Replaying Might and Magic VII (Finally Beat MM7)

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

Which Might and Magic game do you like better?

MM6
44%
MM7
56%

Total votes: 43

legendoferthia
Marksman
Marksman

Replaying Might and Magic VII (Finally Beat MM7)

Unread postby legendoferthia » 02 May 2011, 02:19

Well, I decided to play some Might and Magic VII again over the weekend to help refresh some ideas for LOE. I forgot how complicated MM7 was compared to MM6 in regards to skills and finding instructors. I restarted the game 4 times in the last 48 hours to try and figure out which classes worked best. Began with my favorite selection from MM6 (Paladin, Cleric, Sorcerer, and an Archer). However, in MM7 the mix just didn't seem adequate. I tried with 3 knights and a cleric. I also tried with a knight, cleric, thief, and sorcerer. Still just didn't seem good. Finally, I decided to try with 3 archers and a cleric. It seems to be working fine for now, but I assume there will be problems... :). I think the first time I played this game through I used just sorcerers.
Last edited by legendoferthia on 09 May 2011, 09:41, edited 1 time in total.
MIGHT AND MAGIC INSPIRED GAME: Legend of Erthia - Armageddon!
https://www.facebook.com/thelegendoferthia

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 02 May 2011, 02:39

Oh my God...You have just asked an impossible question!

Spin
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Spin » 02 May 2011, 02:50

to me MM6 blows MM7 out of the water. The level of exploration in MM6 is fantastic and it feels more like a world than MM7. I'll keep replaying 6, but i think for 7 once is enough to have a feel for the game, regardless of going light/dark path.

legendoferthia
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby legendoferthia » 02 May 2011, 02:58

I agree with you, Spin. Enroth definitely brings a more memorable world for me. Although, Erathia also has its charms as well. For instance, Emerald Isle and Erathia itself were charming cities. However, Castle Ironfist from MMVI was my most favorite place!

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 02 May 2011, 04:32

Both games are extremely good.

MM6 Pro's:
- Amazing world (and dungeon) design.
- Amazing atmosphere.
- Classic story.
- Best opening cinematic of any game, ever.
- Scarier monsters.
- Realistic portraits.

MM7 Pro's:
- Better game design.
- Better gameplay.
- Dynamic story (getting a castle, restoring said castle, choosing sides).
- Better class and skill design.
- Better looking UI and world.
- Dynamic events (zombie ambush, enemies fighting guards /each other).

I think in the end I have to go with MM6. If they had made MM6 with MM7's improvements it would have been the ultimate game imo.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

legendoferthia
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby legendoferthia » 02 May 2011, 05:23

MM7 did have some improvements in regards to engine design, but the story and world of MM6 really captures your imagination. The only other game I can compare to MM6 is Final Fantasy VI. Both are legendary games in my opinion.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 02 May 2011, 07:04

Macros the Black wrote:zombie ambush
there was four goblin ambushes in New Sorpigal of MM6:
1) on the bridge;
2) on the island (when you search a pot);
3) inside the Goblin Watch (when you press M on the code keyboard);
4) inside the Goblin Watch (when you open one of chests).

There are a lot of spawning events in the different locations. I just don't want to spoil them all. So ambushes are not the new property of the series (too be correct, ambushes were even in MM1). Monster fighting monsters, yes, featured first in MM7.

legendoferthia
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby legendoferthia » 03 May 2011, 03:25

Well, the archer didn't do to well, so I decided to try the 4 knights and a cleric again. I seem to be doing much better now. I have the knights promoted to champions and the cleric to priest. All champions have master plate armor, master armsmaster, and master swords. I can kill groups of wyverns fast and easily.

Mn
Scout
Scout

Re: Replaying Might and Magic VII

Unread postby Mn » 03 May 2011, 18:00

In MM6 You cac play with your lyked group = one cleric/paladinr and one of Mage/archer - its your own choice. Two others two's may be of any profession. {t's only your choice) The original MM6 is the simpliest than MM7, You can quickly win at 5 days with two sorrerers only. If You want MM6 as serios game - Your party is of serious difficulty. (four Druids. fours Knights ets.)
My best group (MM6-7) consists from = Thief/Cleric/Mage/Mage. This party is pretty better from any of Your's and have no problems in increasing. (IMHO)

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 05 May 2011, 11:41

savetara wrote:Well, the archer didn't do to well, so I decided to try the 4 knights and a cleric again. I seem to be doing much better now. I have the knights promoted to champions and the cleric to priest. All champions have master plate armor, master armsmaster, and master swords. I can kill groups of wyverns fast and easily.
Archers (and druids) are good if you are going to use lots of spells. Mastering elemental magic can easly help clearing areas (meteor showers from archer + druid + sorcerer is pure win). Begining with magic oriented party is not so easly but later they are superior to might oriented party.
The good thing for MM7 is balance - even Knight (high damage) + Paladin (10% for paralyze) + Thief (3x dagger damage) + Monk (high damage) party has not big problems with game (of course there are areas where might team has problems - titans and minotaur lords for example) but with high damage, you can kill enemies before they kill/eradicate you (and if Paladin paralyze someone...).

