To finish MM6 in less than a week

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
AndyNZ
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 25
Joined: 18 Feb 2008

To finish MM6 in less than a week

Postby AndyNZ » Apr 6 2010, 12:27

I just finished MM6 by Sunday, 6th Jan - 11am (game time).
That meant the game said I took 6 days.
I am trying it again to see if I can finish before 6am Sunday, which I think is the time when a new day gets added to the time taken (but it may be 9am. ...I don't think it's midnight, is it?)

Five game days have to be used to travel to Kriegspire, Darkmoor, Eel Infested Waters, Hermit's Isle and Sweet Water. The other towns can be got to by Gatemasters and Castle Ironfist by the teleporter in the White Cap Shadow Guild. That means all the action has to be done in less than 24 hours of game time. There are short-cuts for almost all the quests but VARN is the most time consuming by far! It takes about 4 hours of game time!

Does anyone know a faster way to do VARN (without cheating, of course)?

User avatar
Variol
Pit Lord
Pit Lord
Posts: 1249
Joined: 05 Sep 2008

Postby Variol » Apr 6 2010, 13:32

Can you post your score in the winning certificate thread?

User avatar
arturchix
Titan
Titan
Posts: 1352
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: Latvia

Postby arturchix » Apr 6 2010, 14:24

The record is 5 days IIRC. Meaning, you finish before 9 am and it doesn't count as a day.

User avatar
AndyNZ
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 25
Joined: 18 Feb 2008

Postby AndyNZ » Apr 6 2010, 14:26

Ah, thanks. ...9am. That should be easy enough. :)

Winning certificate thread?
My score was 939,676 ...but I hope to get over 1,000,000 on the game I am playing now.

Here's the certificate...
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/9170/mm6win6days.jpg

This time my party is K/K/D/D
...Druids get a lot more magic points than Sorcerers!

User avatar
arturchix
Titan
Titan
Posts: 1352
Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Location: Latvia

Postby arturchix » Apr 6 2010, 14:47

At least I think it was 9 am... someone correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, well done!

User avatar
AndyNZ
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 25
Joined: 18 Feb 2008

Postby AndyNZ » Apr 6 2010, 15:04

Thanks! I will still aim for 6am finish anyway, just in case...

My best short-cut (that I discovered myself) is in the Supreme Temple of Baa on Hermit's Isle...
If you go in and around to the left where the window is overlooking the bridges - jump through the window and stay close to the wall... You land right next to where the Memory Crystal is! :)

User avatar
Macros the Black
Druid
Druid
Posts: 870
Joined: 21 May 2008
Location: Behind you, casting Shrapmetal!

Postby Macros the Black » Apr 6 2010, 15:56

AndyNZ wrote:Here's the certificate...
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/9170/mm6win6days.jpg

How is it that one of them is level 2 without training?

Good job btw. Maybe I should give these speed run things a try someday...
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

User avatar
tolich
Spectre
Spectre
Posts: 746
Joined: 10 Jan 2009
Location: Minsk, Belarus

Postby tolich » Apr 6 2010, 16:32

Level 11. :)

User avatar
AndyNZ
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 25
Joined: 18 Feb 2008

Postby AndyNZ » Apr 7 2010, 0:25

Macros the Black wrote:How is it that one of them is level 2 without training?

Good job btw. Maybe I should give these speed run things a try someday...

Yes, level 11. I found two items that give +5 level for the person wearing them. :)

User avatar
AndyNZ
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 25
Joined: 18 Feb 2008

Postby AndyNZ » Apr 9 2010, 10:17

In my current game I am doing much better! I am now in the Control Center and it is only 9:24pm, Friday 5th January.

I also think I have found a short-cut for VARN, but too late to use it for this game - I haven't fully tested it yet.
You would need to know the Telekinesis spell...
If you follow the path under the central room, after passing the chest with the Water Temple key you come to a barrier blocking entry to the control room that has the chest with the cube. You can't jump over it ...at least not until the switch that opens the door on the other side is pressed..!
Use Telekinesis on the switch (the doorstep) and it lowers the barrier just enough to jump over it (with the Jump spell).
That can save you at least 2 hours!

Edit: OK, I tried it with an old save game I had, but unfortunately it seems Telekinesis will not open that door - even at Master level 12.

Edit 2: I guess you would need the VARN chest key anyway... oh well, that's that plan scuttled.

