Oblivion or Dark Messiah?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

Which game are you going to play?

Dark Messiah
29%
Oblivion
20%
Both
38%
Nah, I'll pass
6%
Nah, I'll pass
6%

Total votes: 65

ryanmax51
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ryanmax51 » 30 Jun 2006, 03:12

k cool ive got an account with steam anyways i play cs source and shit through them

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 24 Jul 2006, 07:35

I got Oblivion on my 360 and I must say. Its not bad at all, the autoscalin is a great idea, maybe not to well implemented for some people. I find it difficult (slider in the middle) to fight monsters, I met these crazy zombies, punched the guts out of me. Hadnt a chance, even as a crazy barbarian with a decent shield and longsword those things are darn hard to beat (dread zombies anyone?). Tried fire against them as said would harm them more even than silver, but nah got 2 or 3 of those things after me enflamed, and dont forget about their regen capabilities....

Well technically Oblivion looks great, and plays out nicely, have tried Oblivion on my pals PC, but the controls was just frustrating, its better on 360, belive it or not but the conversion from PC to 360 is smoothly done. The gameplay is out of 10, 8.5 or 9 for me. I had many funny and creepy experiences exploring "abondoned" caves and forts, the traps can be used to many things, thanks to the grab object feature :devious:
About that feature, the only drawback is that its more frustrating to place out things you have collected in you house than in morrowind. If youre not careful, books, gems and cups fly everywhere and I have even encountered things than when I sit down after a long day by a taverns table with alot of people, my armor makes the plates and food placed on them flying in every direction, does not happen often but hilarious nontheless :-D
The NPC'es hmm Im abit disapoinnted there, from what I saw earlier in the alpha and beta versions the daily lives of the AI where much more interesting and complicated (ever watched the video with the old lady and her dog?). Now the NPC is a shade of their former self, I guess its was alll about balancing (they had problems with minotaurs guarding a unicorn thanks to the advanced AI) or short of time. Now the NPC remind me of Fables NPC which gives away repetive sentences all the time, which gets booooring after a while. But one really nice thing is that encounters between different types of creatures and folks alike are often hostile, theres no longer a situation when you get followed and irritated by any kind of creature that would normally attack each other, but prefers you instead. I even saw a minotaur in a duel against a well armored bandit, the bandit got killed of course with a mighty blow from the mino hehe :devious:

The music is very good, emotionally and atmospheric. But sadly too few of the melodies. Oh well can always turn on my own music on the 360, without lagging at all, which are a problem for even the newest computers :devious: Hard rock in heated up battles, music like secret garden or nightwish when exploring the great woods and so on.

I could say alot more about Oblivion, but enough as It is..

atma6
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby atma6 » 25 Jul 2006, 18:59

Oblivion is incredible the first time you play it, but the more you play it the worse it becomes. All dungeons are the same, the guilds are extremely short, and there are few quests for them, and to do the best without OOO you have to pick specialties that you won't use much so you can control your leveling.

Really although they tried I find that the game is less finished then Heroes V especially on the Xbox.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 26 Jul 2006, 04:59

i voted DM .... not a huge elder scrolls fan

Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Ryder » 26 Jul 2006, 10:05

Rapier wrote:You should compare this to MM7, where you can go fight a dragon at level 1 and get your ass handed too you, or you can go at the end of the game when the dragons are just as tough but when you are significantly more powerful in relation to the game world.
You can beat the Dragon on Emerald Island at level 1 easy enough. It takes some time but it is pretty easy.

I got Morrowind free with my video card and even then I feel I paid too much for it. Very very ordinary, I preferred Arena and Daggerfall. So I will definetly not be buying Oblivion and if my new video card has it in it then I'll just have to return it.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 27 Jul 2006, 01:29

:D - see if you can get a discount!!

metalic
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby metalic » 05 Aug 2006, 15:49

Will dark messiah have a story mode? Like the past MM series, or it will just be multiplayer, where people connect together and engage combat?
I'm a wild man.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 05 Aug 2006, 17:06

There will be a single-player campaign, with a plot.

slakinator
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby slakinator » 10 Aug 2006, 19:16

IMO, i really dont see how DM can be compared to Oblivion. Oblivion is an open world with a free roaming, non linear environment, while DM is a closed level, with a linear environment comparable to an FPS. although DM's lineality may be considered old and out of fashion, IMO its quite the opposite. whereas you have a multitude of options with the developement of your character and your modus operandi :D additionally with oblivion the environments and monsters are leveled and leave no opportunity for epic raids into a cave with bandits 20 levels higher than you. DM allows for you to develope your char. in your own fashion without annoying level penalties. this is all just my opinion though and im quite possibly out of my mind. :-D I voted for DM

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 11 Aug 2006, 06:25

And in DM you can interact with everything.Setting a barel on fire,then throwing it at your enemy is sooo cool!

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 11 Aug 2006, 11:02

Yeah, also try to put that goblin into a barell, then telekines it out on a ledge and drop it in the water. Poor little goblin :devious:

starlady11
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby starlady11 » 02 Sep 2006, 08:03

Lord13 wrote:I vote DM. I was never be a big fun of Elder Scroll series. I start Morowind 3 times and after 8-10 hours I was realy boring...
starlady11 here, i;m running into the same thing and the book is terrible,when will they learn to write towns and areas , its harder than the game lol but i think the lack of colors[bright] and only 1 chacter bogs it dn you can't even get npc's patty also i miss wizards eye. patty

Return to “Might and Magic”