Replaying Might and Magic VII (Finally Beat MM7)

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

Which Might and Magic game do you like better?

MM6
44%
MM7
56%

Total votes: 43

Rune_Caster
Demon
Demon

Might and Magic World of Xeen

Unread postby Rune_Caster » 14 May 2011, 10:52

Might and Magic World of Xeen is still my favoriote true turn based game as no other might and magic game I have seen has been true turn based but rather a combonation of the two which really takes the challange out of the game.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Re: Might and Magic World of Xeen

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 14 May 2011, 14:39

Rune_Caster wrote:Might and Magic World of Xeen is still my favoriote true turn based game as no other might and magic game I have seen has been true turn based but rather a combonation of the two which really takes the challange out of the game.
Because clearly MM3 is not turn-based. ;|

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 14 May 2011, 14:53

^ I hope you were sarcastic.
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 14 May 2011, 19:52

Because clearly I don't put ;| emoticons when I'm being sarcastic. ;|

legendoferthia
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby legendoferthia » 14 May 2011, 20:46

@GreatEmerald
LOL

That made me really laugh out loud.
MIGHT AND MAGIC INSPIRED GAME: Legend of Erthia - Armageddon!
https://www.facebook.com/thelegendoferthia

Kalle Klovn
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

best mm7 party

Unread postby Kalle Klovn » 07 Jun 2011, 19:58

savetara wrote:Well, the archer didn't do to well, so I decided to try the 4 knights and a cleric again. I seem to be doing much better now. I have the knights promoted to champions and the cleric to priest. All champions have master plate armor, master armsmaster, and master swords. I can kill groups of wyverns fast and easily.
Its a bit lengthy (I get detailed when I am excited about something), but the post viewtopic.php?t=11893&start=15 discuss the optimal MM7 teams from diffferent perspectives.

A quick party summary and rating 1-6 for start, mid-, end- and postgame:
The easiest and fastest way to complete the game, as in win and clear all sidequests, dungeons and maps: KKCS
Light: start (6), mid (5), end (6), post (4)
Dark: start (6), mid (5), end (4), post (4)

Awesome spellpower, but require skill and patience in the beginning, and using invisibility pretty much until S promo quests and dark quests are done: SSSC
Light: start (1), mid (3), end (2), post (2)
Dark: start (1), mid (4), end (5), post (5)

The most powerfull team possible after level 60, but require invisibilty and some skill mid game: AAAS
Light: start (4), mid (3), end (5), post (6!)
Dark: start (4), mid (3), end (3), post (3)

For a demonstration of why AAAS is unmatched post game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvVdd_wd698

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 18 Jun 2011, 10:30

I always though MM 6 is the more complicated one. ;|

SkeleTony
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby SkeleTony » 09 Jul 2011, 04:51

M&M 7 is FAR superior in my opinion. I did not find either 'story' to be compelling or any more compelling than the other(not that I care much about story in RPGs anyway). The main reasons being:

1) M&M 7 allowed for at least a few nonhuman races. Humans bore the **** out of me.

2) M&M 7 had better classes, skills and overall character development. The various skill level limits(i.e. expert, master, GM) for various classes made a lot of sense and provided for enticing decision making.

3) I found the dungeon/level design in 7 to be better than 6 myself.

4) Arcomage. 'Nuff said!

5) The quests, rewards and items in 7 were more interesting to me.

6) The 'Light/dark' dichotomy added a great deal of interest for me.

M&M 6 was certainly a good game. But it just didn't have any legs for me. I have replayed M&M 7 a half dozen times or more but I have to force myself to get 75% of the way through MM 6. It just bores me after a short while.

Konfuzius
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Konfuzius » 09 Jul 2011, 12:57

Difficult, difficult.
Both games have their pros and cons and most of them are already listed.

I think MM7 is slightly better because of the refined gameplay and the possibility to become a Lich :devil:.

But MM6 features a more realistic world with great dungeons, cool monsters and is more difficult and challenging to play (not to mention the optional bosses like Q or this special Minotaur).
Also I like that you don't have to choose between dark and light magic and many NPCs mention that it depends on your actions and not the magic you use.

Coldy
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Coldy » 10 Jul 2011, 18:15

Both are really good games. I've finished both but I've replayed MM7 3 times so yea for me MM7 has more replay value. :)

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 11 Jul 2011, 21:50

I've played MM7 quite a lot, while I've run through MM6 only once. My thoughts therefore, are:

- MM7 has a really compelling story. The twist with the Ancients etc was really awesome and all. I played this game after MM8, though, so the story didn't impact me so much.
- The gameplay in MM6 is lacking, but it's only technical issues. The story is even cooler than MM7.
- The world is much, much better in MM6. The dungeons are bigger, there are much more monsters, you finish teh game on like levels 100 for all of your party even without cleaning everything out (like Castle Darkmoor, which is simply put impossible). In MM7 you'll have level 65-75 in the endgame tops. MM6 wins this one easily.
- MM6 looks plain better even though it's older. I mean the world, not the portraits (those are best in MM8).