User avatar
AndyNZ
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 25
Joined: 18 Feb 2008

Postby AndyNZ » Apr 9 2010, 16:06

Finished again - by 11:43pm, Saturday 6th January! Score 1,153,831

Image

User avatar
Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight
Posts: 1548
Joined: 23 Nov 2005
Location: Chicago, IL

Postby Kristo » Apr 9 2010, 16:55

So can you post a diary of how you did it? I'm sure everyone would enjoy the read. Is it possible without using the NWC dungeon?
Peace. Love. Penguin.

User avatar
AndyNZ
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 25
Joined: 18 Feb 2008

Postby AndyNZ » Apr 9 2010, 17:08

Kristo wrote:So can you post a diary of how you did it? I'm sure everyone would enjoy the read. Is it possible without using the NWC dungeon?

Yes, I can post a diary. I planned it out as best I could before I started playing but had to make a few small changes as I went for various reasons.
It *would* be possible without the NWC dungeon, but harder obviously. (I may try that next!) The best part of playing the game this way, IMO, is working out how to solve all the difficult challenges.
This is how I did it...

(DON'T READ ON IF YOU WANT TO WORK IT OUT FOR YOURSELF)

Might and Magic VI - Mandate of Heaven - Walkthrough for fastest time (5 days)
Party: Knight/Knight/Druid/Druid all max endurance, max intellect and personality for Druids.

Monday

- New Sorpigal. 9:00am. Inn, get 1000 gold, Bank gold. Fly scroll from side of Bank, Fly. Teleport to Dragonsand, Shrine of the Gods, 10,000 gold from chest, "buy" lots of potions and mix blacks, keep lots of blues, 256 temp bonus to stats, back to New Sorpigal. Withdraw gold. Get horseshoes. Raise health and spell points at fountains, hire Gatemaster. Get horseshoes from volcano.
- Gate to Free Haven. 9:30am. Dismiss Gatemaster. Join Air, Water and Fire guilds. Get North horseshoes. Hire Carpenter/Stonecutter for temple. Expert Water. Hire Duper/Merchant, Buy Lloyd's Beacon (2), Town Portal and Enchant Item spell-books. Go Gatemaster's house. Set Beacon 1. Dismiss Merchant. Hire Gatemaster.
- Gate to Blackshire. Dismiss Gatemaster. Set Beacon 2. Bank all gold except 2000. Hire Gatemaster. Gate to New Sorpigal. Dismiss Gatemaster. Teleport to Dragonsand. get 10,000 gold. Set Beacon 3. Beacon to Blackshire and back, banking gold. When spell points are low, go to Blackshire fountain for more. When over 50,000 gold beacon to Free Haven.
- Gate to Silver Cove. Dismiss Gatemaster. Go to castle. Get quest to Fix Prices at All Nine Stables. (New Sorpigal, Castle Ironfist, Darkmoor, two in Free Haven, Silver Cove, White Cap, Blackshire, and Kriegspire.) Get horseshoes and Fix Prices. Beacon to Free Haven. Hire Gatemaster. 2nd Water expert. Go to Sir Osric Temper (South). Set Beacon 4. Get quest to Destroy the Devils' Outpost (Kriegspire) and Knight promotion quest. Beacon to North Free Haven. Get Knight Nomination. Beacon back to South Free Haven - Knight promotion done!
- Gate to White Cap. Dismiss Gatemaster. Magic shop. Get horseshoes and Fix Prices. Fly to Lord Erik. Get quest to End Winter. Set Beacon 5. Fly over mountains to Anthony Stone. Set Beacon 6. Get quest to arrest the Prince of Thieves. Cleric promotion done! Beacon to Free Haven. Go sewer via wharf and arrest the Prince of Thieves. Beacon back to Anthony Stone in White Cap. Fly to Shadow Guild. Get to teleporter.
- Teleport to Castle Ironfist (East = Shadow Guild Hideout). Fly to Castle. Set Beacon 6. Get 5000 gold and quest to recover Lord Kilburn's Shield. Get horseshoes. Fix Prices. Beacon to Blackshire. Fix Prices. Luck well. Get Lord Kilburn's Shield from chest and get other two chests. Gate to New Sorpigal. Dismiss Gatemaster. Expert Air. Hire Pathfinder/Explorer. Fix prices at stable. Teleport to Dragonsand. Fly East to border.

