MM1 & MM2 noob questions

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

MM1 & MM2 noob questions

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 18 Mar 2010, 04:18

There seems to be only one "savegame", Roster.dta (Roster.dat in MM2) which stores all info about characters.

But how does the game store the data of quests completed?

Let's say I create a party, vainquish most of the villains and solve most quests. If I sign in then use a different party, will these quests be available for these new guys?

Is there a hidden data for each character that details which quests he has completed (and bonuses he has acquired) and which ones he didn't?

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 18 Mar 2010, 05:24

I still didn't play MM2, but in MM1 I performed all quests more than once with the same party. ROSTER.DAT contains no party common information, so these quests bits are probably property of every character, or, maybe, of party leader.
I think MM2 plays much the same.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 18 Mar 2010, 15:24

In fact, what kind of party-common information are you talking about? AFAIK all the quests give you material rewards that allow you to move on. As for partially complete quests (like talked to Zam but not Zom), no idea. I'd guess it's global, though.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 18 Mar 2010, 19:44

GreatEmerald wrote:In fact, what kind of party-common information are you talking about?
For MM1 it is
1) Vellum Scroll sequence.
2) Lord Ironfist sequence.
3) Lord Inspectron sequence.
4) Lord Hacker sequence.
5) Wheels of Luck sequence.
6) Clerics of South sequence.
7) Lord Alamar sequence. :)
8) Astral Plane sequence.
Ithink, I did not miss anything. The most of other events are controlled by items in the party's backpacks, or (like 'Tree Climbing Sequence') are not saved anyway.
GreatEmerald wrote:AFAIK all the quests give you material rewards that allow you to move on.
What material gives you Og for returning him his sight?

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 18 Mar 2010, 19:57

I think that's experience, and it's an optional quest.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 19 Mar 2010, 08:13

I think, that experience is not material, but ideal. An he talk about the true King imprisoned, that's ideal too.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 19 Mar 2010, 13:55

Yes, but they're just not stored anywhere at all (experience is per party member, so it's in the roster).

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 19 Mar 2010, 23:56

if i remember Wyzardrys notes, it was imbedded into Roster.dat somehow.
like mentioned before into the char files.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 20 Mar 2010, 00:57

Talin_Trollbane wrote:if i remember Wyzardrys notes, it was imbedded into Roster.dat somehow.
like mentioned before into the char files.
But let's say I completely beat the game with a given 6 player party.

I wanna start a new game. I don't delete the roster file or any of my old characters. I create 6 brand new characters.

Will these new characters have access to everything, quests, etc? Or all of the stuff that was "solved" by party #1 is no longer available?
Last edited by UndeadHalfOrc on 20 Mar 2010, 01:37, edited 1 time in total.

Mn
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mn » 20 Mar 2010, 01:11

I tried to play MM1 - no results. it's seems very old and no interesting mysef. But MM2 I completed "Triple crown" quest, finished all promoutions (but barbarian?) and don't understand how to return time to before (to kill or to safe somebody?) In each tavern I haved experienced players, but with my English I could not finished MM2. I'm sorry, it is highter of my knowledge. But mm3-7 are my liked games forever.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 20 Mar 2010, 01:45

By the way, read this if you have problems with the text being too fast in MM1 in dosbox:

This shows how to remedy the problem with a hex editor. Tried it, works fine.

http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.p ... 149#183149

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 20 Mar 2010, 08:58

Yes, a new party will be able to play it all over again. Even your "everything complete" party will be. You can start the vellum scroll quest whenever, and from then on you get items to unlock other quests. Not sure if the Gates to Another World would work immediately, though.

Interesting find there... I might try it, although my current settings are quite good as well. I wonder if there is something like that for MM2-5 to make controls respond better yet not make all the animations fast as hell?

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 20 Mar 2010, 18:41

Simply adjusting the cycles on dosbox should be enough. Around 8000 seems to work best for me for MM2-3-4-5. I keep a separate dosbox.conf file for each game, and have different shortcuts that start up dosbox with different config files.

That didn't work with MM1, however, hence the workaround fix. That guy on the dosbox forum basically said that MM1 originally did stuff that genuinely caused delays on real, old computers but that wasn't emulated in dosbox.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 20 Mar 2010, 20:24

For me MM1 vanilla works better than MM3... I just can't find a good setting for MM3 cycles. Especially the area transition with the screen fading is slow as all hell, while with the same cycles shop animations are very fast. The intro has unreliable performance, too - they couldn't have overlooked something like that, and Shyranis also said it was DOSBox's fault.

Return to “Might and Magic”