[MM7] Top 15 favorite spells

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

[MM7] Top 15 favorite spells

Unread postby Macros the Black » 03 Feb 2010, 14:16

Simple, post your top 15 favorite spells. Some comments would be nice. From least to best:

15: Day of the Gods
Makes a melee party really powerful, and makes you win any attribute challenges in the land.

14. Day of Protection
Saves me alot of time and effort casting all those spells. A shame they couldn't include torch light, though.

13. Reanimate
Just a really fun spell. Not only is it great for making a private army of zombies, you can even turn your own party members into zombies! Hilarious.

12. Regeneration
Saves me lots of boring castings of Heal without making the game too easy (although at grandmaster it IS a bit overpowerd imo).

11. Divine Intervention
Saves me from having to leave and come back. Instead, I can just heal everything in one swift casting and continue fighting.

10. Sacrifice
It's a master level spell instead of grandmaster (thus leaving room for Souldrinker), and it doesn't age you when you cast it. It can be cast as many times as you like, too, because there are NPC's aplenty in this game. Losing reputation? So what. Who cares what my reputation looks like in Eofol? Lastly, I like killing off my allies. Muahahaha.

9. Souldrinker
Speaking of Souldrinker, what a useful spell. It damages all enemies and heals all party members. What more could you want from a spell? I also really like that it makes the screen go black for a second, it just looks cool. Like it sucks up all the lifeforce of the enemies surrouding you. This is basically the perfect spell to use as quickspell.

8. Fly
No-brainer really. It's cool and very useful.

7. Town Portal
Ugh, finally no more checking stables and boat schedules. Thank you!

6. Invisibility
The only thing I don't like about this spell is that Thieves don't get it (they should.. it suits them), and Archers get it only AFTER completing the Titan's Fortress (where you need it the most). Aside from that.. awesome.

5. Fate
I used to think this spell was useless... Until I realised where it shines. In fights against powerful enemies, where you miss twice for everytime you hit the enemy, it's totally worth having your paladin cast this instead of attacking. It's simple math, really. Even with Bless cast, at the beginning of the game this situation actually occurs more often then you'd think. The usefulness of this spell really surprised me.

4. Vampiric Weapon
Lifesteal is the mod I look for most on any weapon. It's good in any game, but in Might and Magic it's really good. Combined with Regeneration this can keep you alive for quite a while.

3. Fire Aura
One of those spells you don't usually care to use, but when you do... It's this spell that makes it possible to kill oozes without much trouble. It's also this spell that adds that little edge needed to kill that really powerful enemy. The reason this is higher on my list than Vampiric Weapon is because you have access to it earlier in the game, which means it's more useful throughout. Otherwise Vampiric Weapon would definately win.

2. Berserk
Incredibly useful in fights you are otherwise having difficulties with. Works great against the trolls in Tatalia, or the Wyverns in Avlee. But my favorite use of this spell has got to be against sword masters - making all there weaker friends pound them and me shooting him from a distance. An otherwise impossible fight made possible thanks to this spell. It's what saved me in the Thief promotion quest when I didn't have Invisibility or any powerful elemental spells. Sure, Enslave and Paralyze are better spells, but considering how quickly you can have access to Berserk one it's likely to be more useful throughout the game.
This spell would have been useless in Might and Magic VI, but in Might and Magic VII you actually get into situations where you have to use tactics like this.

1. Wizard Eye
Need I say more? I don't know what I'd do without it.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

Mamma Jamma
Peasant
Peasant

15?!?

Unread postby Mamma Jamma » 03 Feb 2010, 17:00

Fifteen o' them?!? What's the deal? Fifteen men on the dead's man chest?
Oh well, nevermind; here they are:

15: Rock Blast
Not very useful for most of the game EXCEPT one place: Titan Stronghold. Hit those Titans from afar, and watch them die without even knowing who hit them: they don't see you...

14: Armageddon
If you happen to get one or two scrolls from the dragon in Emerald Island, it'll make your life easier in Harmondale and Barrow Downs. If you get only one, keep it for Barrow Downs: there are no monsters there immune to Armageddon (yes, ghosts included). As a book-spell, it may come in handy later, but usually you have already cleaned most of the areas by the time you get it.

13: Meteor Shower
Not as useful as in MM6, but still a good weapon for "cleaning" Titans and Water Elementals.

12: Hour of Power
Very good; much, much better than Day of the Gods. Too bad it'll come rather late.

11: Day of Protection
Nice shortcut for all the protective spells; handy and useful.

10: Power Cure
Well, this is a must for every party. Too bad it's for GMs only and you'll get it rather late.

9: Telekinesis
Very useful for parties without Disarm. I do like to play Wizard Druid Priest Wizard, and for this kind of party is a must!

8: Protection from Magic
Very useful against Medusas, Titans and Minotaurs: they no longer stone, paralyze or kill you (instantly, that is...).

7: Water Walk
You can't finish the game without it. Period.

