MM6 slow keyboard

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
dogthenine
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

MM6 slow keyboard

Unread postby dogthenine » 12 Jan 2011, 20:41

I just re-installed MM6 on windows XP. I don't recall if I had this problem before, but, basically, my keyboard is slow. When I try to hit <enter> I have to press it several times or hold it down. Same with any key.

I'm thinking that perhaps something is lagging? (although clicking with the mouse is instantaneous)

Anyone have any suggestions? It's definitely making the game much less enjoyable.

I'm using the 1.2 patch and .exe that allows the game to run in XP.
I also tried setting the compatibility to win98.

Thanks.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 12 Jan 2011, 22:52

Tried restarting the OS?

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 13 Jan 2011, 06:03

Funny coincidence. This has recently been reported in my patch thread. GetKeyStateAsync must be the reason.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

dogthenine
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby dogthenine » 13 Jan 2011, 14:57

thanks. i turned my computer on this morning and was able to at least use the <enter> key easily :)

edit: I found the problem. It was another program that I was running. I went back to play the game after posting this and the keys were slow again. I only had a couple of things running, and after I shut the 2nd program down, the game worked fine again. Thanks for the replies.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 15 Jan 2011, 16:26

Start / Control Panel / Keyboard
"Repeat Delay" and "Repeat Rate"

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 15 Jan 2011, 19:29

Duh, nobody changes those as soon as they install MM games, now do they?

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 16 Jan 2011, 13:47

UndeadHalfOrc, no, that's not the case. That would effect blasters speed though. The thing is that MM uses a deprecated feature of GetKeyStateAsync. If some other program regularly calls GetKeyStateAsync, MM misses key strokes.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Return to “Might and Magic”