MM7: Do all earth spells do earth damage?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
TheAnyKey
Peasant
Peasant

MM7: Do all earth spells do earth damage?

Unread postby TheAnyKey » 13 Oct 2010, 05:57

I think I read some time ago that Blade does physical damage, like a melee weapon or a bow, is that true?

How about Deadly Swarm, Rock Blast, Death Blossom or Mass Distortion? Do they cause physical or earth magic damage or maybe even magical damage, if there is such spell type in MM7(there is a magic resistance for player characters in MM6).

Which earth spells do physical(if any) and which earth spells do earth magic damage? Are there magic damage spells?

Thanks.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 13 Oct 2010, 08:47

If I am correct then in mm7 spells do damage according to it's school - ice/acid spells do water, blades do earth and so on, .Dont remember what was deal with dark/light, but there was alot of mobs who were immune to them. like angels immune to light, and tolberti immune to dark/light, even if there was no way to increase resistances to them in stat page for your own characters.
In mm6 hoverer it was how you said. Blades/sharpmetal do physical. Also water schools magic acid based spells do acid damage while ice do ice damage. Was long time ago, but I think there was several spells that did magic damage as well. If you check you can see that resist spells in both games are different. There is prot acid/electricity/cold/poison... in mm 6 while there is prot water/air/fire in mm7

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 13 Oct 2010, 22:50

EDIT: lol @ my title. Is it because I have 666 posts?

Like tress said, in Might and Magic 6 the damage depends on the type of spell.
All fire magic spells deal fire damage.
Air Magic spells deal electricity damage, except for Implosion which deals physical damage.
Water Magic deals either cold or poison damage depending on the spell.
Earth Magic spells deal physical damage, except for Mass Distortion which does magic damage.
All self magic spells, even Flying Fist, deal magic damage. There's no spirit, mind or body damage in Might and Magic 6.
Light Magic spells deal magic damage, although I'm not sure about Destroy Undead. I think it can't be resisted (or at least no undead creature appears to be immune to whatever damage type it is - maybe energy damage?).
Dark Magic spells also deal magic damage, with two MAJOR exceptions: Shrapmetal deals physical damage and Dragon Breath deals fire damage.

In Might and Magic 7 the damage of a spell is completely dependant on the magic school. While the player characters can't have resistance against Spirit, Light or Dark, those damage types do exist and enemies do use them.

In Might and Magic 8, it is the same as Might and Magic 7, except that there are race-specific schools of magic that have spells that deal damage based on the type of spell it is, like in Might and Magic 6. For instance, Darkfire Bolt, a Dark Elf spell, deals either fire or dark damage, whichever the target has the least resistance to.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 14 Oct 2010, 19:51

Macros the Black wrote:Light Magic spells deal magic damage, although I'm not sure about Destroy Undead.
Sun Ray is a fire attack (and don't harm e.g. Red Dragons).
Destroy Undead is a special attack (damage only undead and cannot be resisted), as well as Turn Undead from Spirit School.
Macros the Black wrote: Dark Magic spells also deal magic damage, with two MAJOR exceptions: Shrapmetal deals physical damage and Dragon Breath deals fire damage.
Toxic Cloud and Dragon Breath are acid attacks.
Moon Ray is a special attack (cannot be resisted).
Shrapmetal, yes, is physical.

P.S. I've completed MMVII before playing MMVI and was wandered that Titans are immune to Armageddon spell (it deals magical damage, and Titans are immune to this kind).

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 14 Oct 2010, 23:06

Oh yes, I forgot Toxic Cloud. It's indeed Poison Damage. I don't know about the rest. Things to test:

1. Sun Ray on Magic-immune, non fire-immune creature (elementals?).
2. Dragon Breath on poison-immune, non fire-immune creature (elementals?).
3. Moon Ray on Diamond Gargoyle (don't think there are any Oozes outside).

I think Armageddon does magic damage so they could more easily make creatures immune to it without making them fire immune - if Titans were Fire Immune neither Meteor Shower nor Starburst would work on them.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 16 Oct 2010, 05:15

Macros the Black wrote: Sun Ray on Magic-immune, non fire-immune creature (elementals?).
Macros the Black wrote:I think Armageddon does magic damage...
Yes, it does.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 16 Oct 2010, 13:14

Ok, so Sun Ray obviously deals fire damage :D
Yes, it does.
I know it does, I was just explaining why I think it does magic damage...

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 16 Oct 2010, 13:40

I've done extensive MM6 testing (and mods to Monsters resistance)
tolich's correction on Macros' post about MM6 are indeed entirely correct (the rest of Macros' post being otherwise correct).

In my mod I made some creature previously immune to magic damage, not immune anymore (but all retain a very high resistance to them).
So, Mass Distortion, Armageddon, Flying Fist, Psychic Shock and Prismatic Light will now work on Minotaurs, Genies, Titans, Gold Dragons, the 2 weaker kind of defenders of VARN, and finally the strongest devils/flying devils.

I also changed robots so they take damage from Poison (so Dragon Breath works on them, albeit not THAT effectively since they still have a high resistance, but great if they are bunched up and 20 meters away from you. Shrapmetal is still much better at close distance).

Alan06
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Alan06 » 26 Oct 2010, 14:06

rock blast and death blossom do earth damage, blades and deadly swarm physical i think, and mass distortion maybe earth i don't know. I will test it against oozes

Rune_Caster
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Rune_Caster » 26 Oct 2010, 19:36

I have been killing Diamond Gargoyles in MM6 at level 1 with just Spirit Arrow, Static Charge/Sparks and Cold Beam.

Return to “Might and Magic”