Some MM4/5 Questions

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Nudal
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Some MM4/5 Questions

Unread postby Nudal » 02 Jul 2011, 22:43

I felt like digging up this old gem and playing again, and I was wondering if it was possible to get custom picture/portraits for heroes in the game, or add/edit the classes/races and all that.

I saw a lot of things about the later MM games but not much regarding this... Also.. is there a way to change the volume in the game at all, like through a text file? I want sound, but its just too loud, and overpowering my other sounds(namely, the ventrilo server I always sit in to talk to friends.)

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Re: Some MM4/5 Questions

Unread postby tolich » 03 Jul 2011, 06:16

Nudal wrote:I saw a lot of things about the later MM games but not much regarding this...
Did you know that `Swords of XEEN` is a fanmade mod to MM4/5? Though it add custom portraits (all basic party has custom portraits lol), they didn't add classess or races.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 03 Jul 2011, 09:40

Maybe there are some editors, but I'm not sure about that. Either way, Xeen Wiki is a place to start.

You should be able to change the volume in DOSBox. Read its documentation to find out how, or use Google.

SoX started as a mod, but weren't they given the source code or tools by NWC?

Nudal
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Nudal » 03 Jul 2011, 11:01

tolich wrote:Did you know that `Swords of XEEN` is a fanmade mod to MM4/5? Though it add custom portraits (all basic party has custom portraits lol), they didn't add classess or races.
I know about SoX, but its a clunky semi-sequel that doesn't have the charm of the original WoX. What do you mean by "all basic party has custom portraits"? I was personally wondering how to add in Maximus' portrait from MM3... Which is not available by default. Is there a method of adding them I was not aware of?

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 03 Jul 2011, 12:01

Nudal wrote:What do you mean by "all basic party has custom portraits"?
Ah, sorry for that spoofing. SoX uses but MM5 graphics. I was sure that all portraits are made for this game, but all they can be found in tavern character generation. Sorry.
Nudal wrote:I was personally wondering how to add in Maximus' portrait from MM3... Which is not available by default. Is there a method of adding them I was not aware of?
Try XeeN Studio.

Rune_Caster
Demon
Demon

Xeen Studio

Unread postby Rune_Caster » 05 Jul 2011, 11:22

Good job, who ever made this...

Rune_Caster
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Rune_Caster » 07 Jul 2011, 03:46

Xeen Studio who is the creator?

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 07 Jul 2011, 08:17

Apparently those who have been working on Rebirth of XEEN and made things like file extractor, music player etc. I am yet to check that tool, however.

Rune_Caster
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Rune_Caster » 08 Jul 2011, 09:19

Xeen Studio it lets you look at the game files, maps etc, it seems to work pretty good, Xeen.CC the world maps have names, no town or dungeon names but you can look at them. 3D View under the map viewer doesn't seem to work right it displays an error and asks if you want to continue or Quit.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 08 Jul 2011, 20:46

Just got the time to check it, and yes, you're right about that. Also, MusicTest.exe in the files section works just as the older XeenMusic.exe, except that this one tends to crash the whole command line if you enter the wrong parameters.

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 08 Jul 2011, 21:52

Wow, the XEEN Studio looks great. It will be of invaluable use for the wiki and all that nonsense. :)

Does anyone else get a crash error when trying to view the NPC portraits?

Rune_Caster
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Rune_Caster » 09 Jul 2011, 07:14

What Version? I have 0.1.0.3 of Xeen Studio...

I am hoping understanding the assembly language will allow a re-make of the Xeen engine to run World of Xeen on modern computer systems...

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 09 Jul 2011, 08:04

Not me.

Agalloch
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Agalloch » 10 Jul 2011, 09:00

Corlagon wrote:Wow, the XEEN Studio looks great. It will be of invaluable use for the wiki and all that nonsense. :)

Does anyone else get a crash error when trying to view the NPC portraits?
The main developer behind Xeen Studio - WizardStan from the Darkside board at Gamespot for those who visit it - maintains a Wiki for all the internals of Xeen already at http://xeen.wikia.com/wiki/Xeen_Wiki. The existence of this Wiki is the reason I've never added technical details to our own Wiki, but can add details from my own Notes (a little more extensive) if you want the Celestial Heavens wiki to be complete?

Also, Rune_Caster, you may remember this topic - http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/ ... p?p=296959 - And I am still working on it. WizardStan, who helped produce XeenStudo is also building an engine afaik that is slightly behind my own and which he hasn't worked on in a while.

There is another editor available for Xeen files, http://games.playazlounge.net/. The Outdoor Map editor allows editing of the Overworld Map.

legendoferthia
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby legendoferthia » 10 Jul 2011, 09:33

@Tolich - Thanks a lot for sharing this program, "Xeen Studio," I have been looking for something like this for a long time. How did you come across this?

This will help massively for LOE, I have ben looking for some front view graphics like cities and wells for a while and this will help finish that.
MIGHT AND MAGIC INSPIRED GAME: Legend of Erthia - Armageddon!
https://www.facebook.com/thelegendoferthia

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 10 Jul 2011, 13:13

Err, that was not me who shared it.

Agalloch
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Agalloch » 10 Jul 2011, 13:18

tolich wrote:Err, that was not me who shared it.
You did, Fifth Post.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 10 Jul 2011, 13:29

Agalloch wrote:You did, Fifth Post.
No, I didn't. Perhaps I revealed this, but there's someone else who made it, uploaded to site and therefore shared. Anyone could visit this topic and then follow the link.

Agalloch
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Agalloch » 10 Jul 2011, 13:35

tolich wrote:
Agalloch wrote:You did, Fifth Post.
No, I didn't. Perhaps I revealed this, but there's someone else who made it, uploaded to site and therefore shared. Anyone could visit this topic and then follow the link.
Ahh I see, miscommunication. no worries. By "share", savetara meant "reveal" - I think they understand that you didn't write it because they asked you how you came across it, which that post now reveals!

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 10 Jul 2011, 14:01

tolich wrote:No, I didn't. Perhaps I revealed this, but there's someone else who made it, uploaded to site and therefore shared
shared =/= created

Return to “Might and Magic”