mm6: Druid vs Cleric?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

Druid or Cleric?

Druid
24%
Cleric
76%

Total votes: 21

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 18 Mar 2010, 16:17

tolich wrote:Really you must just enter, grab the vase, and leave without hitting anyone. To kill all that moves is a Knight's way.
And noone can prohibit me to take these eggs even before war of Human and Elves. But dragons, of course. :D
Most of the tunnels to Eofol are very narrow, and Behemoths are quite big. Even with invisibility you could not go past them.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 18 Mar 2010, 19:49

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:Even with invisibility you could not go past them.
But I can go through them.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 18 Mar 2010, 20:42

tolich wrote:
UndeadHalfOrc wrote:Even with invisibility you could not go past them.
But I can go through them.
How?

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 18 Mar 2010, 21:44

I vote for cleric, although druid in mm6(unfortunatelly in mm7 they are too broken to even consider, specially taking in account necessity for GM level spells like prot from magic) can be pretty useful, but i would rather pass him , specially for first time game(especially because of 1st promo - you really need to think and know ahead to take advantage of druid).
Problem with druid is that in early game you need too much skill points to take advantage of his elemental/ego mastery (4+3 schools), and by building him as a healer, he wont differ than much from cleric. On second part, when skill points is less of an issue, you get dark/light that are quite strong and you can only bite your fingers then.
As substitute of sorcerer, he can work out pretty good since priests consume less skill points and can easily pick both dark/light leaving team with 2 good healers and 2 powerfull casters(elemental druid + dark cleric)
Imo Rogue is the hardest promotion
Tbh i possibly dont see anything hard with it. Imo its on of most easy 1st promos ingame(apart from ranger one) unlike paladin promo you arnt actually required to fight or take hits at all, thus strenght of party doesnt really play much role. Either invisibility or charm solves up those couple of guards rather easly. On other hand getting through that hell of a maze in barrows, camping stables for 5 weeks in harmondale or killing dragon (that without exploiting game should only be possible in middle of game at best - yes i consider strafing for half an hour and bowing him down to be borderline of exploit, ofc can be done, buit its only possible because game's engine is made that way that you can easly dodge those bolts) is way harder in my opinion

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 18 Mar 2010, 23:05

The Rogue quest is one of the few places in the game where I have to actually use tactics and spells I would otherwise hardly ever employ: brute force, patience or exploits do nothing here, that's why I consider it to be difficult.

For the record: Invisibility only works if you have a Sorcerer or a scroll. I never use scrolls (I hate carrying around so much clutter). Even then, I don't know how to get past those enemies without walking too close to them or waiting a few hours for them to position themselves just right so you can walk past them (which I consider borderline exploitation).
And the master swordsman seems to be immune to stun, charm and berserk (I certainly tried!). Of course, you could berserk his friends to fight him but occasionally he ignores them and kills you anyway, and when he does fight them they die very quickly.

The only other promotion that has you fighting a master swordsman is during the Paladin's SECOND promotion quest, and I still almost died there.
On other hand getting through that hell of a maze in barrows, camping stables for 5 weeks in harmondale or killing dragon (that without exploiting game should only be possible in middle of game at best - yes i consider strafing for half an hour and bowing him down to be borderline of exploit, ofc can be done, buit its only possible because game's engine is made that way that you can easly dodge those bolts) is way harder in my opinion
With time and patience, these can all be completed easily. In the Barrows you just have to take notes of what rooms link up to which other rooms, and the fights are made easy by being able to rest up any time you want to in the previous barrow. The stables thing just takes time and Lord difficulty arena matches are often rediculously easy. The dragon.. well I prefer to play in realtime mode and turnbased is borderline exploit to me.. But even if I would play turnbased, the dragon is still just mindless brute force. You may need to be powerful in order to be able to kill him, but that doesn't make the fight itself - once you get to it - any more or less challenging.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 19 Mar 2010, 02:04

The rogue gets "master armsmaster" without any promotions. If you have 2 good daggers in each hand, added with the heroism ped and stone skin in Tatalia, you can really cut the enemy down, very fast.

