What option do you prefer for classes?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

What should I do with the character classes in LOE?

Keep the six classes with promotions
100%
Remove promotions and add more classes
No votes

Total votes: 16

legendoferthia
Marksman
Marksman

What option do you prefer for classes?

Unread postby legendoferthia » 22 Apr 2011, 11:43

As it currently stands, in LOE there are six different classes to choose from. Each class can be promoted twice (Paladin > Crusader > Hero). Now, I was thinking should I cancel the promotions and add many more classes to choose from, or should I keep it with just the six character classes with promotions?
MIGHT AND MAGIC INSPIRED GAME: Legend of Erthia - Armageddon!
https://www.facebook.com/thelegendoferthia

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 22 Apr 2011, 11:57

Promotions for me! Has more role playing feeling, and it is a
good basis for the creator to add interesting quests for each
class lore ;)
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

Rune_Caster
Demon
Demon

It really depends on if Promotions increase training costs..

Unread postby Rune_Caster » 22 Apr 2011, 18:53

It really depends on if Promotions increase training costs or not, Like in Might and Magic VI...

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 22 Apr 2011, 22:19

I think promotions definitely make the game much more fun, and give you some actual achievements to make. Promotions are one of the unique aspect of Might & Magic that I think make it a really cool game.

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 22 Apr 2011, 23:37

Definitely keep the promotions in it please.

Spin
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Spin » 22 Apr 2011, 23:41

Promotions are much better. Also 6 classes is the perfect amount, i'm not a person who really cares much about choices in RPGs, as long as the classes all have their specialties i'm happy.

vladimir-maestro
Genie
Genie

Unread postby vladimir-maestro » 23 Apr 2011, 06:10

you can add more classes if there are will be great difference between them!

if you will add 2 (1 = elemental master + swork expert; 2 = elemental expert + sword master) - you will lose cause changes are not critical.
You can contact me here:
maestro_mod@yahoo.com
vladud @ yandex.ru - preferred one
---
Site about MODs: http://www.mmgames.ru
---
if you wish to upload some materials for this site - let me know.

legendoferthia
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby legendoferthia » 23 Apr 2011, 09:07

Okay, no question about it. I am sticking with the promotions.
MIGHT AND MAGIC INSPIRED GAME: Legend of Erthia - Armageddon!
https://www.facebook.com/thelegendoferthia

koval321
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby koval321 » 14 May 2011, 06:28

True RPG is game of choices so there should be few path of what character may take, how am imagine that: (ok maybe not exactly the same names its example)

start: knight

path1a: royal guard
path1b: crusader
path1c: inquisitor
=bonus to armor, and protection skills or spells

path2a: assassin
path2b: black knight
path2c: death knight
=bonus to damage, and weapon skills

path3a: archer
path3b: marksman
path3c: battlemage
=bonus to range weapons, and ability to spells

And to me its good four class at start, obviously: Knight, Mage, Cleric, Thief. Each class can follow three path and in fact become hybrid that way.

=Knight=
knight-cleric (crusader) magic armor etc for better AC
knight-mage (dark knight) use magic weapons for better dmg
knight-archer (battlemage) range weapons and spells

It is probably more clear to player and give him time for decision during game. He can quick start with standard team and for each member chose progression during game.

Other things about good or evil path and characters developement.

Good or bad path is crazy because sorcier is evil from his nature, how he can become good mage?? This is absurd becuase good is only cleric. So i would completly remove good and dark path, and in team you could have master in dark magic AND master in good magic, also super uper villain (thief expert) and cop (inquisitor) because you HAVE such mix from begining its just higher level. I mean if thief can work with cleric so why cant villain with priest? its the same peoples just on higher level.

Anyway that is funny much deeper because no matter how good or bad you are, only one thing you do: kill thousand enemies. In fact Cleric shouldnt kill anybody, its no matter that he use mace hahahha! For many reasons i would remove that from game.

Rune_Caster
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Rune_Caster » 14 May 2011, 10:48

koval321 wrote:And to me its good four class at start, obviously: Knight, Mage, Cleric, Thief. Each class can follow three path and in fact become hybrid that way.

=Knight=
knight-cleric (crusader) magic armor etc for better AC
knight-mage (dark knight) use magic weapons for better dmg
knight-archer (battlemage) range weapons and spells
Um is that sort of how older D&D classes were for Demi-humans who could play as more then one class type at a time? I know might and magic was based on D&D but sheesh... lol

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 15 May 2011, 04:52

koval321 wrote:Good or bad path is crazy because sorcier is evil from his nature, how he can become good mage??
Why is he evil??
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 15 May 2011, 09:56

GrayFace wrote:
koval321 wrote:Good or bad path is crazy because sorcier is evil from his nature, how he can become good mage??
Why is he evil??
Because he is an evil pagan, who worships the Devil, and licks goat's arse, lol.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 15 May 2011, 10:17

Indeed they are not evil, strictly speaking:

Code: Select all

#define Sorcerer Wizard
#define Wizard Mage
#define Mage Enchanter
#define Enchanter Magician
#define Magician Conjurer
#define Conjurer Warlock
#define Warlock Witch
For those who don't know C, it means that they're all the same :D They all mean "magic user". It's up to each game to define which of those are evil and which are good.

hatsforclowns
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby hatsforclowns » 15 May 2011, 13:13

MM always had a good balance of classes so it wasn't such a big deal, and I liked the promotion quests - even wish they were longer and actually provided side-stories, not just a quick quest to get the skills you want.

Personally I've always favoured classless systems - or at least somewhat classless - e.g. make the skills you can learn and your proficiencies depend on your attributes instead, or something similar.

Predefined classes is good for leveled characters (i.e. they've been trained in their class of choice, and worked and honed their skills for years), but for level 1 characters is always a little sad to have to set your character in stone before you've even started the game.

Also, skills. Skills! I cannot tell you how many millions of times I've looked at the skills tables in the manual to see which skills goes where and how high. The ability to right click a characters skill and see how high you can go is superb! But you can't see that in shops, i.e. you have to "buy" the skill before you can see the info...a little annoying.

Return to “Might and Magic”