Oblivion or Dark Messiah?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

Which game are you going to play?

Dark Messiah
29%
Oblivion
20%
Both
38%
Nah, I'll pass
6%
Nah, I'll pass
6%

Total votes: 65

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Oblivion or Dark Messiah?

Unread postby Angelspit » 24 Mar 2006, 15:05

Dark Messiah is starting to generate some very positive hype, while Oblivion has just been released with some great first impressions.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Suleman
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Suleman » 24 Mar 2006, 15:28

I voted for both. There's no way I'm passing two of the best 1p RPGs since M&M 7.
"Yes, but what about David Beckham and the magic mushroom?"

I'm baaaaaack!

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 24 Mar 2006, 15:44

vote Both
Once my PC becomes cool enough to play them. :beg:
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?
Sarge: Control Alt Bingo.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 24 Mar 2006, 15:51

It's going to be Dark Messiah only for me, for now. I just read a couple of first impressions and a guy had problems getting a good performance with a 3 Ghz computer. Perhaps I'll pick up a copy of Morrowind on the bargain bin someday.

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 24 Mar 2006, 16:02

Angelspit wrote:...problems getting a good performance with a 3 Ghz computer.
So much for my in-the-works PC being cool enough.Image
Simmons: I think you’re asking me if these computers store all the data on Red and Blue armies?

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 24 Mar 2006, 16:07

Here is the exact quote:
"PC users, beware - you need a monster to run this. On a respectable 3.0 Ghz machine with a gig of RAM and a GeForce 6800 GT, Oblivion had trouble hitting a decent frame rate at 1024x768 - at its own recommended settings. (If that tech talk means nothing to you, you probably shouldn't even try to run this game on PC.)"
Abd 1024x768 isn't a lot!

Vlad976

Unread postby Vlad976 » 24 Mar 2006, 16:17

If I tried playing, I'd probably have to look into turning every possible graphics option down/off. Kinda like what I do on my current PC with games that are 5 years old. I remember the days when getting a good frame rate at 640x480 was an accomplishment...
Hmm, I seem to be headed off-topic so... How 'bout that Dark Messiah?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 24 Mar 2006, 16:27

And right now i'm glad I never got into Morrowind. First person RPGs just aren't my thing.

I'll probably be trying DM though, but then again it's not really a RPG, more like a FPS with skills.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 24 Mar 2006, 17:45

Probably neither for me as I’m not much of an action game player. But I might check out DM if it turns out to be absolutely awesome, with a thrilling story and so on. Depends on how it looks when it comes out and if it’ll run on my comp.

Xenofex.XVII
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Xenofex.XVII » 24 Mar 2006, 18:15

Voted for Dark Messiah.
I was waiting for this game since i saw the first video about it. :proud: :D
It is time to stop believing and start understanding. - Rael

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 25 Mar 2006, 00:40

Angelspit wrote:Here is the exact quote:
"PC users, beware - you need a monster to run this. On a respectable 3.0 Ghz machine with a gig of RAM and a GeForce 6800 GT, Oblivion had trouble hitting a decent frame rate at 1024x768 - at its own recommended settings. (If that tech talk means nothing to you, you probably shouldn't even try to run this game on PC.)"
Abd 1024x768 isn't a lot!
I have a 3 GHz dual core pentium machine with a gig of RAM and a Radeon X800. I run my display at 1024 x 768 and have no frame rate trouble. The graphics are flowing very smoothly. If he had trouble with framerates maybe he had a lot of programs running in the background eating up his memory. I have left Norton and all my other programs that are normally running up and it still has not affected game play for me.

I will probably also get Dark Messiah when it comes out.

GOW

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 25 Mar 2006, 13:29

Thanks for the clarification. These specs are after all the game's recommended settings.

Sir William S Titan
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Sir William S Titan » 27 Mar 2006, 15:06

I didn't vote because - I'm not really sure.
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 500 character limit

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 27 Mar 2006, 16:00

I'd love to try one, or both, but sadly my current computer would probably explode if I tried to load them. It's probably for the better: those things are time warps.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 30 Mar 2006, 01:20

I vote DM. I was never be a big fun of Elder Scroll series. I start Morowind 3 times and after 8-10 hours I was realy boring...
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 07 Apr 2006, 07:44

Voted both.As soon as Im able to run them.

