MM7 Party for newbie

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
FunyRoger
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

MM7 Party for newbie

Unread postby FunyRoger » 21 Mar 2010, 12:54

Hello!

I have completed MM8 (long time ago, and probably will try it again after MM7), but never tried MM7. So yesterday i got the copy of game , put on GrayFace patch, and tested if it works with W7. It did , so its time to play!

However i cant decide which party to make. 2 spots are clear for me : Sorcerer and Cleric. The last two i really cant decide between knight/paladin , archer/thief. So please help me to choose between those classes (which is more fun to play, which are easier or harder to play etc), or maybe suggest something else :) (ranger seems pretty useless to me, but maybe im wrong)

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 21 Mar 2010, 13:58

The default party is the best for a newbie/casual player. Knight will be your tank, thief will disarm chests, cleric for protection magic and sorcerer for offensive/transport magic.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 21 Mar 2010, 14:11

arturchix wrote:The default party is the best for a newbie/casual player. Knight will be your tank, thief will disarm chests, cleric for protection magic and sorcerer for offensive/transport magic.
You could replace the Knight with a Paladin though, won't make much difference in how long he can survive and you'll get an extra healer. Not saying it's better, but it's an option.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

Jymbob
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jymbob » 21 Mar 2010, 14:52

arturchix wrote:The default party is the best for a newbie/casual player. Knight will be your tank, thief will disarm chests, cleric for protection magic and sorcerer for offensive/transport magic.
So true, prolly the easiest combo there is.
Palladin shine with their divine magic, but when you already got the GM in that, they are just too slow compared to the Knight IMO.
Kinda the same with archers, decend warriors but good at arcane magic, but you already got a even better arcane caster, so..
You could play with two thiefs though, the thing that really make the Knight more powerfull in dealing damage (GM in Armsmaster) compared to a thief, comes so late in the game you can do without it.

Mn
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mn » 22 Mar 2010, 11:46

The best party for quick development, promoutions and fastest completing the game is (imho) Cle-Thi-Mag-Mag. This party allow you to complete all MM7 (with completing ALL quests) without trainings, at first level only. The only change is mage-> druid, but it seems more difficult for me, Default group is not optimal, but playable.
Only IMHO, MM7 game is more oriented to playing with magic classes plus thief, than MM6 - there archers are the best and you can easy play without any mage or cleric (Dark/Light magic schools in both original games are no extremely needed).

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 23 Mar 2010, 10:38

Default party is quite optimal for starting, and even more to think its pretty much almost best team. Only thing you can consider switching is knight, he dont have much special skills and you can replace him with archer/paladin/monk or whatever suits your needs. Rest 3 each have unique skills that really is must have specially for 1st time game, unless you want to get yourself into deep frustration due to lack of them.

TheCoolinator
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby TheCoolinator » 23 Mar 2010, 14:01

This summed it up perfectly but as MacrosTheBlack said you can replace the Knight with a Paladin for a different feel.

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 23 Mar 2010, 16:34

But the Paladin is weak though, You can take 2 knights a cleric and a sorceror, thats diffently the easiest. But the starting party is really good too, since a high level thief is extremly strong. Same to the knight when he has 2 blades, (thief gets 2 daggers, alot faster attack rate). Sorceror choose dark, Shrap metal (one word: DAMN) otherwise GM Sparks and take Light for good buffs.
Last edited by Sure Valla on 18 Apr 2013, 14:09, edited 2 times in total.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 23 Mar 2010, 17:22

Cant really agree on paladin weakness.
1st they have unique ability to get GM mace that can paralyze light magic immune monsters.
2. They have initial value for dark/light magic that is enough to get some of strongest spells in stock(paralysis, reanimate)
3) Not bad values for healing.
Only downside is inability to master plate that screws up recovery rate.

TheCoolinator
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby TheCoolinator » 23 Mar 2010, 17:28

tress wrote: Only downside is inability to master plate that screws up recovery rate.
Doesn't casting Haste completely negate the whole recovery time thing?

