Map of the MM6-8 planet

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
hatsforclowns
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby hatsforclowns » 19 Jun 2011, 13:49

Corlagon wrote:
hatsforclowns wrote:What exactly is it that makes travelling the seas dangerous?
Everyone in MM6 either whines about the Regnans, the Water Elementals, the Sea Serpents or the freezing-cold waters. Take your pick.
Gotcha!
Corlagon wrote:
hatsforclowns wrote:dare I assume that the Endless Ocean would be a synonym for the continuous ocean that seems to run around the equator?
Perhaps, but the Endless Ocean is also geographically defined: http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... anicFr.png
I did find that map, but assumed they also meant the ocean above, Antagarich is still some distance away from Regna, so if it was strictly near Antagarich's northwestern coast it would be a bit of a stretch to call themselves "Pirates of the Endless Ocean." Or?
Corlagon wrote:
hatsforclowns wrote:Any ideas?
There are some enormous islands whose position on the world map is not known, like Dragon Isle from Archibald's campaign in Heroes II. This could represent them. Also:

"Erathia is out of even Town Portal's long range. That continent is a full six week's worth of sea travel away. There are a lot of islands and sub-continents between here and there, all of them filled with petty kingdoms and tribes looking to rob travelers of their valuables, their freedom, or their lives."
Great! At least if all else fails, I have something to try and flesh out the region with. I also found another NPC text that said Erathia was only 3 weeks away:
Although no shipping companies are currently offering the service, Erathia, homeland of Queen Catherine Ironfist, can be reached in a voyage of three weeks or so, depending on the season. Ain't never been there, but they tell me it's nice.
But that seems a tad short, unless they have quite advanced and large sailing ships that are capable of quite the speed in favourable conditions. Anyway, I'll have to take a closer look at times and distances once I get the positions and extents worked out.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 19 Jun 2011, 13:57

Has anybody ever made a Heroes 3 map of Jadame / MM8?

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 19 Jun 2011, 14:12

I did find that map, but assumed they also meant the ocean above, Antagarich is still some distance away from Regna, so if it was strictly near Antagarich's northwestern coast it would be a bit of a stretch to call themselves "Pirates of the Endless Ocean." Or?
Quite true - I think the Endless Ocean extends much further north, and is simply the large gulf between the three continents.

Would you like an audit of every single named geographical location on Enroth? I have all the games' text files so it might help you out.

hatsforclowns
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby hatsforclowns » 19 Jun 2011, 14:25

Corlagon wrote:
Quite true - I think the Endless Ocean extends much further north, and is simply the large gulf between the three continents.

Would you like an audit of every single named geographical location on Enroth? I have all the games' text files so it might help you out.
I have the text files as well! Good ol' mm7view and unlod!

Still, I don't know Might & Magic as well as I know other games, and I haven't played HMM1 or 2, only the third one only half-way maybe, so I certainly wouldn't mind the help! However, at the moment it's more about the continents, major islands, and their relative positions, so going too deeply into the detailed geography/regionality of the individual continents is maybe a bit too soon.
Corlagon wrote:Has anybody ever made a Heroes 3 map of Jadame / MM8?
I think there is a Jadame map somewhere, I've seen the screenshot...but I can't remember where.

EDIT: Here it is!

http://www.maps4heroes.com/heroes3/maps ... ty=&sort=2
Last edited by hatsforclowns on 19 Jun 2011, 14:33, edited 2 times in total.

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 19 Jun 2011, 14:30

Person telling that Erathia is 3 weeks away is unsure and is only making an assumption ("three week or so"). All sources that present information on this subject with confidence say that Erathia is six-to-eight weeks of sea travel to the southeast of Enroth.

It seems that Endless Ocean is general name for all seas and oceans on the planets (something like the term "world ocean" here on Earth), hence the name.
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 19 Jun 2011, 18:34

XEL II wrote:Person telling that Erathia is 3 weeks away is unsure and is only making an assumption ("three week or so"). All sources that present information on this subject with confidence say that Erathia is six-to-eight weeks of sea travel to the southeast of Enroth.
Too bad, we have no clue about travel speed, so we can't make assumptions about real distances.
Moreover, it is Sailor and Cartographer who tell us about three days. Perhaps, they both have reason? :)
And it is Master of Water who tells about 6 weeks. Does he mean Walking on Water? :D

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 19 Jun 2011, 19:37

When someone talks about how long the travel takes he must take the average speed into account, so it's accurate.

And NPCs that tell about three weeks say that they weren't to Erathia themselves.
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 19 Jun 2011, 19:52

hatsforclowns wrote:
UndeadHalfOrc wrote:Has anybody ever made a Heroes 3 map of Jadame / MM8?
I think there is a Jadame map somewhere, I've seen the screenshot...but I can't remember where.

EDIT: Here it is!

http://www.maps4heroes.com/heroes3/maps ... ty=&sort=2
Thanks! That map is brilliant, and very faithful to the game (unlike the MM7 map, For Blood And Honor, which instead tries to stick with the actual Heroes 3 storyline)

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 19 Jun 2011, 20:17

Well, it is also said that Regnan Pirates are selfish pricks and call themselves the Empire of the Endless Ocean just because they are selfish like that. Could be that they just picked the name because it sounded cool.

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 20 Jun 2011, 14:42

Endless Ocean actually is the name of the ocean. Of course, just like on Earth, there are smaller oceans and seas.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 21 Jun 2011, 07:12

tolich wrote:Too bad, we have no clue about travel speed, so we can't make assumptions about real distances.
Moreover, it is Sailor and Cartographer who tell us about three days. Perhaps, they both have reason? :)
And it is Master of Water who tells about 6 weeks. Does he mean Walking on Water? :D
It's three weeks not days. And we know about travel speed, just no one was willing to search these data. We have ship models in game and I am sure they are based on real life ships, so all what we need is find original ship and it' travel speed.

BTW - you should read old topics sometimes. ;P

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 21 Jun 2011, 08:54

Oops, my fail: weeks, not days. Though we must not only take boat speed into account, but also density of islands on the way, possible encounters, etc. One doesn't simply walk into Erathia.

Return to “Might and Magic”