As said previously in this thread - had MM6 had the interface and technical solutions of MM7, it would have been the best game out of 6-8 by far.

NCR85
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby NCR85 » 07 Sep 2011, 10:39

I personally think the light/dark splitoff in MM7 was a design mistake. they should have put all their effort into making one big story line, not two half baked ones. think about it; the reason any single game in MM7 feels smaller and shorter is because MM7 is two games in one, and you're only playing half of the whole game at any time. and let's face it, good vs. evil is pretty much the most clichematic story splitoff you can come up with.

so yeah; MM6' length and size makes that one preferable to me. just my opinion though, don't roast me. :D

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 07 Sep 2011, 15:10

I've never understood this claim that MM6 had great dungeons. MM6 had dungeons that were entirely too long for too little reward. When you've established your ability to take out a room full of warlocks, taking out another 18 rooms full of warlocks loses its charm.

The story's also more broken up in MM6, though it's admittedly more epic in scale. You have to fight through a bunch of mages just to get Falagar to tell you you need to see the Oracle, and then the story essentially comes to a dead stop until you get all the council votes, which constitutes about three quarters of the game.

I have to disagree with the light/dark splitoff in MM7 was a design mistake; how are either of the storylines half-baked? I also can't figure out the "half of the whole game" comment, since you go through half the game before you choose anyway. You're actually experiencing roughly three-quarters of the game's content on a given playthrough. Good vs. Evil may be clichematic, but you also get the more interesting and debatable Erathia vs. Tularean Forest to choose from, which also offers a neutral option.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

NCR85
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby NCR85 » 07 Sep 2011, 23:40

well, let me rephrase. I just think it had a major downside in that any single game of MM7 "feels" shorter due to a third of all quests (let's not forget, all promotion quests not of your alignment and 4 main quests make up a huge chunk of the game) not being available to you in that game. And I'm not personally a fan of the choice for that reason. Maybe "design mistake" was a little too condemning.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 08 Sep 2011, 00:22

That makes sense.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Re: Replaying Might and Magic VII (Finally Beat MM7)

Unread postby Panda Tar » 08 Sep 2011, 01:25

savetara wrote:However, in MM7 the mix just didn't seem adequate. I tried with 3 knights and a cleric. I also tried with a knight, cleric, thief, and sorcerer. Still just didn't seem good. Finally, I decided to try with 3 archers and a cleric. It seems to be working fine for now, but I assume there will be problems... :).
Eh, that's hard to tell 'adequate' when it comes to choosing your party. An archer usually supplies my need to perception and fly spell casting. All other units are picked up regarding how difficult I want the game to be. :)

About the pool, cannot vote without playing MM6.

MM7 was the only MM I played, so I like it in spite of myself. :D
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 08 Sep 2011, 13:33

NCR85 wrote:well, let me rephrase. I just think it had a major downside in that any single game of MM7 "feels" shorter due to a third of all quests (let's not forget, all promotion quests not of your alignment and 4 main quests make up a huge chunk of the game) not being available to you in that game. And I'm not personally a fan of the choice for that reason. Maybe "design mistake" was a little too condemning.
Actually, you could still do the promotion quests for the other alignment. (I think there was one pair of mutually-exclusive ones, but I haven't played this in a long time.)
Matthew Charlap -353 HoMM map reviews and counting...

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 08 Sep 2011, 14:26

Really? I seem to recall that the teachers of the dark side would refuse to train you if you were light, and vice versa.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 08 Sep 2011, 14:44

They say that there's nothing they can do about it, or send you away, but you can still visit the dungeons related to them and everything else. I think you won't just get the experience from them.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Gallimar
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

MM6

Unread postby Gallimar » 17 May 2012, 16:32

Well from reading all these posts it seems like most ppl think that MM6 is more epic while MM7 has an imrpoved game engine (wich i agree aswell) with monsters fighting eachother depending on faction and improved skills tables (only some classes can achive E/M/GM)

But i cast my vote for MM6 simply cuz the game itself feels so much more epic then the other games. Ive played through MM6 like 20 times and MM7 like 15 times (since 1998 ofc... when mm6 came).

Been playing MM2 and 3 aswell quite alot, but i never made it past 1/3 of the game, but still they are all very good games.

If only MM6 would have the skill system that mm7 and 8 has... oh my god it would be the greatest game ever =(

btw whats your guys record beating mm6? im talking about doing ALL the small quests and visiting EVERYTHING in the game (not the shrines since u wanna beat the game fast)

Return to “Might and Magic”