Jymbob
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jymbob » 24 Mar 2010, 07:47

TheCoolinator wrote:
tress wrote: Only downside is inability to master plate that screws up recovery rate.
No, Haste will lower the recovery time for weapons with 30 I think,
see this link for further knowledge on recovery:
viewtopic.php?t=9948

Since I dont use blasters, I still like daggers the best (unless its for a Knight), and the only weapon-enchantment I prefer over a "swift" weapon is the "of the dragon"...(well, unless I'm down to 30 in recovery-time anyway)

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 24 Mar 2010, 10:53

TheCoolinator wrote:
Assuming both are wielding a sword in their left hand, their initial recovery time is 90 for sword + 30 for plate (right hand weapon - spear/mace - doesn't matter for recovery time calculation). Knight masters plate, so only 90 for him while the paladin has 120. It is interesting to note that the Knight and Paladin would both be faster if they would use a shield instead of a sword, but the difference is only 10 so it's still kinda useless.
Now, let's assume both have about 150 speed which they'd normally have at about the time you are done drinking all the black potions.. This means recovery time -13 (really, that doesn't make alot of difference..). So now it's 77 for Knight and 107 for Paladin.
Lastly, if we assume that the Paladin has 4 points in Armsmaster (since he can expert it) and the Knight has 10 points in it and will only start spending more than that really late into the game where it won't matter anymore.. That's -4 recovery time for the Paladin and -20 for the Knight (GM Armsmaster doubles the bonus), so now it's 57 versus 77.

Casting Haste at this point gives the Knight 27 recovery time, which is below the treshold, so his recovery time will be the minimum of 30 and there won't be any way to ever make him faster than that. The Paladin gets 47 recovery time when you cast haste, which is also pretty close.

What this means is that you will want to have your Paladin use any swords with "Swift" (-20 RT) or "Haste" (-25 RT) and his recovery time will also be 30, while the Knight will hit this treshold just with his skills and statistics and won't need the enchantment.

So casting Haste doesn't actually negate the differences in their recovery time. Equipping a "Swift" sword with your Paladin does, however.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 24 Mar 2010, 12:49

Macros the Black wrote:Knight masters plate, so only 90 for him while the paladin has 120.
Probably less than 120. Experts of Plate reduce recovery time, probably by skill value. So for M15 the total would be 105.
Macros the Black wrote:If we assume that the Paladin has 4 points in Armsmaster (since he can expert it)
The possibility of Paladin to be granted Expert of Armsmaster does not lead to fact he is E4. He may be E25, N25, N4 or N1, or even not obtained this skill ever.

Even more, he just can gain Master level of Chain Armor. The difference in AC is not so big. (A physical damage would not be halved though, as for Plates.)

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 25 Mar 2010, 16:30

tolich wrote:
Macros the Black wrote:Knight masters plate, so only 90 for him while the paladin has 120.
Probably less than 120. Experts of Plate reduce recovery time, probably by skill value. So for M15 the total would be 105.
Yep, apparently expert has halved recovery time, so at E4 it is already only 105. Which means -15 to the recovery time for the Paladin, which lands him on 32 in the end without a Swift weapon.. E.g. Neither the Knight nor the Paladin needs Swift weapons to reach (almost) their minimum recovery time.
The possibility of Paladin to be granted Expert of Armsmaster does not lead to fact he is E4. He may be E25, N25, N4 or N1, or even not obtained this skill ever.

Even more, he just can gain Master level of Chain Armor. The difference in AC is not so big. (A physical damage would not be halved though, as for Plates.)
That's why I said "if we assume". It is a very logical assumption though, because it's harldy worth it to put more points into Armsmaster when you can only expert it, or to go with chain armor when you can wear plate (especially now that we know he can reach his fastest recovery time while wearing plate armor).

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 25 Mar 2010, 20:44

Macros the Black wrote:it's hardly worth it to put more points into Armsmaster when you can only expert it.
E.g., to raise Attack secondary skill with any melee weapon.

Return to “Might and Magic”