MM6: Age related question

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Swordmaster
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

MM6: Age related question

Unread postby Swordmaster » 15 Aug 2010, 09:42

Hi there!

I realise I probably should have known this, but what does the aging of your characters really do? I'm surfing through Corlagan's Estate (again) and find myself older by the minute in face to face action with the Specters. Should I proceed with more caution?

Thanks in advance!

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 15 Aug 2010, 10:03

The older you get, the weaker you become. Stats will lower, so your damage/hp/sp/acuracy will lower.

The cure is a potion of rejuvenation, which can be made handheld and can be found in I believe Hermit's Isle.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 15 Aug 2010, 10:27

Not really - when you are old (but not too old), your intelligence and personality rise but if you get few years more even then will drop.

And in MM6 for rejuvenation use Fountain of Youth located on desert part of Hermit's Isle map (potion is not good option to use because it remove stats IIRC).

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 15 Aug 2010, 10:36

It's rather permanent effect (you can cure it later on), but you need @#$$ load of extra age to feel any difference. Unless you spam DI there is no way to harmful thresholds

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 15 Aug 2010, 14:30

The effect is the same as tress wrote for mm7. It affects your base stat, not the bonuses gained from equipment. After 140 year of age DI has no aging effect, thus to pass 150 years needs special effort.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 15 Aug 2010, 16:59

tress wrote:It's rather permanent effect (you can cure it later on), but you need @#$$ load of extra age to feel any difference. Unless you spam DI there is no way to harmful thresholds
... Or use lots Divine Cure and Divine Magic potions.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 16 Aug 2010, 08:35

You can always mix black potion if for some unimaginable reason you pass threshold of 100, although it drains 1 of all stats if I remember correctly. Also once you get to hermit isle location you can restore hp at no cost by using fountain.
Imo age is pretty much relic from older mm games where time went a lot faster(100 days a year, 1 day to check shop and so on, not to mention trips into desert without skill) and i think there were more aging effects too. For mm6-8 age is pretty much leftover as nod to older games when age was more significant. In mm9 age is abolished altogether, then again they removed alot of features just to do less job.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 16 Aug 2010, 17:52

tress wrote:not to mention trips into desert without skill
… or without desert map (MM1).

Rune_Caster
Demon
Demon

Wow they removed age from might and magic 9...

Unread postby Rune_Caster » 17 Aug 2010, 11:35

No wonder no one likes that might and magic... True each year in Might and Magic 3-5 was only 100 days, you could play through most of the clouds of xeen and darkside of xeen with out ever having to rest (using fountains to heal hp/mp etc)

There were no major penalties for not sleeping, even "weakness" would usually auto cure it's self... In might and Magic 6+ not sleeping causes weakness, followed by insanity and death. (both nasty side effects of not sleeping)

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 17 Aug 2010, 12:19

Resting hardly ever was most time consuming factor, even more in latest mm series due to convenient option to regain stats in temple. If i remember corectly in mm6-8 i ever rested only to wait for shops/ship/stables to open. There was hardly ever need to rest to regain resources - maybe only for first few levels. Of course there was repercussions for not resting(insanity/death) but usually you made cross location trip once in a while that counts as resting.

Return to “Might and Magic”