New unofficial MM7 patch in the works

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
chickenfist
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

New unofficial MM7 patch in the works

Unread postby chickenfist » 13 Dec 2010, 19:48

Hello! I'm chickenfist, new to the forums, and I'd like to announce my project I've been working on, a new patch for MMVII based on GrayFace's 1.5.1 - (I really hope he doesn't mind, great work).

My main goals are improving hardware support and Vista/7 compability.

Current changes:
Engine:
- Switching to Windowed mode now automatically switches to 16-bit mode graphics, exiting the game automatically switches back to 32.
- Fixes Windows Vista/7 video problems in hardware mode (Videos freezing, only playing sound etc.)

Misc:
- Improved launcher utility with a lot more options.

In progress:
- Audio fixes: Make volume sliders and infinitely looping music work again.

Now, I'd like to hear some suggestions of other things you would like me to fix, I will do my best to correct the ones that are fixable. :)

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Re: New unofficial MM7 patch in the works

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 13 Dec 2010, 20:52

Oh wow, that sounds great. While video problems can be solved by switching to windowed mode and back IIRC, having looping audio working right would be awesome.
Then again, it would be even better if it wasn't limited to MM7. Right now I can't even play MM6 due to a music-related issue :\

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 14 Dec 2010, 10:29

I thought the music was never supposed to loop actually? Makes it better when the music does play.

On another note, Grayface might be interested in incorporating this patch into his future releases if it works right.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

NicholasRay
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby NicholasRay » 14 Dec 2010, 23:25

Sweet stuff!

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: New unofficial MM7 patch in the works

Unread postby GrayFace » 15 Dec 2010, 10:30

That's very cool! Video problems are something I had no idea how to fix and I couldn't fix audio looping too so far (partially because it loops fine on my computer). I didn't know about problems with volume sliders. The mode change is also very nice.
I would indeed like to include these changes into the next version of my patch. It's already gonna be a joint effort, as Black Phantom has fixed many bugs in game events, even the ones as minor as flags of wrong faction being placed in Castle Harmondale. This will be when I get back to working on patches.
Are you planning MM8 and MM6 versions of this patch after you release the one for MM7?
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Rune_Caster
Demon
Demon

To chickenfist\Grayface:

Unread postby Rune_Caster » 28 Dec 2010, 11:48

Do you think it might be possible to have an option that turns background music on and off (when you minimize the might and magic 6-8 games in windows) That is something I have missed from the origional... (also what keyboard mute is for!)
Last edited by Rune_Caster on 28 Dec 2010, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 28 Dec 2010, 20:15

What do you mean? Doesn't the music stop when you minimize MM already?
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Rune_Caster
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Rune_Caster » 28 Dec 2010, 21:26

GrayFace wrote:What do you mean? Doesn't the music stop when you minimize MM already?
It does. I do not hear music. I just wanted an option to turn it on and off in the might and magic 6-8 configuration settings, I kinda miss the music in the background...

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 31 Dec 2010, 12:23

Wouldn't a music player handle it better? :)

Nomad
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Nomad » 31 Dec 2010, 20:08

Rune_Caster wrote:It does. I do not hear music. I just wanted an option to turn it on and off in the might and magic 6-8 configuration settings, I kinda miss the music in the background...
Standard MM audio player does not support such functionality.

Rune_Caster
Demon
Demon

Somthing for chickenfist/grayface

Unread postby Rune_Caster » 20 Feb 2011, 14:11

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/41610-mi ... n/58178432

Is it possible to add targeting for Meteor Shower and Starburst later down the line?

Return to “Might and Magic”