would be interesting if Resurrectra used the Oscillator to enable the Heavenly Forge and then replicate another Oscillator which would then be used to open the Web Gate. Or they could replicate armour and weapons and then close the Forge and open the Web Gate. It doesn't seem like taking it out is that hard. That would allow them to be better prepared in case they land in a planet under Kreegan rule or such.

But yes, the two paths have similarities. Resurrectra wants the whole technology of the Ancients and thus tries to find them personally, while Kastore is content with a part of their technology, as long as he gets it fast and controls it.

Though I guess Resurrectra's plan is not that good, since for one, finding an Ancient world is difficult enough (not that she knew before using the Oscillator, though), and if she did find it, the Ancients would be too worn out from the fight with the Kreegans to try and reclaim one of their colonies.

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 06 Jul 2011, 07:58

The notion that Ancients would be "worn out" is baseless. They are a supercivilization for crying out loud :) The matter is just that they are distracted by the continuing fighting against the Kreegan. But if they came into direct contact with Enroth, they would surely reclaim it.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 06 Jul 2011, 08:30

XEL II wrote:Why should the Gate be mentioned, for instance, during the Demon Wars of Erathia against Eeofol in AB (even though Bracada and Harmondale indirectly took part in it) or Lord Harrt's cult invasion of Tatalia? The story just doesn't ivolve the Gate. Its an asset of two nations, Bracada and Harmondale, who are researching other worlds in search for the Ancients (Light ending).

MM VIII had a good story :)
It should be mentioned for sole reason of inevitable influx of culture and technology that would come from such network if it would be publicly available. Imagine stargate tv series, and how life changes to civilizations if they are suddenly attached to portal system even if it isnt attached to any advanced civilization. Fact that there is no single mention of the whole ancient stuff outside off mm7/6 series, I can only assume that it is far from public knowledge.

As of mm8 story. I consider it relativelly poor because , it's connection to rest of world is quite weak, it have some characters like Catherine, but ultimately it just falls to continent and events that just as well(without harm to rest of story) could be discarded. Also if we take factions, they are not that well thought up. Ok lets say Jadame have no real countries and elves run things through their merchant influence. But with whom in the hell they are trading, beaten up priests and necro guild who moved there just recently? and before that? Doubt they just made their profit through lizardman pumpkins. If there isnt legal powers aside from merchants,(that are more of an influence) why there is smugglers(from whom those smugglers are hiding)? Furthermore who are those dark elves? Why they are associated with darknes, why they have spider motiff(aside that from being drow symbol, though thees elves are nothing like drow), thees aspects are either poorly elaborated or thought out.

Konfuzius
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Konfuzius » 06 Jul 2011, 13:58

I wouldn't consider Liches as evil. Liches sacrifice their flesh to increase their life and focus to increase their knowledge.
They can spend much more time in learning dark arts due to the longer live and because they don't have to please the needs of a living like eating, sleeping or being ill (although they can be diseased and need slepp, but that is more a gameplay element).

Also I wouldn't say that practising dark arts makes you evil (or vice versa with light), many people in MM6 told that.
In the end it is the way you life and the actions you perform.

I played MM7 3 times and 2 times I wanted to try the light side, but in the end I didn't want to disclaim dark magic and having a Lich in my party.

Also I can't identify myself with the Knight in Shining Armor

Wort reading imo:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... htAndMagic (everything MM7 related)[/url]

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 06 Jul 2011, 15:58

XEL II wrote:The notion that Ancients would be "worn out" is baseless. They are a supercivilization for crying out loud :) The matter is just that they are distracted by the continuing fighting against the Kreegan. But if they came into direct contact with Enroth, they would surely reclaim it.
Being a supercivilisation didn't stop the Klingons/Borg from wearing out the Federation (see TNG: Yesterday's Enterprise, for instance), so the Kreegan/Creators could as easily wear out the Ancients. There is little point in reclaiming a colony that is no longer an effective asset in fighting the enemy, since it would be too difficult to maintain it. Of course, if they had the Armageddon's Blade at the time, it could have made a difference...

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 06 Jul 2011, 17:03

Federation wasn't supercivilization, the Ancients are clearly more avanced that the Federation.

Armageddon's Blade is not really much powerful in the scope of the Kreegan (as a whole, with all the high-tech stuff) and the Ancients. It's a powerful magical artifact and that's pretty much it. The Blade in the original AB (with the Forge town) was much more powerful, however.
Last edited by XEL II on 02 Nov 2011, 17:49, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Might and Magic”