Special items in might and magic

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
jmaster
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Special items in might and magic

Unread postby jmaster » 16 Dec 2010, 18:50

Hello to all of you :)
I want to ask about some special and unusial items in might and magic, e.g blasters and artifacts(especially bow Ulysses).

I want to add blasters to M&M8(just for me, first steps of modding :) ) and I can`t find where parameters of such items placed. I`ll tell you what I found about blaster:
1) In might and magic 7 their shooting ability attached to items with id 64 and 65. If I change parameters of any item in items.txt(events.lod), as example - first sword, to all blaster parameters i`ll receive melee blaster(without shooting, acting like melee weapon, but with blaster sound and sprites when dropped on map).
2) Blaster look when equipped with player is overlayed directly in mm7.exe to item64v1.tga. No information about blaster rifle somewhere in exe-file.
3) Changing type from "weapon" to "missile" in items.txt makes blaster equippable like a bow and shooting with arrows(sound is used from bow, not from blaster)

There are some other questions:
1) Where changed missile of Ullyses from arrow to ice bolt?
2) Where are added parameters of unique items? I speak about parameters for, as example, Iron Feather(+40 strength, electricity damage).

Thankyou for answers and sorry for my English :)

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Re: Special items in might and magic

Unread postby Macros the Black » 16 Dec 2010, 23:57

As someone who has no idea about mm coding but a natural understanding of how systems usually work...
jmaster wrote:1) In might and magic 7 their shooting ability attached to items with id 64 and 65. If I change parameters of any item in items.txt(events.lod), as example - first sword, to all blaster parameters i`ll receive melee blaster(without shooting, acting like melee weapon, but with blaster sound and sprites when dropped on map).

3) Changing type from "weapon" to "missile" in items.txt makes blaster equippable like a bow and shooting with arrows(sound is used from bow, not from blaster)
Sounds like this is what tells the game which group of weapon types the specific item, in this case the regular "blaster" (the blaster rifle is probably another item in the .txt file altogether), should correspond to. If my guess is correct, you're editing blasters without editing blaster rifles, just like you might edit mage daggers without editing assassin's daggers.
2) Blaster look when equipped with player is overlayed directly in mm7.exe to item64v1.tga. No information about blaster rifle somewhere in exe-file.
Whereas this is apparently what controls the weapon type "blasters" or to be more accurate, anything that corresponds to the "ancient weapons" skill. I assume this controls both blasters as well as blaster rifles because the .txt file would then specify them to be linked to this particular weapon type. Just like the weapon type "ranged" should control both bows and crossbows. That's why there's no seperate "blaster rifle" setting, they're included in the weapon type.

From my small understanding of such things the exe files usually control much broader classifications to make the engine understand what's going on, while .txt files would give the specifics of such things (in this case, individual items themselves). You could see it as the .exe file making the rules, and the .txt file telling the game which items should follow which rules.

Again, I've no understanding of coding at all. I just have a mind for figuring out the way people create rules and systems and backtracking from there. I could be totally off. You could try looking at other weapons to see if it works the same for them, like my dagger or bows/crossbows examples. See if the .txt file holds all types of dagger and the .exe file only daggers themselves. I'm sure someone else who already knows how this all works from experience in dealing with these files might reply before that, though. Should I put another disclaimer in here how I have no experience with this stuff, am just guessing, and I'm likely wrong? You get the point, right? :)

I have no idea about unique items. They might work totally differently, or have their own .exe as well as .txt file connections/descriptions/parameters.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

Nomad
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Nomad » 17 Dec 2010, 21:07

Blasters, Rifles and Underwater Suits are special items because their behaviour is hardcoded in a separate logic branch, apart of regular items. They barely obey regular item interaction patterns.
This is most likely due to mm7 engine is originally mm6 engine with much of such new "branches".

jmaster
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby jmaster » 18 Dec 2010, 09:44

Thanks, I understand :)
Question is one: is this section of code in mm8 for one of the items? Is it possible at all to add blasters without sources?

And secound: is it possible to change arrow shoot from one of the bows? I haven`t found where changed shots bow Ulyssies, but maybe it will be easier(to make blaster rifle ranged-only weapons like bows I mean :) )

Return to “Might and Magic”