MM7 Question - Who are Ressurectra, Shelton, and Korak?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

MM7 Question - Who are Ressurectra, Shelton, and Korak?

Unread postby BMJedi » 17 Jan 2011, 21:52

Okay, so I just decided after finishing a game of MM6 this morning to start up again with an old save of MM7.

I just rescued Roland, killed Xenofex, and watched the Resurrectra movie and read the historians' notes.

Although I haven't yet completed/reviewed my undersea Lincoln mission, I have some questions about lore.

Resurrectra states that she and her crew were "tired of searching for the Ancients and for.." I forget exactly the exact words, but for "Shelton and Korak (sp?)".

Then they detected the energy signatures of certain parts they needed buried on Enroth, and thus made their decision to land in the sea, disagree on the best course of action, and part ways, and then present themselves as advisors to the two Enrothian leaders. (Magnus and Archibald)

Who are Resurrectra's people, exactly? Travellers from another colony world that fared better than Enroth ( still had space travel available)? Is there any significance to the ship's being named "Lincoln"? Were they escaping slavery, for example?

And who are Shelton and Korak?

Who, then, are the angels?

Is it true that Resurrectra's people hope that reopening the Stargate system and ending the Silence will immediately reestablish a connection with the Ancients?
Last edited by BMJedi on 17 Jan 2011, 22:05, edited 1 time in total.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke, "Clarke's Third Law".

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 17 Jan 2011, 21:58

It's Sheltem and Corak. To avoid wild spoilers I'll tell you to play Might and Magic 1-5 to find out. But it's safe enough to tell you that Resurrectra's people are the six default playable characters in Might and Magic III (including Sir Caneghem, Kastore, Maximus etc). Might and Magic VII is the first time they reappeared in the series since that game. :)

BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BMJedi » 17 Jan 2011, 22:02

Corlagon wrote:It's Sheltem and Corak. To avoid wild spoilers I'll tell you to play Might and Magic 1-5 to find out. But it's safe enough to tell you that Resurrectra's people are the six default playable characters in Might and Magic III (including Sir Caneghem, Kastore, Maximus etc). Might and Magic VII is the first time they reappeared in the series since that game. :)
Oh, wow, that's so cool! Can those earlier games still be played on Win7? And would they appear sharp enough in modern resolutions?

But who are the angels? And why "Lincoln" for the ship name?

EDIT: As a side note, posting this thread has made me look up the spelling of "to resurrect". One s, two r's. They don't spell it consistently in the game, either. High school English teachers take note - add this one to your spelling demons list!
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke, "Clarke's Third Law".

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 17 Jan 2011, 22:14

BMJedi wrote:But who are the angels?
Wouldn't we all like to know.
BMJedi wrote:And why "Lincoln" for the ship name?
It is a real-world reference, but not directly to Abe Lincoln. For whatever reason, NWC named it after a ship serving in the U.S. Naval fleet at the time.

BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BMJedi » 17 Jan 2011, 22:19

Corlagon wrote:
BMJedi wrote:But who are the angels?
Wouldn't we all like to know.
BMJedi wrote:And why "Lincoln" for the ship name?
It is a real-world reference, but not directly to Abe Lincoln. For whatever reason, NWC named it after a ship serving in the U.S. Naval fleet at the time.
Thanks, Corlagon! You're a veritable fountain of knowledge. The link is very helpful!

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 17 Jan 2011, 23:16

Hey BMJedi,

I know of this great little program called DOSBox that will let you play MM1-5 all the way through with full audio - all the music and sound effects.

I used this program to play my copies of MM3-5 and it is fantastic!
Here's the download link: http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1

You can search the web for copies of MM1-5 if you don't already have copies. I think they're all considered freeware, and I've downloaded them before so I know there are downloads out there.

The games are totally different, but totally classic. MM3 is my favorite out of MM3-5. You should definitely play that one!

~Ari

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 18 Jan 2011, 04:17

Corlagon wrote: It is a real-world reference, but not directly to Abe Lincoln. For whatever reason, NWC named it after a ship serving in the U.S. Naval fleet at the time.
Ahaha, I see what they did there. I think it's an indirect Star Trek reference. Enterprise was named after a ship in the US Navy as well (and we see it in ST05: The Journey Home).
MMXAlamar wrote:I know of this great little program called DOSBox that will let you play MM1-5 all the way through with full audio - all the music and sound effects.
Indeed, but I recommend using D-Fend Reloaded for that, because it comes with a very nice configuration editor that allows you to tweak a lot of options for each game individually to enhance their experience.

BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BMJedi » 18 Jan 2011, 21:06

Thanks for the links. It sounds a little complicated, but I might try it sometime.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 18 Jan 2011, 22:38

You could also buy the Might and Magic 6-pack from gog.com for $10, which comes with MM1-6, including guides, maps, manuals, and more importantly working dosbox with all the right settings so you can just jump in and play it without any hassle.

Personally I bought it and it all worked perfectly, although turns out I don't really like the old MM games. Oh well.. :P

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/might_an ... ed_edition
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 18 Jan 2011, 22:46

MMXAlamar wrote:I think they're all considered freeware
They aren't!
The rights holder is Ubisoft and it doesn't released them for free.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 19 Jan 2011, 00:08

Macros the Black wrote:ld also buy the Might and Magic 6-pack from gog.com for $10, which comes with MM1-6, including guides, maps, manuals, and more importantly working dosbox with all the right settings so you can just jump in and play it without any hassle.
I have the MM6 Limited Edition too, and it's a really cool product. It comes in a nice box and has all of the maps for the first 6 games.
Definitely a bargain for $10 :) and it's much less expensive than some of the other compilation sets.

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 19 Jan 2011, 00:27

Pol wrote:
They aren't!
Oh my mistake! I just found out that Ubisoft is the publisher of the Might and Magic Six Pack.
Well at least I own all the original games. I have MM1 on 5 1/4" disks, so I ended up finding a download of it somewhere on the internet.

It would be cool to play a modern version of MM1 in 3D some day.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 19 Jan 2011, 13:33

Macros the Black wrote:more importantly working dosbox with all the right settings so you can just jump in and play it without any hassle.
Meh. Configuring it yourself will lead to you understanding how it works as well as improved graphics and sound.

mkienenb
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby mkienenb » 19 Jan 2011, 13:34

MMXAlamar wrote:
Pol wrote:
They aren't!
Oh my mistake! I just found out that Ubisoft is the publisher of the Might and Magic Six Pack.
Well at least I own all the original games. I have MM1 on 5 1/4" disks, so I ended up finding a download of it somewhere on the internet.

It would be cool to play a modern version of MM1 in 3D some day.
You can still buy the set of MM 1-6 at gog.com with all the work already done to make them run on modern operating systems:

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/might_an ... ed_edition

Normally $10, but sometimes it's on sale.

Return to “Might and Magic”