What spells do you use in Might and Magic?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

What spells do you use in Might and Magic?

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 21 Mar 2006, 21:50

Just out of curiosity, what spells do you normally use (or never use) when playing the games? And why? I myself feel rather blind without a decent Wizard Eye spell cast, but I almost never use Divine Intervention because of the penalty to Age. I’d say my most commonly used spells would be:

Fly—even when I don’t really need to get somewhere high up, the speed boost alone often makes it worth it.
Wizard Eye—it’s an excellent to keep track of dead bodies and finding loose items
Invisbility—A good way to get through smaller dungeons quickly, though of course it depends on the dungeon.
Acid Burst, Meteor Shower—probably my most commonly used offensive spells, Acid Burst does good damage and Meteor Shower along with fly is good for hordes of weak, non-ranged foes. Mass Distortion is also nice when I have it.
Pain Reflection—the only Dark spell I use regularly, but it makes it sooo much easier to bring down foes I normally wouldn’t stand a chance against…
Town Portal/Lloyd’s Beacon—this is mostly for speed and saving frustration—I don’t have to check stables or boats, and I don’t have to waste travel time.
Miscellaneous healing spells—of course this is so general and obvious I hesitate to mention it.
Berserk—this was mostly in MMIX. Running through the Path of Darkness or whatever to get my Writ of Fate at low-level would have been impossible without this and Turn Undead. It’s also loads of fun to cast on the Winged Terrors in the passage between Thronhiem and Thojorgard. :D
Preservation and Regeneration—usually in concert, and with Pain Reflection if possible.

On the other hand, I almost never use: Telepathy (waste of time and spell points), Charm (why Charm it if I can kill it? And if I can’t I’ll be too busy retreating to cast the spell anyway), Stun, Divine Intervention (as mentioned before: the age penalty), Fate, most of the lower-level offensive Earth spells and most of the offensive Light and Dark spells (I think this is at least in part because it’s unavailable for so long in MMVII—by the time I can get it, my other spell skills have progressed enough that I use them instead).

But what about you? What spells do yo rely on and what spells do you never touch?

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 22 Mar 2006, 14:41

Haste -- the effectiveness of my game improved about three hundred percent when I learned to use this little baby.

I also mention Paralyze, Hour of Power, and Day of Protection. I'll save up points to spend on light magic just for those wonderful things. Both Hour of Power and Day of Protection are cast at many times the level you could get to by mastering their individual spell groups.

On the evil side, GM Vampiric Weapon is great stuff.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 22 Mar 2006, 15:25

In MM8, I'll not be caught without Wizard Eye, Fly and Torchlight cast. Levitation is also very good on the defensive enchantment side. For offense, I'll mostly use Light Bolt, Prismatic Light, Fireball, Inferno, Death Cloud, Dragon Breath and Souldrinker. And of course the cure spells, and the Water Magic movement spells.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Apeman
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Apeman » 23 Mar 2006, 01:53

Grandmaster sparks in the beginning.

Grandmaster Shrapmetal in the end.

Besides those the usual Day of Protection, Power cure, Wizard eye, Torchlight, Day of the Gods.

Justice
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Justice » 23 Mar 2006, 18:40

Invisibility
Fly
Sparks
Implosion
Lightning
Meteor shower
Starburst
Town Portal
Stone to flesh
Lloyds bacon
Divine intervention
Healing
protection from magic
Shrapmetal
shrink
dragon breath
Day of the gods, heroism, haste and all the other booster spells.

I never touch stun, charm and... well... i've forgotten the names of the other ones :|
Last edited by Justice on 23 Mar 2006, 20:07, edited 1 time in total.

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 23 Mar 2006, 19:16

Wizard Eye- Always, i love these colorfull dots :-D
Sparks- I love to go really close to an enemy and give him all my sparks :D
Fly-Always, i'm lazy, i know :proud:
Bless,Heroism,Heal-That's why I love priests :)
Meter Shower/Starburst- The quick way to clear out areas ;)

Those are my favorites, of-course all spells are needed and have their uses.By the way, nice topic, could be poll thought, you know, our favorite spell etc.
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

Suleman
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Suleman » 23 Mar 2006, 19:31

Apeman wrote:Grandmaster sparks in the beginning.
Somehow, getting grandmaster sparks in the beginning seems pretty odd to me. I wonder why... perhaps it has something to do with grandmastering Air Magic, yes?
"Yes, but what about David Beckham and the magic mushroom?"

I'm baaaaaack!

Apeman
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Apeman » 24 Mar 2006, 04:15

Somehow, getting grandmaster sparks in the beginning seems pretty odd to me. I wonder why... perhaps it has something to do with grandmastering Air Magic, yes?
Alright, how about this?

((grand)master,expert,normal) Sparks in the beginning of the game. With the beginning of the game I mean the time it takes to get your Dark magic skill high enough for Shrapmetal.

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 24 Mar 2006, 04:27

Just played through world of xeen again, and my most common offensive spells were energy blast (beginning) -> implosion. Healing spells are power cure and divine intervention (easy to reset age in darkside of xeen). I always have a day of protection cast and sometimes a power shield and obviously use town portal and beacon a bunch. I don't like wizard eye at all (except to find a hidden room) because I love painting in the little map squares myself :).