6: Sparks
For magic parties (see no. 9 above), it wreaks havoc. Oozes, ghouls, almost anything you want can be killed inside the dungeons (Behemoths and Minotaurs included), especially in narrow corridors. My favorite spell in The Maze! I sometimes even use it to kill Trolls in Tatalia, though it's not that useful there

5: Regeneration
One hell of a spell! It helps so much in the early game; it's the first thing I buy in Harmondale.

4: Fly
If you think flying is not that useful, just play TCC, the MM6 mod by BDJ and his team. After that, you may be tempted to put it first... Nobody realizes that he likes breathing!

3: Loyd's Beacon
Ran out of mana, or your priest's dead and the others are about to follow her/him? Well, no problemo: use the beacon, go to the local hospital, mend yourself (they can even heal insane people, and instantly too!) and you're back in business! Beam me up Scotty!

2: Town Portal
I couldn't imagine MMs without it... It's the one thing that makes a Wizard a must in any party (of course, it's just my opinion). I always go to Nighon after promoting my Wizard(s), just to be able to get TP.

1: Wizard Eye
The very first spell I use in MM7. I even hire a Cartographer in the beginning, just to have it cast all day round! It's the most useful spell around and one that you'll keep casting until you get Day of Protection.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 03 Feb 2010, 23:22

MM7 Favorite Spells

1. Day of Protection
2. Day of the Gods
3. Town Portal
4. Fly
5. Invisibility
6. Protection from Magic
7. Lloyd's Beacon
8. Power Cure
9. Fire Aura (Great money maker.)
9. Ice Bolt (Great damage for low cost.)
10. Enslave
11. Berserk (So fun to watch.) :D
12. Meteor Shower
13. Inferno
14. Summon Elemental
15. Resurrection

Worst Spells:

1. Detect Life (Identify Monster works better.)
2. Fate (I use Bless instead.)
3. Immolation (Quickest way to make friendly creatures hostile.)
4. Fire Spike
5. Haste (Always leaves my party weak, which I hate because then I have to heal them all before I continue battling.)
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Re: 15?!?

Unread postby Macros the Black » 04 Feb 2010, 10:28

Mamma Jamma wrote:Fifteen o' them?!? What's the deal? Fifteen men on the dead's man chest?
There were so much I wanted to include that 10 wasn't enough :D

I left out Hour of Power because of it's Haste casting antics. I usually opt to just cast those spells seperately unless I actually want to have Haste cast on me.

I don't like Protection from Magic and Lloyd's Beacon because they are overpowered, and make parties without Sorcerers and Clerics less fun. They should either be less powerful, or not GM spells. Well, Protection from Magic isn't GM level but that's when it becomes useful (the master version doesn't protect from insta-death).

As for Fate, like I said, there's situations at the start of the game where even with Bless cast you still miss most of your attacks. In those situations, if you play in turn-based, it's definately worth casting Fate instead of attacking. Bless doesn't exclude using this spell also. In fact, it works best when cast on top of Bless. But yes, it's only useful at the beginning of the game.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

Mamma Jamma
Peasant
Peasant

Re: 15?!?

Unread postby Mamma Jamma » 04 Feb 2010, 11:27

Macros the Black wrote:
I don't like Protection from Magic and Lloyd's Beacon because they are overpowered, and make parties without Sorcerers and Clerics less fun. They should either be less powerful, or not GM spells. Well, Protection from Magic isn't GM level but that's when it becomes useful (the master version doesn't protect from insta-death).
Well, you never said anything about overpowered spells; I thought you wanted favorite spells...

And I haven't even included Inferno, which is quite good for parties with 2 Wizards and 1 Druid (my favorite party): you cast 3 of them as quick spells while your priest is casting Power Cure (also as quick spell). It works wonders in the Watchtower and even The Pit: spin around like crazy, to see as many monsters as possible, and keep casting until you're almost out of mana or almost dead, whichever comes first...

As for Hour of Power: Haste IS VERY USEFUL! Just keep an eye on your party and cast it again (Hour of Power, that is); I always do that and I almost never become weak (oh well, maybe once in a while...). I still think that Hour of Power is way better than Day of the Gods.
Day of the Gods DOES make a difference in Emerald Island and in early game (when you have access to it in Erathia).

Never used Fate before, but I'll keep in mind what you've just said. Though I (almost) never play turn-based; in fact the only time I DID play turn-based was in TCC (at the end of both Part1 and Part 2). And I've played quite a lot of MM6-MM8...