Tuesday

- Arrive at Darkmoor. Cast Fly. Fix prices at stable. Set Beacon 2 at quest house. Get Horseshoes. Go chest. Beacon to North Free Haven. Fix Prices at North stable. Hire Horseman. South Free Haven stable - Fix Prices and travel to Kriegspire.

Wednesday

- Arrive in Kriegspire. Fix Prices. Level up at well. Set Beacon 1. Fly to mountain top to End Winter. Destroy the Devils' Outpost. (Get "plans" from Devil Leader there.) Beacon to Lord Erik in White Cap - quest done! Beacon to Sir Osric Temper in South Free Haven - Quests done! Town Portal to Free Haven North to get Gatemaster. Set Beacon 4. Gate to Silver Cove. Set Beacon 5. "Fix Prices" quest done! Beacon to Free Haven. Hire Gatemaster. Beacon to NWC (Stats up).
- Gate to Mist. Go to Lord Newton. Set Beacon 4. Get quest to Find and return the Hourglass of Time. Town Portal back to Mist town. Get key from other castle (for Gharik's Forge). Gate back to Mist town. Council quest there done. Beacon over to Lord Newton. Beacon to Silver Cove. Take boat to Eel Infested Waters.

Thursday

- Arrive at Eel Infested Waters. Set Beacon 5 at Magic shop. Beacon to NWC (Stats up). Beacon to Kriegspire. Level up at well. Go Castle (via +30 armour fountain). Get horseshoes and Memory Crystal. Gate to New Sorpigal. Gharik's Forge for Hourglass. Beacon back to Lord Newton in Mist - quest done! Gate to Council in Free Haven. Set Beacon 4. Beacon to Castle Ironfist. Get Baa cloak. Beacon to Eel Infested Waters. Get memory crystal from Castle Alamos. Beacon to Kriegspire. Fountain for +10 magic resist. Egg quest done. Go North to Superior temple of Baa. Get both keys and then letter from chest. Beacon to Castle Ironfist. (Re-set Beacon there.) Beacon to Darkmoor. Get memory crystal from castle. Book of Lieches quest done. Hire Pathfinder/Explorer. Beacon to Dragonsand. Fly West.

Friday

- Arrive at Hermit's Isle - Get memory crystal Alpha from the Supreme Temple of Baa. Beacon to Council in Free Haven. Entry to Oracle. Place all four crystals. Talk to Oracle. Set Beacon 4. (6:35pm) Beacon to Dragonsand. Fly to Varn (pyramid). Get control cube. Beacon back to Oracle to get access to the Control Center. (9:24pm) Get 4 blasters (3 small and one large). Hire Pathfinder/Explorer. Beacon to Kriegspire OR Gate to Blackshire. Fly/walk to Sweet Water.

Saturday

- Arrive at Sweet Water. Fountain for Stats+50. Set beacon here. Beacon to Kriegspire. Level up at well. Beacon back to Sweet Water/The Hive...

User avatar
tolich
Spectre
Spectre
Posts: 746
Joined: 10 Jan 2009
Location: Minsk, Belarus

Postby tolich » Apr 9 2010, 18:22

Just to compare.
In Russian

User avatar
AndyNZ
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 25
Joined: 18 Feb 2008

Postby AndyNZ » Apr 9 2010, 18:57

tolich wrote:Just to compare.
In Russian

They finished at 8:37am, Sunday 7th Jan, I see.
At least that confirms that a day lasts until 9:00am. That's good to know. :)

User avatar
AndyNZ
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 25
Joined: 18 Feb 2008

Postby AndyNZ » Apr 11 2010, 23:22

Kristo wrote:Is it possible without using the NWC dungeon?

I'm playing a game without using the NWC dungeon at all and so far it is not difficult...
I spent an extra hour in New Sorpigal at the start raiding all the outdoor chests and doing two of the quests. I then had over 10,000 gold.
I raised some Luck stats (to 16) at the well in New Sorpigal. When I got to Free Haven I was able to raise Might stats, and in Silver Cove I could raise Accuracy and Speed stats at the wells/fountains there.

In the sewer in Free Haven you can get a few thousand gold where you get the treasure room key, and in that room I got a cloak with +24 hit points! (Note: That is random treasure there, so don't expect to find that yourself, but you should always find some good stuff in that room!)

Xiaoyazhi
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 3
Joined: 08 Mar 2012

Postby Xiaoyazhi » Mar 8 2012, 11:51

AndyNZ wrote:
Kristo wrote:So can you post a diary of how you did it? I'm sure everyone would enjoy the read. Is it possible without using the NWC dungeon?

