MM6: Favourite portrait

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

MM6: Pick your favorite portrait

11%
3%
11%
3%
17%
3%
3%
28%
3%
8%
8%
3%

Total votes: 36

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

MM6: Favourite portrait

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 08 May 2010, 21:57

1: Everything about this guy reminds me of Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I imagine him with a servant behind him banging coconuts to simulate the sound of horses. Is it me or it's the same voice as Archibald Ironfist? (Default Paladin; "Roderick")

2: "Chalk one more up for the big guy!" Ironically, first time I used him he was my cleric in a SSCD party, so he didn't say that line all that often.

3: My go-to guy for Knights and Paladins. This one got my vote.

4: That hairdo and mustache would fit someone with more muscles.

5: His paperdoll face looks NOTHING like his main portrait. It looks like it was actually drawn by a (bad) artist instead of using a photo.

6: Looks & sounds weak and dresses in pajamas. Next.

7: Kinds reminds me of The Rock, but less big.

8: Ah, the quiet guy. One of the least annoying, I pick him often to be my archer. (Default sorcerer; "Zoltan")

9: The english lady

10: The Xena wanna-be. (Default cleric; "Serena", named after MM1's default cleric)

11: Her voice is the same as that ugly cleric in the intro movie. "Look I see a way out!". As for the portrait, that woman actually looks good when you use page up and page down, and when she's afraid.

12. Boring. (Default archer; "Alexis")

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 08 May 2010, 22:09

I like 2, 3, 5, 8 and 12. Everyone else I dislike. I like 8 the best though, he's almost always my archer or sorcerer. If he's a sorcerer I use his default name, Zoltan.

About 1., I too think his voice sounds like Archibald's, but I can't be sure. When you compare him saying "choose me or suffer!" with Archibald's "yes, thank you heroes. Thank you for saving my kingdom for me!" it sounds like it's the same guy. However, I can't really imagine him being the same one as the guy who voice acts Archibald in MM7, because in MM7 Archibald sounds kina gay at times in the intro video. And 1.'s voice actor never sounds gay, just cheesy. Then again, comparing MM6 Archibald with MM7 Archibald I'm pretty that IS the same voice actor.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 09 May 2010, 06:12

From all of them I like 1, 3, 8, 10 and 11 and that's it, all others are horrible. I never understood why they went with photos in the first place... Probably they were lazy to draw things or to model them...
Anyway, my vote goes to 11, she's the best looking from the 5.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 09 May 2010, 16:34

Voted 5 since he was my archer and also my favorite char in my first mm6 run. Bit reminds me of Robin Hood from some old tv series, although must agree that his paper doll is rather unlucky made and quite unlike him.
Personally I think mm6 have really small percent of decent portraits. 1,2,5,8 imo is quite good and it was my first team. 3,6 is more or less. Rest are just atrocious, specially females.
9,10is just ugly,
11. over the top gypsy.
12 more or less, would take her if I was required to take female char.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: MM6: Favourite portrait

Unread postby Avonu » 09 May 2010, 17:50

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:Image
I think I saw someof them in other media:

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:4: That hairdo and mustache would fit someone with more muscles.
UndeadHalfOrc wrote:5: His paperdoll face looks NOTHING like his main portrait. It looks like it was actually drawn by a (bad) artist instead of using a photo.

I my chose for party: 1, 5, 9, 11. Sometimes 8 insead of 1.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Re: MM6: Favourite portrait

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 09 May 2010, 18:24

Avonu, If you're gonna link to an image of Obelix, at least use a PROPER Obelix, not the atrocious live-action movie version

But good point about the hairdo.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 13 May 2010, 05:25

Both movies about Osterix and Obelix are great.
Voted for 8. 1, 2, 4, 12 are also good portraits.
10, 11, 7 are terrible.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 13 May 2010, 08:43

GrayFace wrote:Both movies about Osterix and Obelix are great.
IMO - only second one of all three was great and so funny as animation movies.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 13 May 2010, 13:40

If you had been reading the entirety of the actual comic books (as I did, since I was a kid), you wouldn't think the same about the movies with Gerard Depardieu as Obelix. They all sucked HARD.

Of the animated movies, most of the earlier ones (from 70s and 80s) are allright, but still can't touch the humor and "completeness" of the books. The ones made in the 90s and 2000s and complete shit.

The last comic book (from 2004) was crap, though. Uderzo can't cut it anymore. The comic books' quality have steadily been gping downhill since Goscinny (the orignal scenarist) died in 1977.