[T]osHiro
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby [T]osHiro » 24 Mar 2006, 10:34

Hour of Power
Day of the Gods
Wizards Eye
Fly
Fire Ball
Power Cure
Round Table Olympics '07 Image

DaveO
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby DaveO » 28 Mar 2006, 17:31

It depends on which M&M games you're referring to. For MM3 thru MM5, Mega Volts and Incinerate are good against tough monsters. Dancing Sword, Implosion, Fiery Flail were good single monster spells. Jump has been in MM3 up to MM8. Shrapmetal was in Xeen, but a very weak spell compared to MM6 thru MM8. Sparks was also in the earlier M&M games. It's a bit more bang-for-buck in MM6 thru MM8 though. Poison Spray and Fire Blast also were good multi-shot spells. I've always liked the usefulness of Wizard Eye and the travel spells in both MM3 thru MM5 and MM6 thru MM8.
I'd rather be part bull than a complete sheep.

purple_kathryn
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby purple_kathryn » 03 Apr 2006, 12:45

Generally speaking I'm a fight mode beat the crap outta em kind girl

However - Wizard eye - allllllll the time.

Torchlight - definite must.

Quite fond of town portal (specially in the later games, it's not that useful in MM6 since there are some areas where you can't transport to and can only get to by foot). - which is where lloyds beacon comes in.

I miss invisiblity in MM6

Offensively - nothing nicer than a meteor shower (or star burst)

millionmilesaway
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby millionmilesaway » 08 Apr 2006, 17:40

Wizard eye - a must with a big m.
Fly - who wants to walk when you can fly!?
Hour of Power - wonderful spell!
Day of the gods - great in caverns later on in the game!
Starburst - on large groups of monsters
Meteor shower - on titans and groups of monsters

When spells aren't effective, there's always a thing called brawn. :devil:

Mighty PatMan
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Mighty PatMan » 09 Apr 2006, 02:14

I'm currently playing through MM7 now (2nd time; I finished as an Evil party last week), and I've found two spells to be invaluable, especially early on: Heroism and Regenerate. Regen made up for my lack of a Cleric in the Evil game (my Paladin was good at healing, but no Power Cure made healing tough), and Heroism helps to smack the youknowhat out of tough monsters in the early game.
This is just some typing.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 10 Apr 2006, 03:00

Psychobabble wrote:Just played through world of xeen again, and my most common offensive spells were energy blast (beginning) -> implosion. Healing spells are power cure and divine intervention (easy to reset age in darkside of xeen). I always have a day of protection cast and sometimes a power shield and obviously use town portal and beacon a bunch. I don't like wizard eye at all (except to find a hidden room) because I love painting in the little map squares myself :).
You do know that if you have Wizard Eye cast, if you click on the map it will toggle between the fully-revealed (Wizard Eye) version and the partially revealed (no Wizard Eye) version? Or at least I seem to recall...
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 10 Apr 2006, 14:02

Mighty PatMan wrote:no Power Cure made healing tough
After my first game in MM7, I don't think I've ever used Power Cure. There didn't seem to be a lot of return on the spell point investment.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 10 Apr 2006, 14:05

Bandobras Took wrote:
Mighty PatMan wrote:no Power Cure made healing tough
After my first game in MM7, I don't think I've ever used Power Cure. There didn't seem to be a lot of return on the spell point investment.
Shared Life is often so much better, I always use it.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 10 Apr 2006, 16:03

Bandobras Took wrote: After my first game in MM7, I don't think I've ever used Power Cure. There didn't seem to be a lot of return on the spell point investment.
Well, if half your party has managed to get themselves rather seriously injured, it's sometimes worth it. It shouldn't be used out of combat though.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 11 Apr 2006, 13:22

Gaidal Cain wrote: Well, if half your party has managed to get themselves rather seriously injured, it's sometimes worth it. It shouldn't be used out of combat though.
But by the time you can get Power Cure, on the Light Side you've already got Day of Protection/Hour of Power, which makes it pretty difficult to get seriously injured, while on the Dark Side of things you'll have Vampiric Weapon, which combines with Haste to make it even more difficult to get seriously injured. :)

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 13 Apr 2006, 07:44

I have created sort of TOP 10 spell list that applies to MM6-MM8 with few exceptions, like Invisibility in MM6.

[1] Fly - without much debate I can name this spell as the most powerful spell that is in the Might and Magic universe. Not only it allows the party to move (actually fly) a lot more quickly than a normal walk and easily outrun any enemies, it also allows to access heavily guarded areas with no fight (and these areas usually hold great treasure) and also dodge enemy attacks, especially in TBM. The game drastically changes after one of the party member learns the Fly spell. This is the first spell I'm always aiming for, when playing MM6-MM8.

[2] Town Portal - again without much debate it is my second favourite spell that is a must. Not only it allows quick travel without cost of time (unlike fast travel in TESIV: Oblivion) but often also escape from situation when enemy is swarming around the party. Of course, Town Portalling while enemies are nearby works only at the highest level.

[3] Wizard's Eye - and finally, in the TOP 3 is also this spell. In fact, I think this spell was too easily attainable because it is hugely helpful, comparing to other Normal level spells. It should be set at least at Master level.

And the rest of the TOP 10:

4) Heal
5) Torch Light
6) Feather Fall
7) Protection from Magic
8) Invisibility
9) Lloids Beacon
10) Fire Aura

I did not mention any of the combined spells like Day of the Protection and Hour of Power that unite lots of good spells. They are a must anyway.

Return to “Might and Magic”