MM VIII Installing problem

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
lubo1svk
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

MM VIII Installing problem

Unread postby lubo1svk » 14 Jun 2011, 13:40

Hello everyone,

I try to install Might and Magic VIII on my XP, but I am having serious troubles and I spent already about 5 hours searching and googling internet for a solution. But no luck.

The problem si, that whenever I try to start installation process from install CD, a progress window popps up showing a progress - it goes up to 99%, then it crashes, showing a strange error window with no text.

And that's it. Something is wrong, the game installs fine on another computers.

I might even make a video for you to see clearly what I mean.

Any help very welcomed and appreciated.

BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BMJedi » 14 Jun 2011, 14:42

I remember having this same problem about five computers ago, when Homm3 first came out, and I couldn't install it until I got a new computer.

In that case, it was because the old computer did not have enough memory, and I think the program didn't like that I was trying to play on a Windows 95 operating system, when it was written for Windows 98, or maybe it was Windows 2000.

It should install just fine on an XP computer, though. Have you tried running the install program in compatibility mode for Windows 95 or Windows 98?

You will need the Grayface patch installed before the program will work on XP, but you have to get the program itself to install before you can install the patch.

I'm sorry I can't be more help. Maybe somebody with more expertise than mine will come along shortly.

BTW - If you're willing to spend $5.99, you can go to GoG.com and buy the game as a download that already has all these tech issues solved for you. I think it's a fantastic deal.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke, "Clarke's Third Law".

lubo1svk
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby lubo1svk » 15 Jun 2011, 12:28

Thanks, good idea with those $6. But I would really like to know what's the problem, since I've just installed Might and Magic Vii and it run perfectly. The problem is just Might and Magic VIII.

This is how the error window looks like.

I too did try to install in safe mode, but no luck.

Rune_Caster
Demon
Demon

Try turning off the Acceleration options for

Unread postby Rune_Caster » 15 Jun 2011, 21:48

Try turning off the Acceleration options by running Dxdiag.exe and try to see if it will install then... also what OS are you using and what edition? (32 Bit/64 Bit?)

Also try running the install program for Windows 95/98.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 17 Jun 2011, 10:12

Are you sure it crashes? The setup is no longer running in the background?

But it seems to me that it's either a scratched CD or a problem with InstallShield.

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 18 Jun 2011, 10:11

Yeah. The problem seems to be the Installer CD, not the program.

Return to “Might and Magic”