What spells do you use in Might and Magic?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 13 Apr 2006, 10:10

arturchix wrote: 7) Protection from Magic
Prot from Magic is not that great in MM8- I don't think there are any units with insta-kill attacks, with the posible exception of Gorgons- but those only appear outdoors, and are thus easy prey for Fly. I'd put Soulddrinker on the list instead for MM8- very handy if you need a secondary healer in end-game, but doesn't want a second cleric.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 13 Apr 2006, 13:22

Gaidal Cain wrote:
arturchix wrote: 7) Protection from Magic
Prot from Magic is not that great in MM8- I don't think there are any units with insta-kill attacks, with the posible exception of Gorgons- but those only appear outdoors, and are thus easy prey for Fly. I'd put Soulddrinker on the list instead for MM8- very handy if you need a secondary healer in end-game, but doesn't want a second cleric.
Actually, there are a couple of indoor areas where enemies have lots of paralyze and/or stone attacks -- the Cyclops Larder and the Crystal Tower come to mind. Without the immunity that Protection from Magic provides, you can get into serious trouble.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 13 Apr 2006, 13:31

Naah- paralyze can be cured by potions. And it's not really a big deal- once you're cured, you're as good as you were before. Fixing death is more of a hassle...
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 19 Apr 2006, 09:20

I play more often for dark side (MM7), so I use:
shrapmetal (great against behemoths and minotaurs)
starburst/meteor shower (bombardment)
implosion (good damage)
"cure something" spells
"must have spells": wizard eye, torch light, regeneration, fly, invisibility, etc.

Grandizer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Grandizer » 19 Apr 2006, 22:30

It's been too long since I played MM3 and World, but I am playing 6 now and own the rest as well...

I must say that I miss the actual typing on the map feature. I can't understand why this is not an ALWAYS available option on all games... If I was traveling somewhere, had a map that I filled in as I went along, wht can I NOT make marks to remind me of locations???

6 takes 3 times as long only because I can't put marks in the map...
I hate Free Haven for that reason alone...
Once I go to a location, it should be obvious to me what it is or where it is when I want to return...

I could not live without...

Lloyds Beacon,
Wizard Eye,
Power Cure,
Meteor Shower,
Star Burst,
Town Portal, Why this doesn't work on all towns once you use a fountain / visit, makes no sense...
Hour of Power,
Cure Weakness, thanks only to the above!!!
Flying Fist...

I almost never use the mind and spirit spell books, other than to fix someone...

Same thing with Earth, I almost never use those spells...

I think I could play the entire game with only Air, Water and Fire Spells...

jackjofi
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: What spells do you use in Might and Magic?

Unread postby jackjofi » 22 Mar 2023, 07:56

In the Might and Magic series, spells play an important role in combat and exploration. The specific spells available to the player can vary depending on the game in the series, but generally, there are several categories of spells that are commonly found:

Attack Spells: These spells are designed to deal damage to enemies, and typically include spells that deal direct damage, damage over time, or area of effect damage.

Defense Spells: These spells are designed to protect the player's party from harm, and may include spells that provide armor or resistance bonuses, as well as spells that grant temporary invincibility or immunity to specific types of damage.

Support Spells: These spells are designed to aid the player's party in various ways, and may include spells that increase movement speed, provide healing or restoration of health and mana, or enhance the party's abilities in combat.

Summoning Spells: These spells allow the player to summon creatures or allies to fight alongside them in combat.

Utility Spells: These spells are designed to help the player outside of combat, and may include spells that allow the player to teleport, fly, or unlock doors.

Overall, the spells available in Might and Magic are diverse and varied, and players are encouraged to experiment with different spell combinations to find the ones that work best for their playstyle.JTWhatsapp

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 22 Mar 2023, 14:06

Largely buff spells for me, since melee is my forte for some weird reason.

Might and Magic 6: There's so many monsters that you have to be efficient in how you spend your mana if you don't want to rest every five realtime minutes. Buff spells like Haste/Bless/Heroism rule the roost for me, and M Light is of utmost importance for maximum Hour of Power. AoE spells like Inferno/Ring of Fire/Prismatic Light are very important in the mid-game but unless you have immunity data on hand you're wasting mana half the time. (I actually discovered as part of my work with MAW: Earth Magic deals physical damage on all spells except for Mass Distortion, and Phys is the least resisted damage class in the game, so Earth should be your primary attack school before you learn Shrapmetal. It's just... Blades can miss and Earth doesn't have any party-safe field control options along with having an outdoor-only spell that requires geometry)

Might and Magic 7: Progression-based. Before the Arbiter's Choice I live off of E Spirit/Mind, afterwards GM Body and M Air. If I'm playing Light I emphasize buffs more, if I'm playing Dark I emphasize field control more.

Might and Magic 8: Mostly Reanimate and Berserk, since they're easier to access than before. There's a bit more call for outright attack spells here than in 7 due to more physical immunities, but you also get the weird immunity sets problems from 6 again as well thanks to having to dive into the elemental planes. so there's no one single "solves everything" spell school.

Tomsod
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Tomsod » 23 Mar 2023, 15:45

Early on attack spells are weak and expensive, so buffs are the most useful: Bless and Heroism, Shield, Haste and Fire Aura. Regeneration is outright broken in MM7, and Berserk is very helpful against groups of melee enemies. And Expert Wizard Eye is something I get ASAP, as I feel blind without it. By the midgame, dumping enough points into any elemental school makes it very powerful -- Fireball and Rock Blast are in particular quite economic. Eventually, bows become pointless compared to almost any attack spell, but AOE spells are still the best.

And the spambot two replies above obviously prefers Reanimate :P

Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Anubis » 24 Mar 2023, 08:57

My fav go-to spells are Rock Blast + Inferno + Meteor Shower + Starburst

Of course, I do 4x Druid for the spell pool

Eksekk
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Eksekk » 25 Mar 2023, 08:04

Buffs are amazing. I use them all the time, even if playing caster party, because they get a lot of weaker monsters killed without spending mana. Also the usual stuff like prot from magic/town portal/lloyd/fly/sometimes invis, as well as wizard eye (I NEED it :) ) and feather falling (I don't rush air magic usually, and this helps in barrow downs, as well as when exploring the map). Also resistances if needed (or I have day of prot), and regeneration (especially in 7).

If I am doing damage, then almost exclusively shotgun spells (sparks/poison spray/shrapmetal), sometimes aoe (usually fireball, I can't ever get rock blast to work - just explodes not doing anything), rarely some stronger spell like implosion if I hit enemy which devastates me in melee. When I feel like farming items and gold, I use meteor shower/starburst on high level maps. Amazing money and gear source, even without herding the enemies into group by flying in circles. :D

I also like using slow if I have the opportunity, which seems a bit underused compared to paralysis (which is op if you have 10+ light).
Unfinished mod by me: MM7 Rev4 mod, MMMerge version.

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 25 Mar 2023, 17:41

Rock Blast you have to know how it reacts to level geometry - MAW briefly (i think accidentally) made it targeted at one point (like Fireball is) and it very quickly became clear just how much power just that one change gives it. And that's a running theme with Earth Magic, you have to aim them manually.

Return to “Might and Magic”