Might and Magic Fan!

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
TheCoolinator
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Might and Magic Fan!

Unread postby TheCoolinator » 18 Mar 2010, 17:17

Hi all,

I'm new here. Just wanted to know if anyone has current information on the Might & Magic Tribute game that's being independently developed and if UBISOFT will be creating a non-Heroes of Might and Magic game similar to the old Might and Magics.

Thanks....and thanks again for allowing me join! :)

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 18 Mar 2010, 18:35

I think it's safe to say that the project which started back in 2003 (!) is dead though it's unlikely that the project leader Ribannah will ever confirm it. It's really sad as quite a lot of dedicated fans including me put into it a lot of energy that will go wasted.

AFAIK Ubisoft has no plans to work on a new M&M RPG game - probably mostly because of technical difficulties to keep up to the old spirit of the traditional M&M party system and today's game standards. But there are several other nice M&M RPG fan projects going along quite nicely so it's not all lost for the RPG fans.

TheCoolinator
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby TheCoolinator » 18 Mar 2010, 19:17

arturchix wrote:I think it's safe to say that the project which started back in 2003 (!) is dead though it's unlikely that the project leader Ribannah will ever confirm it. It's really sad as quite a lot of dedicated fans including me put into it a lot of energy that will go wasted.
Well that's not good at all......I did see however before I posted here that there are new screen shots. So maybe someone is still chugging along over there.
arturchix wrote:AFAIK Ubisoft has no plans to work on a new M&M RPG game - probably mostly because of technical difficulties to keep up to the old spirit of the traditional M&M party system and today's game standards. But there are several other nice M&M RPG fan projects going along quite nicely so it's not all lost for the RPG fans.
Can you link me to those projects? I would definitely like to check it out.

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 18 Mar 2010, 19:21

Maybe, but the future of the project looks very grim.

Check this topic for other projects - viewtopic.php?t=10622

TheCoolinator
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby TheCoolinator » 18 Mar 2010, 19:32

arturchix wrote:Maybe, but the future of the project looks very grim.

Check this topic for other projects - viewtopic.php?t=10622
Wow, I didn't know there was so many going on :proud: . Thanks for the update
Last edited by TheCoolinator on 19 Mar 2010, 13:41, edited 1 time in total.

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 18 Mar 2010, 22:32

Hi and welcome!

Ubisoft aren't planning to create MMX at all (they said so in a recent interview: http://mightandmagic.wikia.com/wiki/Might_and_Magic_X). Ubisoft definitely did cancel one of their Might and Magic projects during a production stage however, and I suspect this may have been it.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 19 Mar 2010, 09:48

I think that quote has been misinterpreted. What they said was : if we ever do a new Might & Magic RPG, we won't call it "Might & Magic X" but rather "Might & Magic - <insert subtitle here>". I sincerely doubt Ubisoft would have bought the M&M licence, one of the last Great Old Ones of computer RPGs, to simply rule out the idea of doing another RPG. I think it's more a question of finding a good team and enough budget to do it right, but I'm confident it will happen someday ;)

TheCoolinator
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby TheCoolinator » 19 Mar 2010, 13:45

Marzhin wrote:I think that quote has been misinterpreted. What they said was : if we ever do a new Might & Magic RPG, we won't call it "Might & Magic X" but rather "Might & Magic - <insert subtitle here>". I sincerely doubt Ubisoft would have bought the M&M licence, one of the last Great Old Ones of computer RPGs, to simply rule out the idea of doing another RPG. I think it's more a question of finding a good team and enough budget to do it right, but I'm confident it will happen someday ;)
If it is created somewhere down the line I really hope they stay true to the mechanics and feel of the game. Taking what made M&M 6,7,8 great and upgrading it to compete with present standards. I would be very disappointed if they turn it into another lifeless RPG shooter, similar to what Bethesda did to Fallout 3. :disagree:

DaveO
Demon
Demon

Unread postby DaveO » 19 Mar 2010, 16:33

I'm sure I'll catch flak for saying this, but Might & Magic needs to stay dead as an RPG series. The reason I'm saying this is due to the fact that nobody has a budget besides Bethesda or possibly Stardock to take the time to make a return worth the effort. The emphasis is now on very high end graphics thanks to Morrowind and Oblivion. I'm sure Ubi will be quite happy making some M&M product available to the console folks since that's where the money is.
I'd rather be part bull than a complete sheep.

TheCoolinator
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby TheCoolinator » 19 Mar 2010, 17:13

DaveO wrote:I'm sure I'll catch flak for saying this, but Might & Magic needs to stay dead as an RPG series. The reason I'm saying this is due to the fact that nobody has a budget besides Bethesda or possibly Stardock to take the time to make a return worth the effort. The emphasis is now on very high end graphics thanks to Morrowind and Oblivion. I'm sure Ubi will be quite happy making some M&M product available to the console folks since that's where the money is.
That's a perfectly legitimate statement. I have no problem with it. I think your idea is probably the safest bet because god knows what a bunch of new developers who have never played the old series will do if they get their hands on it.

