Oblivion or Dark Messiah?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

Which game are you going to play?

Dark Messiah
29%
Oblivion
20%
Both
38%
Nah, I'll pass
6%
Nah, I'll pass
6%

Total votes: 65

Rapier
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Rapier » 08 May 2006, 05:39

You know, Hipshot I agree, if Ubisoft makes a decent MM10, which remains true to the origional game (getting 4 or so heroes, not being just hack and slash..) they could very easily make a far better RPG than Elder Scrolls.

So for that reason I suggest that anyone who does like the gameplay OR the gameworld of Dark Messiah (even if you don't particularly care for both) should buy it and show Ubisoft that the MM world has sales potential on many genres :)

Don't however, buy it expecting a sequel to MM... 7 (the last great title in the series imo), because it won't live up to your requirements.
~ Rapier.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 08 May 2006, 06:26

Rapier wrote:So for that reason I suggest that anyone who does like the gameplay OR the gameworld of Dark Messiah (even if you don't particularly care for both) should buy it and show Ubisoft that the MM world has sales potential on many genres :)
Hoestly,Ill buy DMoMM rather than HV.Though there isnt sufficient information on DMoMM for me to decide quite yet.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 08 May 2006, 09:59

Didnt vote because my PC just cant handle those games. But they seems promising though and I hope they will make a breakthrough :-D

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 20 May 2006, 16:29

I bought a new, moderately-priced computer recently, mostly so I could run HoMM 5, when it was released. I borrowed Oblivion and got a blue screen when I was about to enter the game. So I guess I might try these games in about 5+ years' time, when I'll be investing into a new computer. :)
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Lord_Haart
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Lord_Haart » 20 May 2006, 17:46

Ok, here's some facts about Oblivion in reply to the near-flaming (negative comments based on heresay):

(1) Rund BEAUTIFULLY on my P4 2.4GHz, X800pro system. Looks like 1000* better than H5. EVERY LINE of speech is voice acted, with full lip-synching.

(2) AI is excellent, near human at times.

(3) Gameplay is incredible - the combat system isn't as deep as DMoMM (which makes sense since Oblivion is and RPG while DM is an FPS), but is still immensely satitsfying. After nearly 200 hours on the game, I'm still not bored of fireballing monsters and watching them get hurled through the air.

(4) DIFFICULTY IS SCALABLE - yes, enemies scale with you, but on both PC and Xbox there is also a difficulty slider you can change at any time. And instead of easy/normal/hard, it has a full range 1-100. So if you feel the game is too hard, turn it down a bit at a time. Too easy, turn it up. It's a really natureal way to do this.

(5) Morrowind was a great game (having played through it twice myself), and I encourage those with lesser PC's to try it out.

Look, I'm definitely going to get DMoMM, but I urge you to consider getting the Bethesda titles at some point - I picked up morrowind for $10Au (about %7 US), and spent as long on it as I spent on any heroes game. Of course, it depends if you are a fan of RPGs or not.

Finally, comparing the two games is silly since they are both different genres. One is more character-based, the other is (significantly) more combat-based. It's like comparing F.E.A.R to the Sims. I voted both because they both seem great.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 20 May 2006, 20:19

I said I would buy both games when the poll came out. I have OB and am not at all disappoiinted. I am in fact quite pleased with it. It is a great rpg game and there is already a lot of fan made content for it. I have played through as a mage and now am playing as a thief. If you are an rpg fan don't let this one pass you by unless you tried Morrowwind and were totally turned off by it.

As for being able to finish the game as level 1, perhaps you can though you will have very few hit points and you will be kind of cheating since you will have to pump up your minor skills very high and never use your major skills or never sleep. That is using an exploit IMHO, not role playing.

As has been mentioned, the AI is really pretty good in combat.

Anyways, everybody has their own opinion and mine is just that.

I am looking forward to Dark Messisah too.

Of course I am looking forward to geting my hands on HOMM5 when I can finally get it here in the US.

And Neverwinter Nights 2 is set for a September release. http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/vi ... 0&forum=95

This is turning out to be a really good year for games for me.

GOW

JustTimmY
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby JustTimmY » 25 May 2006, 07:42

I voted for Dark Messiah..
Oblivion it's a good game but I didn't finish it..it's kinda boring at one moment..

I hope Dark Messiah will be a very good game..till then I'm playing M&M VII one more time :D

Rapier
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Rapier » 26 May 2006, 06:25

Lord_Haart wrote:Ok, here's some facts about Oblivion in reply to the near-flaming (negative comments based on heresay):

(1) Rund BEAUTIFULLY on my P4 2.4GHz, X800pro system. Looks like 1000* better than H5. EVERY LINE of speech is voice acted, with full lip-synching.

(2) AI is excellent, near human at times.