Yes, I can post a diary. I planned it out as best I could before I started playing but had to make a few small changes as I went for various reasons.
It *would* be possible without the NWC dungeon, but harder obviously. (I may try that next!) The best part of playing the game this way, IMO, is working out how to solve all the difficult challenges.
This is how I did it...

(DON'T READ ON IF YOU WANT TO WORK IT OUT FOR YOURSELF)

Might and Magic VI - Mandate of Heaven - Walkthrough for fastest time (5 days)
Party: Knight/Knight/Druid/Druid all max endurance, max intellect and personality for Druids.

Monday

- New Sorpigal. 9:00am. Inn, get 1000 gold, Bank gold. Fly scroll from side of Bank, Fly. Teleport to Dragonsand, Shrine of the Gods, 10,000 gold from chest, "buy" lots of potions and mix blacks, keep lots of blues, 256 temp bonus to stats, back to New Sorpigal. Withdraw gold. Get horseshoes. Raise health and spell points at fountains, hire Gatemaster. Get horseshoes from volcano.
- Gate to Free Haven. 9:30am. Dismiss Gatemaster. Join Air, Water and Fire guilds. Get North horseshoes. Hire Carpenter/Stonecutter for temple. Expert Water. Hire Duper/Merchant, Buy Lloyd's Beacon (2), Town Portal and Enchant Item spell-books. Go Gatemaster's house. Set Beacon 1. Dismiss Merchant. Hire Gatemaster.
- Gate to Blackshire. Dismiss Gatemaster. Set Beacon 2. Bank all gold except 2000. Hire Gatemaster. Gate to New Sorpigal. Dismiss Gatemaster. Teleport to Dragonsand. get 10,000 gold. Set Beacon 3. Beacon to Blackshire and back, banking gold. When spell points are low, go to Blackshire fountain for more. When over 50,000 gold beacon to Free Haven.
- Gate to Silver Cove. Dismiss Gatemaster. Go to castle. Get quest to Fix Prices at All Nine Stables. (New Sorpigal, Castle Ironfist, Darkmoor, two in Free Haven, Silver Cove, White Cap, Blackshire, and Kriegspire.) Get horseshoes and Fix Prices. Beacon to Free Haven. Hire Gatemaster. 2nd Water expert. Go to Sir Osric Temper (South). Set Beacon 4. Get quest to Destroy the Devils' Outpost (Kriegspire) and Knight promotion quest. Beacon to North Free Haven. Get Knight Nomination. Beacon back to South Free Haven - Knight promotion done!
- Gate to White Cap. Dismiss Gatemaster. Magic shop. Get horseshoes and Fix Prices. Fly to Lord Erik. Get quest to End Winter. Set Beacon 5. Fly over mountains to Anthony Stone. Set Beacon 6. Get quest to arrest the Prince of Thieves. Cleric promotion done! Beacon to Free Haven. Go sewer via wharf and arrest the Prince of Thieves. Beacon back to Anthony Stone in White Cap. Fly to Shadow Guild. Get to teleporter.
- Teleport to Castle Ironfist (East = Shadow Guild Hideout). Fly to Castle. Set Beacon 6. Get 5000 gold and quest to recover Lord Kilburn's Shield. Get horseshoes. Fix Prices. Beacon to Blackshire. Fix Prices. Luck well. Get Lord Kilburn's Shield from chest and get other two chests. Gate to New Sorpigal. Dismiss Gatemaster. Expert Air. Hire Pathfinder/Explorer. Fix prices at stable. Teleport to Dragonsand. Fly East to border.

Tuesday

- Arrive at Darkmoor. Cast Fly. Fix prices at stable. Set Beacon 2 at quest house. Get Horseshoes. Go chest. Beacon to North Free Haven. Fix Prices at North stable. Hire Horseman. South Free Haven stable - Fix Prices and travel to Kriegspire.

