Important Poll: Demo vs Complete Game

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

Do you want a demo that only shows some of the features, story, and areas, or do you want to experience the whole game when it is complete?

I want a demo already!
29%
I prefer to wait and play LOE without limitations!
71%

Total votes: 14

legendoferthia
Marksman
Marksman

Important Poll: Demo vs Complete Game

Unread postby legendoferthia » 25 May 2011, 08:50

I have a very important question to ask. LOE progress is rapidly increasing these last few months and continuing on that path. However the question is: Do you want a demo of LOE that shows only some of the game and features (basically the first area of the game), or would you like to wait until the game is finished so you can experience everything?
MIGHT AND MAGIC INSPIRED GAME: Legend of Erthia - Armageddon!
https://www.facebook.com/thelegendoferthia

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 25 May 2011, 08:56

Full game. After seeing (and playing) all these MMT, WoX2, MM Remake demo and none full version, it is better for me wait for release then end with demo only.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 25 May 2011, 09:09

Imo demo, but it should be true demo not technical demonstration. That is it should be pretty much with same options as full game but just smaller in scale.
Other mm projects like mmt never released actual demo. It so far is only engine demonstration. In some cases even not - I don't really see engine possibilities.

legendoferthia
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby legendoferthia » 25 May 2011, 09:16

I would also like to add, the core engine and everything is practically completed. I am just finishing up with MM7-like skill restrictions per class and a the dungeons. Then its pretty much just the story left because all of the outdoor maps are completed and populated with creatures, special locations, etc. In addition, all of the towns are completed. I have about 15 pages (in small print) written for the quests and story.

EDIT:
@tress
The technical part is over. The engine is practically complete. Level design and story is all that is left.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 25 May 2011, 09:35

Avonu wrote:After seeing (and playing) all these MMT, WoX2, MM Remake demo and none full version.
At least we have demo versions of thes projects.
tress wrote:Imo demo, but it should be true demo not technical demonstration. That is it should be pretty much with same options as full game but just smaller in scale.
Like MM VII demo, you mean?
tress wrote:Other mm projects like mmt never released actual demo.
WOX2: playable demo, where you can buy items, shoot arrows to dragonflies, drink potions and even win or lose.
MMT: playable demo where you can probably complete some quests (I'm not sure though).
MMTNO: playable demo, where you must bring an item into a certain location to complete the demo.
So they're not only engine demonstrations, but complete, though small, games.
savetara wrote:The technical part is over. The engine is practically complete. Level design and story is all that is left.
It's what I meant about MMVII.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 25 May 2011, 09:56

Like MM VII demo, you mean?
It actually had one. Never noticed that nwc would release demo versions at all except for hero chronicles.
MMT: playable demo where you can probably complete some quests (I'm not sure though).
There is 2 demo. 1 is hardly even game. You cant even walk around just interactive map. Other is tech demo showing lightning possibilities, effects etc, with possibility to walk around. THere is no actual mechanics.(wont comment much on Felgars demo since its discontinued, although it was really polished for demo it lacked combat mechanic and character development to be true demo)
WOX2: playable demo, where you can buy items, shoot arrows to dragonflies, drink potions and even win or lose.
One publicly available was only engine demo. You could shoot etc, but it is far from anything playable. Probably there is new one around but I haven't had possibility to try it yet.
MMTNO: playable demo, where you must bring an item into a certain location to complete the demo.
Again it demonstrates engine, walking, inventory etc but no actual game play.
For thing to be called actual demo it should have combat mechanics, ability to quest, maybe level up. That is all core mechanics must be present. No one is asking all items or all skills but core mechanics, like fighting, character interaction, must be present. Full game should just differ quantitatively, more skills ,mobs monsters etc.

hatsforclowns
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby hatsforclowns » 25 May 2011, 14:23

A proper demo, yes. That's how I first got started with Deus Ex...and I don't need to tell you how that worked out ;)
Last edited by hatsforclowns on 25 May 2011, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.

Coldy
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Coldy » 25 May 2011, 22:02

I can wait for the full game :)

Spin
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Spin » 26 May 2011, 08:10

If the game's free, there's no real need for a demo before the full release. It's more or less wasted time to bring out a demo, i'd love to just start and play the full game. Playing the Dragon Age II demo, then the full game made the start extremely boring since it was all overlap.

Quick question, is there an opening dungeon/area for the game like in MM7/8 or will it be more like being thrown into a world like in MM6?

legendoferthia
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby legendoferthia » 26 May 2011, 08:29

The game will start in the city of Felicia. The captain of the guards, Frederick, has been captured by the goblins in their last attack on the city. The heroes will be asked to rescue the captain. However, little does anyone know what secrets the goblins already know about a power that can literally change the face of the world. There is a legend to Erthia that has been long forgotten and sealed away... Only the gods and angels know the full and complete truth about this legend.

Spin
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Spin » 26 May 2011, 10:59

cool sounds like a good opening quest to start out the Main Storyline.

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 26 May 2011, 13:42

I voted for the full version and not demo first. I would like to
see the game finished and enjoy it as a whole and continius
gaming experience, but you can ask the help of community
ofc for some beta testings and feedback/opinions, I am sure
many ppl would like to help at this(including myself, after finishing
my arming duties at a couple of months ofc, i hate it....:-P)
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

legendoferthia
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby legendoferthia » 26 May 2011, 17:28

@spin
Sorry, I forgot to answer one of you questions. LOE is free, it is a non prophet game made for those who seek the original MM series.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 27 May 2011, 09:11

I voted for demo. Since almost everything is ready for it, I don't think you should hold it back. However, I have enough games I haven't played yet, so you can ignore my vote, now I think I would also prefer to wait for the full game (which I can do in any of two cases). The reason I like the idea of demo is that it would provide additional play-testing.
As I understand, it would be much bigger than the demo of MM7 and other such demos. I remember you wrote the number of hours it would take to finish and it was somewhere around what Torchlight takes.
On a side note the best demo I've played was of KB:Princess, where you could quickly explore all skills and some nice creatures too before starting the main game. Thus, it served as a tutorial too. I played it before KB:Legend :D
tress wrote:
Again it demonstrates engine, walking, inventory etc but no actual game play.
For thing to be called actual demo it should have combat mechanics, ability to quest, maybe level up. That is all core mechanics must be present.
All of that was present. MMTNO's was the first actually playable demo of an MM fan game.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 27 May 2011, 09:26

No classes, no skills, etc. So it was playable demo, but not complete one.

And only my patch makes it possible to level up and to complete some quests. :)

legendoferthia
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby legendoferthia » 28 May 2011, 02:56

@grayface:
Indeed, I have a lot done already and the story is coming along as well. I have spent around 20 hours playing through some of the game. I have only covered about 25-30% of the outdoor regions and very little dungeons. LOE will be a long game once it is completed especially since I made the skill system exactly like MM7. I have already created about 25 quests. However, there are many more quests to complete. The promotional quests alone will be 22 separate quests. My goal is to reach at least 100 quests in total.

Return to “Might and Magic”