..and it was a Master of the sword, which I could not defeat. It did not matter though; I got what I needed by then.

I went to Nighon at lvl15 to get master leather and master dagger. It was a real pain to get there and back, but I made it. I have only daggers for melee and throwing.

..game keeps crashing in the gauntlet, so, sadly, it seems I'm done. :(

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 19 Mar 2010, 08:36

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:How?
Killing them all, strange question...
I've came into Nigh-on when my Great Druid or Wizard was ready to become Master of Water. I've cleaned Thunderfist, Nighon and the Maze from hostiles. And now you asks how could I pass through the Behemoths?

P.S. Voted for Cleric.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 19 Mar 2010, 09:09

I, for one, did understand your comment tolich, but it was a little vague. Some could have taken it literally; kind of like being able to walk right though peasants in M&M 8.

TheCoolinator
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby TheCoolinator » 19 Mar 2010, 13:57

I never played a Druid before. The issue was that their spells didn't really peak my interest and I already had water magic with my mage.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 20 Mar 2010, 22:21

Variol wrote:The rogue gets "master armsmaster" without any promotions. If you have 2 good daggers in each hand, added with the heroism ped and stone skin in Tatalia, you can really cut the enemy down, very fast.
Ah, you complete the quest much later in the game than I usually do :)
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 21 Mar 2010, 09:24

TheCoolinator wrote:I never played a Druid before. The issue was that their spells didn't really peak my interest and I already had water magic with my mage.
They have the same spells as the sorceror, exept dark and light

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 21 Mar 2010, 14:21

Sure Valla wrote:They (Druids - tolich) have the same spells as the sorceror, exept dark and light
And but GM's ones. In other hand, they can make black potions.
Ooops, it's MM6. :)
Last edited by tolich on 23 Mar 2010, 05:03, edited 1 time in total.

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 21 Mar 2010, 16:40

tolich wrote:but GM's ones. In other hand, they can make black potions.
yeah but only in mm7, in mm6 EVERYONE can make black potions

TheCoolinator
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby TheCoolinator » 22 Mar 2010, 17:39

So I guess the only point to having a Druid would be to get GM Nature & Earth spells? ;|

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 22 Mar 2010, 17:46

TheCoolinator wrote:So I guess the only point to having a Druid would be to get GM Nature & Earth spells? ;|
Alchemy and Earth spells in mm7, yes

TheCoolinator
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby TheCoolinator » 22 Mar 2010, 17:57

Sure Valla wrote:
TheCoolinator wrote:So I guess the only point to having a Druid would be to get GM Nature & Earth spells? ;|
Alchemy and Earth spells in mm7, yes
What's the point of Alchemy if you can cast a spell buff ? I would rather just cast a spell instead of foraging for raw materials all over the place.

Jymbob
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jymbob » 22 Mar 2010, 20:42

TheCoolinator wrote: What's the point of Alchemy if you can cast a spell buff ? I would rather just cast a spell instead of foraging for raw materials all over the place.
In MM7 the potions, like Haste, can last more than one day. That beats the spell by 22 hours or so..and then theres the black permanent potions of course.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 23 Mar 2010, 10:34

Only reason to consider druid in mm7 is his alchemist GM skill. But even then you can buy black pots in celeste/pit anyway and they are single use anyway.Only reason is to get 75 power black pots, but somehow i think its not worth it.
As for haste and other pots, they are useful but sorc can mix pots up to white anyway.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 23 Mar 2010, 13:03

Cleric! Good healers and Dark Magic FTW!
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 23 Mar 2010, 16:25

TheCoolinator wrote: What's the point of Alchemy if you can cast a spell buff ? I would rather just cast a spell instead of foraging for raw materials all over the place.
Agree, but what the other say, Potions last longer.

BTW, this is a topic about mm6? Lets keep it that way?

Return to “Might and Magic”