MM6: Favorite melee weapons to give your Druid

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

Favorite melee weapon(s) for Druid

Staff (...hey don't laugh, I vastly buffed their damage in my ITEMS.TXT)
No votes
Mace+shield
21%
Dagger+shield
14%
two daggers
50%
Mace+dagger
14%

Total votes: 14

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

MM6: Favorite melee weapons to give your Druid

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 30 Apr 2010, 17:01

Assuming you're playing with Grayface's excellent patch, which fixed dual-wielding recovery bug.

While Sorcerers usually wield two daggers (or rarely, a staff for the extra defense) and clerics should always stick to mace+shield, the druid has the many more options than the other 2 spellcasters.

Which option your favorite?

Last time I used a druid I went mace+shield but next time I'm trying Mace + Dagger (keep in mind that mace+dagger is definitely slower than 2 daggers, and eventually, less accurate than a single mace)

BTW is it me or the stun effect of maces and staves (and from the Stun spell) is unnoticeable?

Mamma Jamma
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Mamma Jamma » 30 Apr 2010, 20:11

I voted for two daggers: I just like them. They're fast and reliable. But I don't use them much anyway in MM6: I prefer Sparks... WWDW is a very powerful party in vanilla MM6!

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Re: MM6: Favorite melee weapons to give your Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 30 Apr 2010, 21:11

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:BTW is it me or the stun effect of maces and staves (and from the Stun spell) is unnoticeable?
I think the stun/paralyze is really short, and it should be too. In MM9 the stun is often long enough that you can keep any enemy, even bosses (though that's probably because of lack of time to test the game) stunlocked while you pummel them to death... That's no fun. So short stun is good.
Mamma Jamma wrote:I voted for two daggers: I just like them. They're fast and reliable. But I don't use them much anyway in MM6: I prefer Sparks... WWDW is a very powerful party in vanilla MM6!
It's a Knight, not a Warrior...

I think for Druids there's really only two choices: mace + shield or dual daggers. Staff is useless, giving less damage and armor class than mace + shield. Mace + dagger is also useless because it doesn't work, and so is dagger + shield (because dagger's only advantages compared to mace is that you can dualwield them and they're faster.. Use a shield and both those advantages are gone).
So the only logical choice is either dual daggers (offensive) or mace+shield (defensive). I choose mace + shield because I always make my casters as tough as possible, while making my melee guys do as much damage as possible. Why? Because your casters tend to take just as much damage as your melee guys while having less hit points so they get knocked out much earlier while your melee guys barely ever get in the red hit points..

Of course, if I went for flavor I'd give my druid a staff or unarmed. That's just what I imagine a Druid should be.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 30 Apr 2010, 21:14

Mace and dagger: a good damage and a chance to stun enemy.
Also, I think that two daggers is for sorc, and mace/shield is for cler.

Though, I see reasons to use single mace or dagger sometimes, without any additional weapon or shield.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 30 Apr 2010, 21:27

Dagger+shield isn't as slow as you think, once you get Expert shield, the recovery penalty is then only 5.

And most of your damage will come from heroism+might boosts, not the dagger damage itself (which is always the case with the weapon you hold in the left hand)

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 01 May 2010, 07:49

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:Dagger+shield isn't as slow as you think, once you get Expert shield, the recovery penalty is then only 5.
AFAIK, shield reduce recovery penalty by Leather Armor skill, rather than by Shield skill. So you must expertize Leather to remove this penalty.
You're not expert in any skill in the very start of the game anyway. :p

Jymbob
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jymbob » 01 May 2010, 09:22

Voted two daggers, its all about play style I guess, and about what team mates the druid got.
UndeadHalfOrc wrote: most of your damage will come from heroism+might boosts, not the dagger damage itself (which is always the case with the weapon you hold in the left hand)
Maybe thats the case in MM6, but not in MM7 where you surely get the extra dmg added to the weapon in the left hand.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Re: MM6: Favorite melee weapons to give your Druid

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 01 May 2010, 09:33

Macros the Black wrote:It's a Knight, not a Warrior...
I had the impression he meant Wizard, even though unpromoted ones are Sorcerers.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 01 May 2010, 13:31

My vote for dagger+dagger.
tolich wrote:Though, I see reasons to use single mace or dagger sometimes, without any additional weapon or shield.
Why? Do you mean the original situation with doubled recovery time? In that situation a dagger in second hand is bad for sure.
tolich wrote:AFAIK, shield reduce recovery penalty by Leather Armor skill, rather than by Shield skill. So you must expertize Leather to remove this penalty.
That's how it was before Mok's patch.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 01 May 2010, 14:38

