Let's Play - Might and Magic 8: Day of the Destroyer

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
DaveO
Demon
Demon

Let's Play - Might and Magic 8: Day of the Destroyer

Unread postby DaveO » 19 Apr 2010, 01:52

I take approximately forty minutes to discuss character creation, as well as stats and skills. It will be ongoing for a while, but please be aware that I tend to post updates either every week or every two weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaveCaspermeyer
I'd rather be part bull than a complete sheep.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 19 Apr 2010, 15:48

You're LPing a game where you're already a character in it? :D
Anyway, what sides are you going to take? And are you going to use dragons? There are more and more MM playthroughs there, I was planning to do quite a lot of those, but MM2 for PC is already in progress by MaxKnight and now MM8 by you :) Then again, that would mean I would concentrate more on Heroes games.

DaveO
Demon
Demon

Unread postby DaveO » 19 Apr 2010, 21:35

No dragons for my LP since I consider Dragons the newbie class. As far as sides go, I don't see a reason to not choose siding with the Dragons and the Clerics. I'll definitely pick Minotaur and Troll, but I'm thinking about Vampires and Dark Elves as the other choices. I may pick Necromancer since he'd get GM Learning and GM Meditation along with being able to make black potions.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 20 Apr 2010, 13:46

I see, so there will be Necromancers Guild alliance which I could still do, and play with dragons. Thanks.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 20 Apr 2010, 14:07

GreatEmerald wrote: MM2 for PC is already in progress by MaxKnight
That one has been on hold for quite a long while now.

And I still haven't seen a complete walkthrough of MM3 on the PC

I started watching your own MM1 PC walkthrough , Emerald, BTW :)

DaveO:
BTW, you probably know this, but just in case you forgot, the first Dark Elf available is Rohani (level 5) in alvar, available as soon as you go there (there's also getting level 50 Cauri in the unicorn woods early on, but doing that is noob-ish and breaks the game, IMHO)

Troll is a good class to start with, because it's the only class without a level 5 character availalble in the world at the start of the game.

DaveO
Demon
Demon

Unread postby DaveO » 20 Apr 2010, 16:31

RPGenie went thru MM1 to MM8 on YouTube. I checked MM3, but it's for the Super Nintendo. I'll likely do the entries of the series that I've enjoyed with MM8, MM6, Worlds of Xeen, Swords of Xeen(mainly because I don't think anybody has it for a video LP), and MM3. The earlier entries may require a different configuration or emulators to get thru. I'll think about it once I finish that major project. Hopefully, I'm still around and in good health.

P.S. - I know about the lvl 5 Dark Elf, but thanks for mentioning it. I've looked over the spells, and I'd lose Starburst if I chose Dark Elf. The only place I can think of for Starburst and Meteor Shower being useful is against the Unicorns.

P.S.S - After an additional look at the spells, I'd lose Lloyd's Beacon too. Sorry, but Necromancer is the best choice to reduce time with the travel spells.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 20 Apr 2010, 21:13

DaveO, that's the same reason why I started my playthroughs, just that I play it from oldest to newest :P And I have everything configured to optimal already.
UndeadHalfOrc, it's not that on hold, just that MaxKnight plays it when he wants and he has other playthroughs like Diablo II. So while progress is slow, it's constant.

DaveO
Demon
Demon

Unread postby DaveO » 21 Nov 2010, 15:01

I'm nearing the end of the game by going into the Elemental Planes. I botched up training after doing both the Water and Air Planes by getting up to level 80 for all characters and missing a chance for the Unicorn King. I did get the 1.2 million experience reward for making the top tier for the Bounty Quests.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 21 Nov 2010, 15:33

There's also a MM8 playthrough by Zivage going on. Have to admit, I like his playing style better...

MaxKnight
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby MaxKnight » 21 Nov 2010, 15:59

Well now I feel bad. You all mention my MM2 LP and then I had to go and cancel it due to losing progress from total HD meltdown.

Maybe one day I'll revisit it... or maybe I'll just let GreatEmerald do it since it's already planned for.

That's not to say that I've abandoned the Might and Magic series...

DaveO
Demon
Demon

Unread postby DaveO » 21 Nov 2010, 16:57

Playing style is subjective, but Zivage could have made a much better choice than selecting Knight. I prefer to do a minimal clearing of the first dungeon, so that means a class that can heal itself would be most useful. So that means choosing Cleric, Minotaur, or Troll in my opinion.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 21 Nov 2010, 22:49

Oh, that's pretty horrible... I hope you didn't lose much else there. Having a good quality HDD and a good temperature monitor helps to prevent things like that, too :)
Also, didn't know you had an account here :D

DaveO, that's the charm behind what Zivage is doing - he's playing it pretty much blind, unlike you :D

DaveO
Demon
Demon

Unread postby DaveO » 22 Nov 2010, 05:33

I just hope that he goes with not picking any dragons to recruit into his party, or using Cauri since she's easily recruitable well before any of the other characters are close to level 50.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 22 Nov 2010, 06:19

Too late, he's got a dragon :D

koval321
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby koval321 » 23 Nov 2010, 14:05

Try mm8 mod from this site: http://www.portailsmm.com/comm/downloads.html It put all peoples to tavern, so you can start game with full team. Very usefull i found it to be much better from game hiring style.

DaveO
Demon
Demon

Unread postby DaveO » 11 Dec 2010, 20:07

I checked on Zivage, but it seems that he shut down his YouTube channel. I'll definitely finish MM8, but for the other games it may take a long time due to a personal resolution to focus on obtaining a job.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 11 Dec 2010, 20:44

Oh wow, you're right... I wonder why... That's too bad since he was a really nice commentator on all games he played...

MaxKnight
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby MaxKnight » 12 Dec 2010, 05:38

That's okay; you can have my Might and Magic 6 LP in its place. >_>

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 12 Dec 2010, 09:18

Yay! :-D :D

koval321
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby koval321 » 15 Dec 2010, 15:52

Somehow this game boring me, am probably finished it only once. But it dont mean that is bad, begining is very good. Am always like around 30% of begining m&m games and then is hard for me to continue playing. Probably when have all spells its going too easy. Or i have many new levels but i dont go to training, dont like respawn and kill all again. Training take some time in game.

Return to “Might and Magic”