My first language is french, and every little boy at school in Quebec and France reads some Asterix at some point in his life! Don't mess with me, I know my Asterix! ;)

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 13 May 2010, 15:47

Talk about plaited males... (try pronouncing that - /pun)

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 14 May 2010, 07:03

Avonu wrote:IMO - only second one of all three was great and so funny as animation movies.
Yes, I also liked the second one more. I don't quite remember how good the first one was actually. I didn't know there was the third movie.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Coldy
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Coldy » 14 May 2010, 21:52

Hmmm, got to go with no. 8 on this one. :)

motter28218
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby motter28218 » 19 May 2010, 15:54

Wow, I've always thought people were so cruel when it comes to these portraits always saying how ugly they were and stuff, I mean from what I understand these were real people posing for those portraits, even if you guys think they are ugly do you really have to say that, I mean they were asked to pose for the game, they agreed, wouldn't you? Do they deserve to be insulted so much for that? I don't think so.

But frankly, I don't even think those people are even ugly, maybe not supermodels sure, and the chick in #10 looks like she might beat you up, but still I don't think they are ugly, and I acutally liked the portaits, the fact that they weren't supermodels to me it one of the big things that gave this game alot of it's charm, my fav is ole Roderick "Choose me or suffer" or when he finds a nice item "Hooooooaaaaa!!!", classic. My fav party would be Roderick - Paladin, Alexis - Archer, British Girl as my Sorc, and Zoltan as my Cleric, but I like them all except #7, he just looks so out of place, didn't have much of a Medieval look to him.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 19 May 2010, 16:30

Well, devs were too lazy to create 3D models so that's what they get...

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 20 May 2010, 03:07

motter28218 wrote:Wow, I've always thought people were so cruel when it comes to these portraits always saying how ugly they were and stuff, I mean from what I understand these were real people posing for those portraits, even if you guys think they are ugly do you really have to say that, I mean they were asked to pose for the game, they agreed, wouldn't you? Do they deserve to be insulted so much for that? I don't think so.

But frankly, I don't even think those people are even ugly, maybe not supermodels sure, and the chick in #10 looks like she might beat you up, but still I don't think they are ugly, and I acutally liked the portaits, the fact that they weren't supermodels to me it one of the big things that gave this game alot of it's charm, my fav is ole Roderick "Choose me or suffer" or when he finds a nice item "Hooooooaaaaa!!!", classic. My fav party would be Roderick - Paladin, Alexis - Archer, British Girl as my Sorc, and Zoltan as my Cleric, but I like them all except #7, he just looks so out of place, didn't have much of a Medieval look to him.
Great post!

Yeah, I also agree that #7 doesn't fit there at all. I imagine him cruising around in a convertible in a big city, constantly talking on his cell phone.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 20 May 2010, 23:13

motter28218 wrote:Too long to quote
I agree completely. In fact, I actually prefer the real faces over the 3D ones in the other games. It's a shame there's so few of them to choose from though (I think MM7 had double the amount of characters to choose). I think it's a least a part of the reason why people don't like these, because there aren't enough to choose from, so there aren't as many they like to use.

Btw, 7 looks more like a poser to me.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 23 May 2010, 08:26

1, 5, 8 and 10. All the way!

Never picked someone else!

BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BMJedi » 29 Jun 2010, 20:07

I like 3, 4, and 8 for guys, and 10, 11, and 12 for females. I sometimes use 6 for the Mark Hamil voice.

I voted 8 for my favorite because I think he has a classic Robin Hood kind of look to him.

I also prefer the live-actor portraits to the rendered models. The portraits are one of the main reasons I still play MM6.

Having pictures of real people doing the acting greatly increases my immersion in the game.

Even the best present-day 3D models still look like cartoons instead of real people.

I look forward to the day when game technology can produce a game like MM6 using not only this style of portraits, but also with everything you see on screen being done like this, from the buildings to the landscapes to the monsters to the people.
Last edited by BMJedi on 30 Jun 2010, 00:57, edited 1 time in total.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 29 Jun 2010, 21:50

BMJedi wrote:I look forward to the day when game technology can produce a game like MM6 using not only this style of portraits, but also with everything you see on screen being done like this, from the buildings to the landscapes to the monsters to the people.
*looks at Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood*

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 30 Jun 2010, 00:30

BMJedi wrote: I voted 8 for my favorite because I think he has a classic Robin Hood kind of look to him.
So true. Must be why he's always been an archer in my games. :tsup:

His voice also rules. He's quiet most of the time... but when he scores a big kill he goes YEAHH!!!!!

Return to “Might and Magic”