(3) Gameplay is incredible - the combat system isn't as deep as DMoMM (which makes sense since Oblivion is and RPG while DM is an FPS), but is still immensely satitsfying. After nearly 200 hours on the game, I'm still not bored of fireballing monsters and watching them get hurled through the air.

(4) DIFFICULTY IS SCALABLE - yes, enemies scale with you, but on both PC and Xbox there is also a difficulty slider you can change at any time. And instead of easy/normal/hard, it has a full range 1-100. So if you feel the game is too hard, turn it down a bit at a time. Too easy, turn it up. It's a really natureal way to do this.
I can't help feeling this is directed towards me :p On point 1, yes Oblivion looks better than Heroes, the voice acting is greatly superior (although I kind of like Agreal I don't care for most of the other voice actors). The only flaw in the voice sand story in Oblivion is that they didn't hire enough actors for all the parts (after some time you recognise the arch mage actor for instance, playing guards, necromancers ect). It's still excellent though. I put the similar sounding characters down to race and accent it doesn’t effect immersion too much and is understandable from a real world perspective.

2, The ai out of the box was great for simulating people shopping and the like, but the combat is much improved by some of the mods (like the Oblivion Overhaul mod) while still not perfect this does make some of the ranged monsters like Necromancers much more difficult (since they now run from you and then when you stop to fight there summoned mobs they turn around and start spellslinging again). The game has the potential for even better ai than is presented in Oblivion, (by which I mean, the code is present in the game but isn't used, some mods and hopefully the expansion will make more use of the potential).

3, The game is Good. Better than morrowind, the story is engaging, the side quests are amusing, the game is well constructed. (although short compared to Morrowind). How good you find it will depend on if you like open ended rpgs (I prefer Baldur's gate style myself but that's just a personal preference).

4, Have you tried the difficulty slider at max? It's a joke, you'll get an entire level up off swinging your sword against a single wolf almost... you won't have enough magic regen to be able to take the magic route, and will need invisibility to take the stealth route. It doesn't make the enemy play better or have more spells and options, it just increases hit points which totally wrecks there combat system.

In any case it still doesn't solve the problem I was referring to when saying enemies were autoleveled, what I mean is.. a level 1 wolf has set stats which are in relation to yours. When you level up in Oblivion all wolves in the game level up too, all the wolves become "level 2 wolf" never again will a level 1 wolf spawn. The loot is similarly levelled, if you get a sword to drop at level 1 it will be the "level 1 sword of magic" if you get it to drop at level 3 you get the "level 3 sword of magic". It means you can finish the whole game without ever levelling up once which has been done or at an absurdly low level (say level 4... which I've seen done).

You should compare this to MM7, where you can go fight a dragon at level 1 and get your ass handed too you, or you can go at the end of the game when the dragons are just as tough but when you are significantly more powerful in relation to the game world. In oblivion if you went to fight a dragon at level 1 it would instead of a dragon, spawn in something like, "an ailing sick dragon with a slight cold and an oncoming heart attack," but you would never find something you couldn't beat.
~ Rapier.

DemonHunter
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby DemonHunter » 28 May 2006, 14:41

I voted both
I have oblivion
-great graphics (even at the lowest resolution i have to use :p )
-mm6-7 were more addicting :)
-AI is exellent, but because of that, i get iritated by all the (very) small mistakes in it (like guards just looking down on someone murdered instead of doing something.)
-short but good story, wich is the most important to me in rpg's
-a MASS of sidequests
-just make sure you have at least 1G of ram because you easily reach that after a while
-horseriding :)
-no multiplayer, so gets boring fast once you did the mainstory

and I'm looking forward to Dark Messiah, mainly because of the combination multiplayer and their combatsystem

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 23 Jun 2006, 12:43

Hipshot wrote: I know this about OB, that is why I will never buy that game. But to add, anyone that excepcts a advanced RPG experience from DM, should think again. The biggest thing with this is, that I hope _alot_ of people support buys this game, maybe they don't like it that much, still, sales is what is gonna get us a really advanced MM10, and since Ubi is holding the threads, it won't have any low tech old engine if it's being made. And MM is a good RPG brand that could easily destroy The Elderscrolls, if wrapped corretly.
Not really. Ubisoft pays money to a programing team to make an M&M10.
Bethesda alone makes a game with money from MW and OB and without repeating the mistakes from MW and OB. Not to forget to mention that a team of such size (which buyed human add-ons and increased 15 years expirience) can make both great graphics and gameplay while Ubi will probably pay for only one of those two as he nees to spend money on other 50 games too.
M&M10 could defeat OB (or at least be on the same place) but will probably lose the fight with TES5.
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 23 Jun 2006, 14:23

Rapier wrote:[1, yes Oblivion looks better than Heroes, the voice acting is greatly superior (although I kind of like Agreal I don't care for most of the other voice actors). The only flaw in the voice sand story in Oblivion is that they didn't hire enough actors for all the parts (after some time you recognise the arch mage actor for instance, playing guards, necromancers ect). It's still excellent though.
I actually find it quite ridicolous, they have 3 people doing all the voices. You just hear them straining to sound different, it's unvoluntary comedy...

