More color palette issues...

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Vector
Pixie
Pixie

More color palette issues...

Unread postby Vector » 26 Feb 2010, 00:02

Ok, so Vladimir is helping us with the sprites for MMX and I can get everything to work perfectly with the sprites except for the color palettes which are in the .ACT file format.

Is there a program that can import palettes of this type. I remember Grayface saying that his LOD.Add can add an .ACT palette files, but when I add them, they add incorrectly (Maybe I'm the one who is using the program incorrectly in this instance).

I believe BDJ can add an .ACT file format, but he does it via code I think, and I am not-so-great at coding.

Also note, I can add palettes just fine in the 8-bit bitmap type of file format as Grayface suggested. I'm just wanting to know how to add in .ACT file format as well.
||\............/||_||\............/||_\\.....//
||..\......../..||_||..\......../..||__\\.//
||....\..../....||_||....\..../....||__//.\\
||......\/......||_||......\/......||_//.....\\

Might and Magic X: The Anduran Saga
Official Website: http://www.mightandmagic10.thegaminguniverse.com/

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 27 Feb 2010, 05:53

vladimir-maestro said his Photoshop has .ACT and .PAL formats switched. Try saving color table as .PAL and then changing its extension to .ACT. The correct file must have 768 colors.
BTW, I introduced a bug in one of last versions of LodAdd that affected palettes import as bitmaps. It makes them inacassible in Direct3D mode. I'll upload a new version very soon.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Vector
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Vector » 01 Mar 2010, 17:53

GrayFace wrote:vladimir-maestro said his Photoshop has .ACT and .PAL formats switched. Try saving color table as .PAL and then changing its extension to .ACT. The correct file must have 768 colors.
BTW, I introduced a bug in one of last versions of LodAdd that affected palettes import as bitmaps. It makes them inacassible in Direct3D mode. I'll upload a new version very soon.
Hmm, my photoshop does not have a PAL extension. Is there somewhere to get the codec? However, the palettes he sent me are already in the ACT file format. I was assuming they needed to be in the PAL format. However, I may try seeing if I can create a new palette and import it myself using the bmp format and you're program....

Essentially though, there is no program that can import the ACT file format?

Also, let's say a sprite uses Palette 342. Would that mean the following 3 palettes: 343, 344, and 345 are part of the same sprite?
||\............/||_||\............/||_\\.....//
||..\......../..||_||..\......../..||__\\.//
||....\..../....||_||....\..../....||__//.\\
||......\/......||_||......\/......||_//.....\\

Might and Magic X: The Anduran Saga
Official Website: http://www.mightandmagic10.thegaminguniverse.com/

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 02 Mar 2010, 10:54

Vector wrote:Essentially though, there is no program that can import the ACT file format?
LodAdd does that. :)
Vector wrote:Also, let's say a sprite uses Palette 342. Would that mean the following 3 palettes: 343, 344, and 345 are part of the same sprite?
Usually, but not always. Some monsters have 1 palette, a few monsters have their editing palette not followed by game palettes. Palette numbers used by the game are in dsft.bin.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Return to “Might and Magic”