Hipshot
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Hipshot » 15 Apr 2006, 20:35

DM is much more actionbased than Oblivion will ever be. It's not the MM that I wanted, but I'd hafto do until I get a real Elder Scrolls killer, MM:X. There's nothing saying that you can't make a _really_ good advanced MM RPG, just hit the graphics and you have a cuple 100k people buying the game already. The reason why Homm5 is getting alot more attention than it would have, is because of the graphics, belive me, people can't say, o another one of those Homm-games, with sucky graphics, they say instead "oh, that looks kinda sweet, I'm must see if I can find a gameplay movie of this".

Sorry, but it's the truth, the fact is, that everyone buying Oblivion, doesn't do that because they want a really good RPG, they are getting it because of the major graphical hype that has been around that game, much more than any real gameplay hype. Then ofc, there's those that loves the gameplay and are getting the game because of that.

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 02 May 2006, 11:58

I'll play both as soon as I've upgraded my computer. I think I'll upgrade to a Intel Conroe at summer.
I only play games at the highest settings since that how they were supposed to be played so therefore Oblivion IV isn't an option for me now.

Rapier
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Rapier » 06 May 2006, 22:52

Hipshot wrote:Then ofc, there's those that loves the gameplay and are getting the game because of that.
People that loved the gameplay on Morrowind will be disappointed by the simplification of the game system in Oblivion, it has some good changes, but it has a plethora of bad ones as well.

For instance, the game out the box, autoscales, all monsters, npcs, loot to your level > This means that there are no really difficult battles, no way to take the hard option for better loot. No matter what you do, you'll never get better in the eyes of those npc guards who will ALWAYS, be ten levels higher than you.

You can therefore play through the entire game without ever bothering to level up, and finish the game on level... 1. (Fighting for the most part, rats and mudcrabs throughout).

This means the unmodifiable Xbox version = a waste of your money. (Sorry, you can 'buy' official mods, but you can't get any for free). Additionally, Bethsada's customer support is going down because they have to make a stand against moders who choose to mod things that they try to sell as official mods. (Such as horse armour, the fan made one being better than theirs).

I'm not bitter against them B-) I recommend you wait for decent mods on Oblivion and see how Dark Messiah shapes up though.. (Since it doesn't claim to follow on from a previous game, it won't be able to break it :P)

My GF (who is prepaired to try unstable mods for a fix :P) runs the game with everything but anti-alaising on with a 2.41 GH AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 2 GB of Ram, but I do have two Geforce 7800's :P
~ Rapier.

Hipshot
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Hipshot » 07 May 2006, 03:03

Rapier wrote:
Hipshot wrote:Then ofc, there's those that loves the gameplay and are getting the game because of that.
People that loved the gameplay on Morrowind will be disappointed by the simplification of the game system in Oblivion, it has some good changes, but it has a plethora of bad ones as well.

For instance, the game out the box, autoscales, all monsters, npcs, loot to your level > This means that there are no really difficult battles, no way to take the hard option for better loot. No matter what you do, you'll never get better in the eyes of those npc guards who will ALWAYS, be ten levels higher than you.

You can therefore play through the entire game without ever bothering to level up, and finish the game on level... 1. (Fighting for the most part, rats and mudcrabs throughout).

This means the unmodifiable Xbox version = a waste of your money. (Sorry, you can 'buy' official mods, but you can't get any for free). Additionally, Bethsada's customer support is going down because they have to make a stand against moders who choose to mod things that they try to sell as official mods. (Such as horse armour, the fan made one being better than theirs).

I'm not bitter against them B-) I recommend you wait for decent mods on Oblivion and see how Dark Messiah shapes up though.. (Since it doesn't claim to follow on from a previous game, it won't be able to break it :P)

My GF (who is prepaired to try unstable mods for a fix :P) runs the game with everything but anti-alaising on with a 2.41 GH AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 2 GB of Ram, but I do have two Geforce 7800's :P
I know this about OB, that is why I will never buy that game. But to add, anyone that excepcts a advanced RPG experience from DM, should think again. The biggest thing with this is, that I hope _alot_ of people support buys this game, maybe they don't like it that much, still, sales is what is gonna get us a really advanced MM10, and since Ubi is holding the threads, it won't have any low tech old engine if it's being made. And MM is a good RPG brand that could easily destroy The Elderscrolls, if wrapped corretly.

Return to “Might and Magic”