Mod request/question - arcomage

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

Mod request/question - arcomage

Unread postby BMJedi » 06 Jul 2010, 14:15

I love Arcomage in MM7, but I find it boring to play without money at stake.

Is there any way to mod the game where you could gamble for gold in game as a possible income source? It awards you gold the first time you win in a tavern, but then nothing.

I wish you could gamble an amount of money for double or nothing - as though each player were putting up the same amount, winner takes it all.

Also, has anybody else ever tried to imagine how you could play Arcomage as a table game in real life? You'd need two decks of cards (they could be sold in collectible packs like that Magic:the Gathering game people used to be into), and sets of something like Lego pieces for towers and walls, and poker chips for resource piles. They'd be different colors to represent different denominations, like blue=1, green=5, red=10, white=50, etc.

I wonder if the game would lose its fast rhythm if you had to move pieces around a board everytime you played a card? You'd have to manage the resource chips on every turn as well.

Sorry, I'm a little bit eccentric, and my mind actually goes to places like this on a regular basis. :hoo:
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke, "Clarke's Third Law".

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 06 Jul 2010, 15:30

Wouldnt be exactly fair since pc cant play for s#$%.
Only time you can potentially lose if you know rules is when walls are high or you get REALLY unlucky. And even then it is barely possible

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 06 Jul 2010, 16:10

Hmm, I guess it could be possible to add credit support to my Arcomage clone...
As for a board game, you can do that, although recalculating scores would take some time. There's a thread somewhere that shows how many cards are in the deck, too. Also, printing out cards is easy.

Konfuzius
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Konfuzius » 06 Jul 2010, 17:27

Also, has anybody else ever tried to imagine how you could play Arcomage as a table game in real life? You'd need two decks of cards (they could be sold in collectible packs like that Magic:the Gathering game people used to be into), and sets of something like Lego pieces for towers and walls, and poker chips for resource piles. They'd be different colors to represent different denominations, like blue=1, green=5, red=10, white=50, etc.
Well this german guy did ^^

http://www.mightandmagicworld.de/phpbb/ftopic22123.html

English summary:

Each player has one tower, a wall, 3 types of resources and a lot of cards. To represent the value of your wall and your tower you stick wodden rings on them.

The maximum of each resource is ten and the color of the stones illustrates the resource ( grey = stone, blue = mana, green = monsters).

He printed the cards out and stuck them on cardboards.

And because the game is rather complex (especially the resources which are hard to represent) he decided to make a "light version" and adapted the rules of Arcomage a bit. So he cut the value of all cards in half.

For example if you want to use the card Crystal Matrix (sorry I don't have the English names in my mind and can't guarantee a 100% accurate translation of the cards) you normally need 6 crystals but in the light version you only need 3.

If you have cards with x.5 you bring them down to a round figure.

Skeeve
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Skeeve » 06 Jul 2010, 18:03

Funny - back when MM7 was brand-new, I thought that Arcomage was an actual 3D0 game to be sold separately as an online-competition game.

BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BMJedi » 07 Jul 2010, 01:20

Thanks for the link, Konfuzius. I'll have to brush up on my German skills and take a close look at that website. I have it bookmarked now.

BTW - How in the world did you find this? Are you bilingual?

Danke schoen.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke, "Clarke's Third Law".

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 07 Jul 2010, 10:07

Skeeve wrote:Funny - back when MM7 was brand-new, I thought that Arcomage was an actual 3D0 game to be sold separately as an online-competition game.
It was sold separate and had online playing option. Unfortunately, online play no longer works in latest Windows versions.

EDIT: Here are the deck numbers if you're interested:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showpost ... stcount=32

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 08 Jul 2010, 08:42

Taverns are hard-coded and Arcomage is only playable from them. It would require some searching in game code to enable Arcomage for scripts. So, it can be made moddable in MMExtension, but now it's not.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Return to “Might and Magic”