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 05 May 2011, 15:44

MnM 7 for me! It's a matter of personal taste ofc, I found
the gameplay smoother and better than 6, I dislike the
realistic portraits of MnM 6(felt like playing at a movie
of Monty Pythons, nice movies but not for a fantasy game!)
Mostly I agree with previous posters about the pro's of
each game, both great games but MnM 7 wins at details for me.
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

Echo_
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Echo_ » 06 May 2011, 00:08

MM6. The story is entirely better, and the map that came with the game was 100% cloth. I still have it framed above my computer.
Be Without Haste
Live the Moment

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 07 May 2011, 01:31

tolich wrote:
Macros the Black wrote:zombie ambush
there was four goblin ambushes in New Sorpigal of MM6:
1) on the bridge;
2) on the island (when you search a pot);
3) inside the Goblin Watch (when you press M on the code keyboard);
4) inside the Goblin Watch (when you open one of chests).

There are a lot of spawning events in the different locations. I just don't want to spoil them all. So ambushes are not the new property of the series (too be correct, ambushes were even in MM1). Monster fighting monsters, yes, featured first in MM7.
Actually I meant that in the zombie ambush you get spoken to by some dude and can pay gold to prevent getting ambushed... That wasn't at all clear from what I typed up though.. Sometimes my mind is racing and I can barely keep up typing what I'm thinking of, and then I end up not explaining it very well ;|
But yeah, MM6 has alot more ambushes than MM7. I'd say that's a plus in some places, but it does end up getting annoying - mostly due to the large number of enemies in MM6. I also think the traps were better designed, come to think of it. For instance, there's nothing like the Kriegspire well trap in MM7. Clicking on a well dumps you in the middle of a really high level dungeon? That's genius. In MM7 you can avoid everything with perception.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

legendoferthia
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby legendoferthia » 09 May 2011, 06:25

Finally beat MM7. My score was 5469. To come to think of it... MM7's main story is quite simple and brief. There wasn't much dialogue at all (excluding side quests).

koval321
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby koval321 » 12 May 2011, 06:25

I think both are good (and votes show that: 50% / 50%)

But best is World of Xeen, its earlier and look more primitive but in fact it is more advanced in mechanic, even in graphics its better because have very good designs. Also in size its better, it is longest M&M. Playing style is also better because more tactic is there. Am even like its old school style. M&M6-7 its totally different game, you will known that when finish both.

My favourite are World of Xeen because that should M&M look like IMO
and M&M8 from these modern 6-8 style as best atmospheric game world, it have some changes and maybe its something which shouldnt be put in group of 6-8 it is very different from previously parts

M&M9 was also totally different game, you can love it or hate

M&M6-7 are on the same level of adorment because in fact it is exactly the same game just with different maps and gfx.

So it is my current votes for MM games:
MM 4-5 = 90%
MM 6-7 = 70%
MM 8 =80%
MM 9 =60%

Well before it was different because i was amazed by everything new play, and now from distance of time i can tell these.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 12 May 2011, 11:16

koval321 wrote:But best is World of Xeen
For me MM3 beats WoX. Clouds of Xeen are so small and limited and only thanks to adding MM5, WoX is big enough. Otherwise it would be the same if no smaller then MM3.
After playing MM3, MM4 feels like playing MM8 after MM6 - too small, too easy and missing many things.

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 12 May 2011, 11:33

MM3 is classic and best in many ways. It also has the best plot in entire Might and Magic. Not to mention that this game revealed backstory about Ancients, Corak and Sheltem.
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

legendoferthia
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby legendoferthia » 12 May 2011, 15:58

My favorites are MM6 and MM3. I only played MM3 this year, and really enjoyed it.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 12 May 2011, 18:48

Indeed, my favourite from the classic ones is MM3 as well. An actual working hireling system, heck yeah!

koval321
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby koval321 » 14 May 2011, 05:58

Well i played 4 and 5 as one WoX game, so comparing 3 to 4 sound funny to me. Anyway interesting that these breaktrough games M&M3 and M&M6 probably get largest amount of votes. I think M&M9 could be also one from greatest, just if they step forvard in things like inventory, world size (ofcourse with freedom of travell) and maybe add new skills instead of redesign them, and in 3d movies (wtf is that introduce?!) Unless it was milestone backward there.

Return to “Might and Magic”