M&M 6+7: Can I have videos with the GrayFace patch insta

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
TheAnyKey
Peasant
Peasant

M&M 6+7: Can I have videos with the GrayFace patch insta

Unread postby TheAnyKey » 12 Oct 2010, 04:06

As soon as I install the GrayFace MM6/7 Patch I have no video sequences. I only hear the sound of the videos and the picture freezes on the last frame, with "esc" the game continues normally after the video.

Since the patches fix the exe so that I don't need the Play CD anymore I suppose the videos are on the play CD.

Can I somehow have videos with the GrayFace patch installed?

solitaire345
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby solitaire345 » 12 Oct 2010, 06:13

there should be folder with files with extensions *.vid on the CD. check if these exist in <gamedirectory>/vids, and if they don't, copy them there

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 12 Oct 2010, 13:27

The intro videos have problems on win7 x64 IIRC. Other videos don't.

Rune_Caster
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Rune_Caster » 12 Oct 2010, 22:19

It might be because your running a 64 bit OS and trying to play a game designed for a 32 bit OS...

I found that out when I try to install older dos games on a 64 bit OS with out using D-Fend/Dosbox... It just doesn't work...

I might have to install a 32 bit OS again just to fix some of the compatibility problems...

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 13 Oct 2010, 13:29

64bit OSs can emulate 32bit programs perfectly. And it runs just fine on WinXP x64. 16bit programs are a different question, and that's what DOS programs are.

Rune_Caster
Demon
Demon

Windows XP x64 (64 bit OS) could not run...

Unread postby Rune_Caster » 14 Oct 2010, 03:57

Win Xp Professional x64 (64 bit OS) could not run the Might and Magic Millennium Edition install (where the nice pdf hint books for might and magic 4-7 and all the nice extras...) So I will have to try Win 7 Professional x64/Win Xp Professional x86 (32 bit OS)

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 14 Oct 2010, 04:50

It did run for me IIRC. What's the error message, if any?

Rune_Caster
Demon
Demon

No error message, it's just the install program locks up

Unread postby Rune_Caster » 14 Oct 2010, 06:56

It is run through a 32 bit conversion process then the install program dissappears and nothing happens... So I just deleted Win Xp Professional x64 and went to Xp Professional x86 and kept Win 7 professional x64 (dual boot)

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 14 Oct 2010, 14:32

There is no conversion process, it's done on runtime. And if the program disappears without a message, that means it's NOT because of unmatched bits. If it was so, you would get this error message: "The image file is valid, but is for a machine type other than the current machine."

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 14 Oct 2010, 16:38

Roughly half the time when I die in MM7 it stays on the last frame just before I die and only plays the sound of the death video. The other half of the time it works normally. This problem might be related.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 14 Oct 2010, 20:02

Yeap, definitely related.

Oh, and I forgot to mention in the last post, when your installer doesn't launch, it's usually because of an anti-virus, they somehow don't like MM installers. Try a clean boot.

Rune_Caster
Demon
Demon

I did a clean Install of Win Xp Professional x86 (32 bit)

Unread postby Rune_Caster » 14 Oct 2010, 22:06

After loading all the drivers back on and windows update I was able to install World of Xeen, Swords of Xeen (Win 95 mode) and Might and Magic 6 and 7 (win 95 again) funny how the Might and Magic installer thought I had a 113 mhz processor (I have a AMD Phenom II x2 555 dual processer 3.214 Mhz)

So yeah older Might and Magic games have problems with 64 bit processors...

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 15 Oct 2010, 03:53

Xeen games are 16-bit and can only be played through DOSBox or Windows on Windows. MM6 and MM7 work just fine on x64, I have the Millenium edition as well and it installs just fine if you don't have any anti-virus or other settings preventing it from running.

Oh yea, and about the video problem - run the game in windowed mode and it should be back to normal. No idea why, but it works for me.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: I did a clean Install of Win Xp Professional x86 (32 bit

Unread postby GrayFace » 15 Oct 2010, 20:09

TheAnyKey, the problem would probably persist if you install Mok's patch, but I would be thankful if you try. New versions of video and sound dlls are used since Mok's patch and I think that's the reason.
Rune_Caster wrote:So yeah older Might and Magic games have problems with 64 bit processors...
Not with processors, but with 64 bit OS's.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Return to “Might and Magic”