But even though I shelfed oblvivion due to the massive dumbing down and it's silly mechanics re leveling monsters and such, I haven't played dark messiah at all. Can't really vote on such a basis.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 23 Jun 2006, 14:30

Ethric wrote:I haven't played dark messiah at all.
And if you did, you would not be allowed to say it of course.

I can't wait to get home tonight to... wash the dishes.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 23 Jun 2006, 14:32

Right, right... I can't help but feel that you're hiding something ;)

Also, I can't help feeling that you might want to do a better job at hiding it :creative:
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Justice
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Justice » 24 Jun 2006, 01:10

Angelspit wrote:
Ethric wrote:I haven't played dark messiah at all.
And if you did, you would not be allowed to say it of course.

I can't wait to get home tonight to... wash the dishes.
:|

Me thinks you won't be washing dishes for long :devil:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 24 Jun 2006, 01:22

Ethric wrote:Also, I can't help feeling that you might want to do a better job at hiding it :creative:
Well tehnicaly he isn't saying anything.

Orc Librarian throwing Orcs down chasms. That's something to see...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Lord_Haart
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Lord_Haart » 24 Jun 2006, 09:09

It's amazing how a few extra full stops can imply so much...

I think it's ok for me to say i was in the Heroes 5 beta, but I didn't get into this one. Shame really, since I'm actually really looking forward to DMoMM.

Oblivion is great though - if you like RPG's that is. If you think it isn't deep enough, just download some mods - and before you say that using mods means the game isn't up to scratch, realise that Oblivion was specially designed to be mod friendly (there is an editor dedicated to mods, which was released <i>before</i> the game.

I got it the day it came out here, and I can say it's more than just visually rewarding. There are some very fun things in there, especially if you play as a mage (and ESPECIALLY if you download mods to add new types of spells...).

Back to DMoMM, the main concern I have is actually a lack of depth - sure, you can fight in a number of ways - as you can in many FPS's. What I want to know is, besides graphics and a fantasy setting, what does DMoMM add to the genre?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 24 Jun 2006, 09:14

Lord13 wrote:I vote DM. I was never be a big fun of Elder Scroll series. I start Morowind 3 times and after 8-10 hours I was realy boring...
The computer was bored by you still playing morrowind? :| :D

Oblivion was nothing special for me.Morrowind was much better.Although I like the short chuck noris in oblivion movie :devil:

Justice
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Justice » 24 Jun 2006, 11:16

I forgott to write what I would buy 8|

I bought Oblivion, my PC is able to run it with everything all the way up and my graphic card only is Geforce 6800 I think... But the game itself... It was funn for a week, after that it really was rather boring. I was beating everything easy peasy, to much the same over and over in the dungeons, I think I only had to load 3 times because I was killed.... And none of those were the end batles...
Heroes V was a huge disapointment for me. The story is horrible, the cutscences terrible, and the campaign maps are far to scripted for mine taste and I had no particular problem beating that gaem... or at least up till the dungeon campaign and I stopped there since it simply is to boring for me :disagree:

Dark messiah on the other hand, it seems like the story is really good and like the single player will be both challenging and funn, althoug it only is 12 hours, and the multiplayer also seems like it will be pretty good, so I am hoping that that one will live up to mine expectations... And I'm pretty sure it will, and can recommend anyone who doesn't despice FPS to buy this game, it might be the first FPS that I actually like :) and like a lot that is :hoo:

ryanmax51
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ryanmax51 » 27 Jun 2006, 22:36

i dont think much of games which have no muliplayer what so ever, when i get a game i jump right on the net and learn the hard way vs players who have experiance over me i dont c how someone can become good playing vs a stupid computer, dm i might consider playing single just to get the chance to chop up some comps but i would prefer to jump online and kill some people :P.

was wondering what type of multi player system are they running on dm is it gonna be like ut2k4 and other fps games where you can join via steam/cogs/gamespy/ and ingame.?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 28 Jun 2006, 05:14

ryanmax51 wrote: i dont c how someone can become good playing vs a stupid computer,
Some AIs were excelent,although those are rare in FPS.
ryanmax51 wrote: was wondering what type of multi player system are they running on dm is it gonna be like ut2k4 and other fps games where you can join via steam/cogs/gamespy/ and ingame.?
Seems like its steam all the way.At least youre required to have an account there for the beta.

Return to “Might and Magic”