Ranged combat advantage

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Saxon1974
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Ranged combat advantage

Unread postby Saxon1974 » 22 Feb 2010, 01:46

In playing MMVI I wasn't able to get very far into "Dragoons Cavern" without running away and then turning around and switching to Turn-based mode and launching 2 or 3 shots at each foe before they reach me.

Using this tactic I was able to clean the place out without having to go outside and rest each time I encountered a Brigand.

Does anyone else do this? Do you considered it cheating?

Did I just mess up my character builds or is this normal?

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Re: Ranged combat advantage

Unread postby Macros the Black » 22 Feb 2010, 02:53

It's normal. I do this all the time. I guess you could duke it out in melee and rest up after every single battle, but that's just boring.

It's a single player game, so the only cheating you can do is whatever you yourself think is cheating.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

phamlongtuan
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby phamlongtuan » 22 Feb 2010, 06:58

I'm even not take into any fighting until very late of game. Just go to Free haven and hire a gate master or just save and load until you get them. After that is the time for run, click the chest and do the quest and use town portal of gate master. Some quest like King's shield in black shire and easy to do just use telekinesis. So many quest just mass fear, click and run and town portal. That's all.

Mn
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mn » 22 Feb 2010, 09:25

Saxon1974 wrote:In playing MMVI I wasn't able to get very far into "Dragoons Cavern" without running away and then turning around and switching to Turn-based mode and launching 2 or 3 shots at each foe before they reach me.

Using this tactic I was able to clean the place out without having to go outside and rest each time I encountered a Brigand.

Does anyone else do this? Do you considered it cheating?

Did I just mess up my character builds or is this normal?
Dragoons Cavern are pretty simple to clean at first-level group. Of course, by using TP and healing as you need. I heal my group after every "corridor", exclude only Northern intersestion ways. There are no artifacts, but lot of money, exp and helpful items. And no quest in original MM6 but Mods.

Jymbob
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jymbob » 22 Feb 2010, 10:20

Macros the Black wrote: It's a single player game, so the only cheating you can do is whatever you yourself think is cheating.
I have recently returned to MM after playing neverwinternight online for 6 years, and this is the real difference.
Make up your own rules, you are only cheating or not cheating yourself, others cant care less.
I have a set on rules, for instance I dont multi-loot any corpses. But in MM6 it can be real hard not to save-and-reload when your handing in pyramids for items, same in MM7, when you giving in ore for items in Eranthia.

But as said: make up your own rules :)

phamlongtuan
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby phamlongtuan » 22 Feb 2010, 10:29

Jymbob wrote:
Macros the Black wrote: It's a single player game, so the only cheating you can do is whatever you yourself think is cheating.
I have recently returned to MM after playing neverwinternight online for 6 years, and this is the real difference.
Make up your own rules, you are only cheating or not cheating yourself, others cant care less.
I have a set on rules, for instance I dont multi-loot any corpses. But in MM6 it can be real hard not to save-and-reload when your handing in pyramids for items, same in MM7, when you giving in ore for items in Eranthia.

Perfect saying so far as i concerned.

With multi-loot you have unlimited money and items.

With save load enchanted normal item and sale ==> other unlimited money.

With save and load you kill even most strongest monster.

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 22 Feb 2010, 14:06

I agree with the above posters, set your own rules, you have
many choices and that's one good part that MnM games have.

Personally I play every combat at turn-based(at MnM7-8 ,
at MnM 6 movement at turn based is not so practical), this
makes game much harder when fighting combats at your own
level i think, and you avoid the shoot+run thing. When fighting
much weaker enemies(usually the respawns of past areas) i use
the real time combat for fast clearing. I try also not to exploit
any bugs (f.e. some areas that can provide you infinite loots,
like wall of mist ,if I remember correct the name, at MnM 7).

But this is a matter of how you enjoy most the gaming experience
MnM can provide you. ;)
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

Saxon1974
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Saxon1974 » 23 Feb 2010, 01:50

Well I agree that its all up to the player to decide how they want to play a game.

I wish the monsters would use shields to block arrows and hide behind things to make run and shoot a little tougher....

I know I can choose not to do that but that would make the game take forever because I would be constantly be having to find a place to rest.

I tried playing with running and shooting but I just dont have the patience for that.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 23 Feb 2010, 02:39

I'm really ok with shooting the crap out of 'em; specially since in melee, you're hitting 5 or more enemies right in front of you, 'cos of the 2d thing.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 23 Feb 2010, 02:47

Saxon1974 wrote:I wish the monsters would use shields to block arrows and hide behind things to make run and shoot a little tougher...
Yeah, I think it would be cool if enemies with shields or undead (e.g. skeletons and ghosts) would be highly resistant or even immune to arrows. Not only is it realistic, but it forces you to fight them in melee or spend spell points.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

Saxon1974
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Saxon1974 » 24 Feb 2010, 03:25

Macros the Black wrote:
Saxon1974 wrote:I wish the monsters would use shields to block arrows and hide behind things to make run and shoot a little tougher...
Yeah, I think it would be cool if enemies with shields or undead (e.g. skeletons and ghosts) would be highly resistant or even immune to arrows. Not only is it realistic, but it forces you to fight them in melee or spend spell points.
It would make it seem a little more realistic at least. That kind of AI was probably not around for 3D style games in 1998.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 24 Feb 2010, 04:24

Saxon1974 wrote:It would make it seem a little more realistic at least. That kind of AI was probably not around for 3D style games in 1998.
That's not AI and it was more than possible - simply make the undead carry a permanent Air Shield enchantment.

Saxon1974
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Saxon1974 » 24 Feb 2010, 20:14

I was talking more about monsters moving out of the way of arrows or hiding behind trees, rocks etc....

Agree that making skeletons immune or highly resistant to arrows would be a good idea and could have been easily. (And is not AI).

I just fought with some ghosts and pretty funny that I took them out with Arrows :D

Oh man who else here loves the "Meteor Shower" spell? Fantastic for clearing large mobs on the game map. Game just got more fun!

Mn
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mn » 24 Feb 2010, 21:32

Jymbob wrote:

I've said : no double-looting Dragons/Titans Bodies and no reloading before the shops refulled. You must Only finished Both MM6 and MM7 original games with 1-st level party, and I'll may think about yours mastering in this games. MM7 is most hardly to travel by first-level, but try do it. Also - no reloads with ore changings or with some equal contests. Do not attent at your time and final score - there will be yours only, but...

Return to “Might and Magic”