Might and Magic Fan!

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 21 Mar 2010, 19:03

Half assed computers without installing stuff. Just put the game in and it works :P!
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 21 Mar 2010, 23:04

Not that there weren't PC games like that. I have UT2004 demo written onto a CD with a custom Autorun.inf which does just that - insert the CD and play.

TheCoolinator
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby TheCoolinator » 22 Mar 2010, 17:30

I think an upgraded M&M for consoles and PC's would work but is UbiSoft willing to take the chance? I don't think they are even with the success of HOMM5.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 23 Mar 2010, 16:52

Its bit sad that most fan made projects go down, sadly that's how it is, far from every mod that has solid tools make it to release, not to mention game from scratch.
Some questions about MMT project if someone here can answer.
How many engine switches it had undergone? I know that initially it had some sort of 3d/2d sprite engine made by person who started project. But after he left, how many engine switches it had. Recently i saw XNA3 based MMT engine trailer on youtube, so just curious what is MMT current look, and how many engine switches it went through, since official site don't really have much news :( .

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 23 Mar 2010, 17:12

Oren Yona's engine (handmade for the project) was most recently used. They are contemplating switching to Unreal because of its support, but sadly there are few regular visitors to offer input.

It's pretty disheartening, the amount of talented people there that simply didn't use their skills. About three development teams could probably have been made from all the volunteers, if it were commercial.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 23 Mar 2010, 20:38

Oren Yona is now with MMTNO, so the MMT is dead again.
Talin_Trollbane wrote:on console? Might and Magic FPV RPG?? either you are on some heavy drugs or dont know any modern day consolers.

RPG's like Demons Soul work on console, but Might and Magic? maybe back in the SNES and NES era it worked fine, but on PS3 and Xbox 360? no.
Consoles are rear here in Russia, so I can't say anything about consolers from my own experience, but consoles control a huge share of market, so there must be consolers interested in good games. As well as Marcos, I was thinking about controls in the first place. I still wonder how they play 3D actions on consoles.
UndeadHalfOrc wrote:Speaking about controls... why isn't the mouse part of STANDARD ACCESSORY for consoles yet???
+1 It's hard for me to think of any reasonable explanation. But it's good. It gives PCs another advantage.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 23 Mar 2010, 22:14

I still wonder how they play 3D actions on consoles.
Most action games there have auto aim or lock-on. Hence why you don't see both PC and console gamers playing on the same server - technically it's possible, but it's not fair for those who use consoles.
GrayFace wrote:+1 It's hard for me to think of any reasonable explanation. But it's good. It gives PCs another advantage.
Indeed, I don't play emulated games for controls as well. Why do you have to press a combination of 8 keys just to push a button which you could do with a single click of a mouse?
At least modern consoles have something more interesting than standard controllers, although the Wiimote Contwol still looks impractical to me. Touchscreens are something I do appreciate, though, but right now they're only on things like iPhones, and still a mouse is somewhat better with responsiveness.

UndeadHalfOrc
Titan
Titan

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 24 Mar 2010, 00:02

I should mention that the Nintendo DS did this right. The touchscreen REALLY rocks. I really could see a traditional RPG like M&M on that console.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 24 Mar 2010, 00:12

GreatEmerald wrote:
I still wonder how they play 3D actions on consoles.
Most action games there have auto aim or lock-on. Hence why you don't see both PC and console gamers playing on the same server - technically it's possible, but it's not fair for those who use consoles.
Both have it's advantages though. It took ages for me to get used to the auto lock on in consoles, I'd zoom in, then move slightly because I knew the enemy was a bit to the right of my cursor - however, the auto lock on moved my cursor right on top of the enemy when I zoomed in and now I'm slight to the right of him. Actually this still occasionally happens to me, it can be quite annoying. But when you're used to it it's faster than mouse aiming, however it's annoying when you lock on to the wrong target automatically, and also a mouse can make the big 180 degrees turns faster. Or if an enemy is strafing past you, on the default setting for a console controller's sensitivity you will not be able to catch up with the enemy with your aiming. You have to set it to highest sensitivity AND fire without zooming in with your weapon (e.g. firing from the hip).
So definately quite some differences there. I think it's slightly in the advantage of the PC gamer so yeah it would be unfair to pit them against each other.