Wednesday

- Arrive in Kriegspire. Fix Prices. Level up at well. Set Beacon 1. Fly to mountain top to End Winter. Destroy the Devils' Outpost. (Get "plans" from Devil Leader there.) Beacon to Lord Erik in White Cap - quest done! Beacon to Sir Osric Temper in South Free Haven - Quests done! Town Portal to Free Haven North to get Gatemaster. Set Beacon 4. Gate to Silver Cove. Set Beacon 5. "Fix Prices" quest done! Beacon to Free Haven. Hire Gatemaster. Beacon to NWC (Stats up).
- Gate to Mist. Go to Lord Newton. Set Beacon 4. Get quest to Find and return the Hourglass of Time. Town Portal back to Mist town. Get key from other castle (for Gharik's Forge). Gate back to Mist town. Council quest there done. Beacon over to Lord Newton. Beacon to Silver Cove. Take boat to Eel Infested Waters.

Thursday

- Arrive at Eel Infested Waters. Set Beacon 5 at Magic shop. Beacon to NWC (Stats up). Beacon to Kriegspire. Level up at well. Go Castle (via +30 armour fountain). Get horseshoes and Memory Crystal. Gate to New Sorpigal. Gharik's Forge for Hourglass. Beacon back to Lord Newton in Mist - quest done! Gate to Council in Free Haven. Set Beacon 4. Beacon to Castle Ironfist. Get Baa cloak. Beacon to Eel Infested Waters. Get memory crystal from Castle Alamos. Beacon to Kriegspire. Fountain for +10 magic resist. Egg quest done. Go North to Superior temple of Baa. Get both keys and then letter from chest. Beacon to Castle Ironfist. (Re-set Beacon there.) Beacon to Darkmoor. Get memory crystal from castle. Book of Lieches quest done. Hire Pathfinder/Explorer. Beacon to Dragonsand. Fly West.

Friday

- Arrive at Hermit's Isle - Get memory crystal Alpha from the Supreme Temple of Baa. Beacon to Council in Free Haven. Entry to Oracle. Place all four crystals. Talk to Oracle. Set Beacon 4. (6:35pm) Beacon to Dragonsand. Fly to Varn (pyramid). Get control cube. Beacon back to Oracle to get access to the Control Center. (9:24pm) Get 4 blasters (3 small and one large). Hire Pathfinder/Explorer. Beacon to Kriegspire OR Gate to Blackshire. Fly/walk to Sweet Water.

Saturday

- Arrive at Sweet Water. Fountain for Stats+50. Set beacon here. Beacon to Kriegspire. Level up at well. Beacon back to Sweet Water/The Hive...


Hmmm... your plan is very sound. Wondering how can I implement it into my live timing speedrun.

*headache!*

User avatar
Mn
Scout
Scout
Posts: 179
Joined: 22 Jun 2009
Location: Moscow, Russia

Postby Mn » Mar 12 2012, 9:47

MM6 5-days Travel was published by any girl from Holland 4-5 (or even more) years ago, with many screenshots and (not very detail, but readeable) wolkthrough. I printed in color her work, she is the really the first mm6 champion. Many Russian gamers (I'm not, my record is 11 days and I don't want to clone anything was done) repeated her result and fixed their detail walkthroughs in "Hall of Fame" page in crpg.ru site (not esist now, I think). Sorry, I have not any references now, but I can see my home paper archieves.
Sorry of my English.

Xiaoyazhi
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 3
Joined: 08 Mar 2012

Postby Xiaoyazhi » Mar 12 2012, 11:43

Mn wrote:MM6 5-days Travel was published by any girl from Holland 4-5 (or even more) years ago, with many screenshots and (not very detail, but readeable) wolkthrough. I printed in color her work, she is the really the first mm6 champion. Many Russian gamers (I'm not, my record is 11 days and I don't want to clone anything was done) repeated her result and fixed their detail walkthroughs in "Hall of Fame" page in crpg.ru site (not esist now, I think). Sorry, I have not any references now, but I can see my home paper archieves.
Sorry of my English.


Yup I remember seeing her work somewhere. The whole site and the .pdf too.

But there is actually someone else who won the game in 5 days, back in 1999. Named himself "MM6 Grandmaster". Saw his tips and tricks; which included the 9am issue + how to raise stats very quickly + which are the key quests and beacons to set + what party make up to use. He did not post his full walkthrough.

So yup. Unofficially IMO, this guy is the 1st. But officially IMO too yes, this lady got it.

User avatar
GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 1556
Joined: 29 Nov 2005

Postby GrayFace » Mar 16 2012, 6:28

AndyNZ wrote:Fly scroll from side of Bank, Fly. Teleport to Dragonsand

You don't need to use the scroll to teleport to Dragonsand :)
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.


Return to “Might and Magic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 18 guests