GrayFace wrote:
tolich wrote:Though, I see reasons to use single mace or dagger sometimes, without any additional weapon or shield.
Why? Do you mean the original situation with doubled recovery time? In that situation a dagger in second hand is bad for sure.
May I ask why too. Using his patch, there is no reason at all to use one dagger with nothing in your left hand. And mace with no shield doesn't make much sense either, since a shield really doesn't slow you down much, especially with expert (5 recovery units)

Jymbob wrote:Voted two daggers, its all about play style I guess, and about what team mates the druid got.
UndeadHalfOrc wrote: most of your damage will come from heroism+might boosts, not the dagger damage itself (which is always the case with the weapon you hold in the left hand)
Maybe thats the case in MM6, but not in MM7 where you surely get the extra dmg added to the weapon in the left hand.
I did not express myself correctly. Dual Wielding works fine in both games. I meant that the added damage of the second dagger itself is pretty insignificant compared to all the damage bonuses you get from Might boosts and Heroism.

And about Shield recovery needing Shield skill: that's why I specificed in my original post, Assuming you are using Grayface's patch :)

But honestly I played the official MM6 1.2 three times and I mever even noticed a change to learning expert leather, with the armor bugs and all.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 01 May 2010, 19:37

GrayFace wrote:My vote for dagger+dagger.
tolich wrote:AFAIK, shield reduce recovery penalty by Leather Armor skill, rather than by Shield skill. So you must expertize Leather to remove this penalty.
Is there a away to turn it back? I don't think it's an error.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 01 May 2010, 20:54

tolich wrote:Is there a away to turn it back? I don't think it's an error.
I would like to see you use a Leather shield. (Except for MM3, where it's entirely possible :D )

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 01 May 2010, 22:22

GreatEmerald wrote:I would like to see you use a Leather shield.
When you boil a piece of leather from bull's shoulder in oil and vax it, it become very hard to break and inflexible. Much better than brass one.
No matter, I say about fact that Shield skill, being Exprtized or Mastered doubles or triples skill value added to AC, while wielding any shield, but reduce recovery penalty.
So Leather skill become useful not only for Sorcerers, but also for that ones who don't wear Leather at all.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 01 May 2010, 22:44

tolich wrote:
GrayFace wrote:My vote for dagger+dagger.
Is there a away to turn it back? I don't think it's an error.
Nope. To turn it back means to make Chain skill reduce Leather recovery, make Plate skill reduce Chain recovery and make Fire Magic reduce Plate recovery :D Sure, with more work it can be patched to depend on the skill, but I won't do it.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 02 May 2010, 18:40

GrayFace wrote:To turn it back means to make Chain skill reduce Leather recovery, make Plate skill reduce Chain recovery and make Fire Magic reduce Plate recovery :D
That's ludicrous! "I feel slow in my Plate Armour... I know, I'll practise Fire Magic and thus get more agile in my armour!" :D

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 02 May 2010, 19:26

Good joke! Knight and Paladins (they can only wear Plates) cannot be taught Fire Magic.
Last edited by tolich on 02 May 2010, 20:08, edited 1 time in total.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 02 May 2010, 19:56

I'll probably go for either two daggers or a dagger+shield, since I already have a mace user (paladin) and don't have a dedicated dagger user (and I want pickup efficiency).

Rune_Caster
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Rune_Caster » 30 Sep 2011, 10:10

GreatEmerald wrote:
tolich wrote:Is there a away to turn it back? I don't think it's an error.
I would like to see you use a Leather shield. (Except for MM3, where it's entirely possible :D )
Leather Dagger? - 4 Hit, 2d2 - 6 damage or wooden dagger, - 3 Hit, 2d2 - 3 either option your better to use bare fists... ouch...

I think I would only want to learn dagger as I would save my skill points for magic... lol

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 30 Sep 2011, 12:34

Another reason to go for Mace+Shield is that the Druid has enough spell points to not have to rely on melee damage much.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 30 Sep 2011, 13:23

Rune_Caster wrote:Leather Dagger? - 4 Hit, 2d2 - 6 damage or wooden dagger, - 3 Hit, 2d2 - 3 either option your better to use bare fists... ouch...
Would be hilarious if that actually healed your enemies :D

Return to “Might and Magic”