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 20 Mar 2010, 00:08

Marzhin wrote:I think that quote has been misinterpreted. What they said was : if we ever do a new Might & Magic RPG, we won't call it "Might & Magic X" but rather "Might & Magic - <insert subtitle here>". I sincerely doubt Ubisoft would have bought the M&M licence, one of the last Great Old Ones of computer RPGs, to simply rule out the idea of doing another RPG. I think it's more a question of finding a good team and enough budget to do it right, but I'm confident it will happen someday ;)
im quite certain it was for the successfully and prosperous Heroes section they bought the franchise, not the RPG section.
I'm sure I'll catch flak for saying this, but Might & Magic needs to stay dead as an RPG series. The reason I'm saying this is due to the fact that nobody has a budget besides Bethesda or possibly Stardock to take the time to make a return worth the effort. The emphasis is now on very high end graphics thanks to Morrowind and Oblivion. I'm sure Ubi will be quite happy making some M&M product available to the console folks since that's where the money is.
it pains me to no end, but i....agree with this. all we will ever see from that company in terms of Might and Magic are Heroes and games like Dark Messiah.

i know it and you guys know it, deep in your souls, there is little interest in hard-core FPV party RPG in these days of frivolous, casual RPG's such as Mass Effect, Oblivion and Dragon Age.

well, except for us, but what money pouch are we to the big companies?
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 20 Mar 2010, 09:01

Yea, Ubisoft doesn't have any motivation to create an RPG title; and even if they had, they shouldn't if they are to do the same they did to the Heroes spinoff. I don't want WoW models and another universe in my MM games :\

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 20 Mar 2010, 12:31

Yeap, I agree, with all the informations we have so far Ubisoft has no
plans continue the rpg MnM serie, and imo better to leave it alone after
what we saw at Heroes 5 and Dark Messiah. Our hopes now are at the
strong MnM community and the many projects that started(keep them
alive and have patience ;) )
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 20 Mar 2010, 14:40

Talin_Trollbane wrote:i know it and you guys know it, deep in your souls, there is little interest in hard-core FPV party RPG in these days of frivolous, casual RPG's such as Mass Effect, Oblivion and Dragon Age.
There will always be an interest. I think MM games will work well on consoles too.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 20 Mar 2010, 15:28

GrayFace wrote:There will always be an interest. I think MM games will work well on consoles too.
That is true, too. Having all those games makes it unoriginal to release another title like that, and people will soon get bored of those. And as we know, history goes round, so MM type games might as well become popular once again. The only question is when, what is the right time to release such a title.

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 20 Mar 2010, 20:44

GrayFace wrote:
Talin_Trollbane wrote:i know it and you guys know it, deep in your souls, there is little interest in hard-core FPV party RPG in these days of frivolous, casual RPG's such as Mass Effect, Oblivion and Dragon Age.
There will always be an interest. I think MM games will work well on consoles too.
on console? Might and Magic FPV RPG?? either you are on some heavy drugs or dont know any modern day consolers.

RPG's like Demons Soul work on console, but Might and Magic? maybe back in the SNES and NES era it worked fine, but on PS3 and Xbox 360? no.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 20 Mar 2010, 22:11

Talin_Trollbane wrote:
GrayFace wrote:
on console? Might and Magic FPV RPG?? either you are on some heavy drugs or dont know any modern day consolers.

RPG's like Demons Soul work on console, but Might and Magic? maybe back in the SNES and NES era it worked fine, but on PS3 and Xbox 360? no.
Actually I think it could work really well. One analog/thumb stick to control looking around, the other to control the cursor. Flying can be done with the left bumper buttons on the back of the controller, and the right two bumper stickers on the back for auto attack and casting spells. Then there's still also the four regular buttons, which can be used for a use key, a key to replace the left mouse button, one for the right mouse button, and one to open your spellbook. You can open your inventory by pressing the back button. Only thing left is the map, which I'm sure could be made part of the inventory screen.

Imo that setup would work better than how it 's currently done with the keyboard/mouse (unless you're using a custom setup maybe).
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 20 Mar 2010, 23:27

im talking about interest in hard-core RPG's, not controls.

UndeadHalfOrc
Titan
Titan

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 20 Mar 2010, 23:51

Speaking about controls... why isn't the mouse part of STANDARD ACCESSORY for consoles yet???

I've kept saying this for 20 frikkin'years and still not much progress. ;|

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 21 Mar 2010, 16:44

because then they would just be half-assed computers?

Return to “Might and Magic”