As for using a mouse on a console, well you can plug a controller into a pc so I don't see why not. I'd expect Microsoft to allow this but no... And even if they would let you use a mouse, of course you'd have to buy a special console-only mouse and they won't allow you to plug in your regular one (greedy bastards).

What I'm really missing on consoles is a keyboard though.. RTS games are impossible on consoles because of a lack of keyboard hotkeys.
There are smaller keyboard thingies you can attach to your controller, however, these make messages your friends or naming your characters and stuff like that alot less cumbersome. Imo if they would let these things come standard with any RTS console game and have controls function with them in-game so you can assign hotkeys and anything else you can only do on the PC now, console RTS games would be alot more playable.
Unless of course they went the voice-control way, that's fine by me too.

And lastly, there are plenty of RPG gamers on consoles. Maybe the type of RPGs are a bit more centered around action oriented combat, doging and such, but hey that's a part of Might and Magic too if you're playing in realtime mode. And I think they'd have to amp up this part of the game a bit anyway (hopefully without destroying that which makes Might and Magic Might and Magic) to make it economically viable to make a new MM.

I think it would be best if a new Might and Magic was made by a company like Katauri Interactive, in cooperation with Ubisoft (since they'd never give away the rights to the series). Just a small company of very dedicated people who know what makes a game work and what doesn't. Bigger companies tend not to take risks like this, or if they do they rework the games until they loose all sense of uniqueness (e.g. Heroes 5 imo).
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 24 Mar 2010, 15:34

Macros the Black wrote:Unless of course they went the voice-control way, that's fine by me too.
Indeed, it's getting more and more possible these days. Seeing how YouTube automatic transcription works, I think that this shows a lot of promise. It's still not perfect, but for some commands it is still enough. Soon we'll use computers like in Star Trek :D

But of course, you can't shoot with voice, at least not precisely :D

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 24 Mar 2010, 17:12

heh, why am i even surprised?

people need to learn if they start a rework project that either you give it 100% everyday or dont do it at all.

and if you dont have atleast beta by the end of the second year you should consider the project failed.

just look at Duke Nukem Forever.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

TheCoolinator
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby TheCoolinator » 24 Mar 2010, 17:32

Talin_Trollbane wrote: just look at Duke Nukem Forever.
I cringed whenever someone says that name......brrrrr :mad:

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 25 Mar 2010, 03:37

GreatEmerald wrote:But of course, you can't shoot with voice, at least not precisely :D
Fire! :D
Talin_Trollbane wrote:people need to learn if they start a rework project that either you give it 100% everyday or dont do it at all.
It's impossible to expect 100% everyday for a non-commercial project.
Talin_Trollbane wrote:and if you dont have atleast beta by the end of the second year you should consider the project failed.
Beta is like 'almost done' stage. For a fan-made project of such scale it I doubt it's possible to get to Beta in two years.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 25 Mar 2010, 11:42

Talin_Trollbane wrote:
and if you dont have atleast beta by the end of the second year you should consider the project failed.
A non-commercial fun project cannot fail. Even if will never be ready.
Cause it's a fun project, and even the try is a unique experience and
we should be thankful for the time they spent(no matter how much was)
for the try to offer and share.
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 25 Mar 2010, 11:50

after all the 20+ fan projects ive waited for (and even worked for) i never felt any fun at all after they had collapsed.

frustration? yes.

anger? kinda.

fun? no.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 25 Mar 2010, 13:52

GrayFace wrote:Beta is like 'almost done' stage. For a fan-made project of such scale it I doubt it's possible to get to Beta in two years.
No, beta is officially a public release that is not in a finished state. The 'almost done' stage is a Release Candidate.
Talin_Trollbane wrote:after all the 20+ fan projects ive waited for (and even worked for) i never felt any fun at all after they had collapsed.

frustration? yes.

anger? kinda.

fun? no.
Lord13 was talking about the time before they collapsed ;)

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 27 Mar 2010, 11:35

GreatEmerald wrote:No, beta is officially a public release that is not in a finished state. The 'almost done' stage is a Release Candidate.
It depends on what you call 'almost done' :) Beta is usually feature-complete or almost feature-complete.

Return to “Might and Magic”