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 04 Feb 2010, 11:47

Well, you never said anything about overpowered spells; I thought you wanted favorite spells...
Sure, favorite as in the ones you think are most fun. Those two aren't fun to me because they are overpowered :)
I'm not critisizing your choices, just explaining why I didn't include them myself.
And I haven't even included Inferno, which is quite good for parties with 2 Wizards and 1 Druid (my favorite party): you cast 3 of them as quick spells while your priest is casting Power Cure (also as quick spell). It works wonders in the Watchtower and even The Pit: spin around like crazy, to see as many monsters as possible, and keep casting until you're almost out of mana or almost dead, whichever comes first...
Inferno is great, but Souldrinker is better ^^
As for Hour of Power: Haste IS VERY USEFUL! Just keep an eye on your party and cast it again (Hour of Power, that is); I always do that and I almost never become weak (oh well, maybe once in a while...). I still think that Hour of Power is way better than Day of the Gods.
Day of the Gods DOES make a difference in Emerald Island and in early game (when you have access to it in Erathia).
I do use HoP in difficult fights, but it's one of those spells I don't *always* cast. I still think Day of the Gods is better:
- Day of the Gods allows you to win all those challenges, which means free skill points.
- Hour of Power casts only 4 spells, and it's easy to cast those yourself. Whereas Day of Protection casts about 12 spells, and Day of Gods grants an effect you can't otherwise achieve (except for black potions, but it stacks with those).
- Haste is annoying. It's a good spell, in fact it's the best spell in HoP, but it's also annoying. So definately not a "favorite" spell of mine.

I know if you cast HoP again you won't get weakened, but the duration of Haste is so short that I usually forget casting it until it's too late. This whole thing wouldn't be so annoying if Cure Weakness would affect the whole party instead one at a time..
Never used Fate before, but I'll keep in mind what you've just said. Though I (almost) never play turn-based; in fact the only time I DID play turn-based was in TCC (at the end of both Part1 and Part 2). And I've played quite a lot of MM6-MM8...
Yeah I usually play realtime too. I use Fate mostly in the Barrow Downs against the black zombies and the black and red haired ghouls. I'm usually fighting in turn-based there anyway because I tend to complete those immediately the first time I enter the region, at which point I'm too weak to fight all of that in realtime. Another good use for it is against the Gryphons you have to fight to get to the Red Dwarf Mines. I guess Fate can be useful in realtime too if you have your backup healer use it as quickspell (unless your backup healer is also your main melee fighter).
Edit: oh yeah, it's also useful against Troglodyte Queens.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 04 Feb 2010, 14:09

1. Heal
2. Wizard Eye
3. Town Portal
4. Fly
5. Heroism
6. Bless
7. Haste
8. Torch Light
9. Poison Spray
10. Protection from Magic
11. Hour Of Power
12. Day Of Protection
13. Shrapmetal
14. Feather Fall
15. Day Of Gods
Macros the Black wrote:Well, Protection from Magic isn't GM level but that's when it becomes useful (the master version doesn't protect from insta-death).
Master Protection from Magic is very useful. Medusas.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Mn
Scout
Scout

Re: [MM7] Top 15 favorite spells

Unread postby Mn » 04 Feb 2010, 15:51

As I travelled (and finished) MM7 with first level party only, without trainings, my spell list don't contained any Light/Dark spells (exclude any from Wands and really "must known" Dispel Magic - without this spell it's almost impossible to kill Tolberty/Robert at first level). Imho, my liked and often used spells are:
1. Town Portal
2. Fly
3. Regeneration
4. Invisibility
5. Paralization (fron Wand only)
6. Acid Burst - super offence spell!
7, Lighning
8. Bless
9. Heroism
10. Shared Life (my party - Thi-Cle-Mag-Mag - used Thieve's health to heal others weak members)
11. Shrapmetal (fron Wand only)
12. Recharge Item (without even fireball spell, I can several times restore Wands)
13. Prot from Magic
14. Lloyds Beacon (only at last days of the game)
15. Dispel Magic
Last edited by Mn on 04 Feb 2010, 16:12, edited 4 times in total.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Re: [MM7] Top 15 favorite spells

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 04 Feb 2010, 15:56

Macros the Black wrote:7. Town Portal
Ugh, finally no more checking stables and boat schedules. Thank you!

5. Fate
I used to think this spell was useless... Until I realised where it shines. In fights against powerful enemies, where you miss twice for everytime you hit the enemy, it's totally worth having your paladin cast this instead of attacking. It's simple math, really. Even with Bless cast, at the beginning of the game this situation actually occurs more often then you'd think. The usefulness of this spell really surprised me.

1. Wizard Eye
Need I say more? I don't know what I'd do without it.
You can always walk on foot :) Although I wish Enroth had the same portal system they had on Terra and XEEN.

Huh, Fate? I never understood that spell. The description says that it gives a bonus/penalty until the subject attacks. But it gives the bonus or penalty to the attack, so what the hell? A spell that wears off every time just before it can be used? I guess the description isn't really accurate, then... Can someone give some more insight to what the spell actually does?

You'd have one eye less ;)
Mamma Jamma wrote:13: Meteor Shower
Not as useful as in MM6, but still a good weapon for "cleaning" Titans and Water Elementals.

7: Water Walk
You can't finish the game without it. Period.
Uh, Water Elementals? Aren't they water elementals for a reason? Meteor Shower doesn't work on water.

You can finish it - use potions and underwater breathing items :) Or fly, if you happen to get it sooner than water walk.

Also, I can't be bothered with listing all the spells... There are too many of them.

Mn
Scout
Scout

about Water Walk spell

Unread postby Mn » 04 Feb 2010, 16:29

You're NO need to learh it. My first level party without Fly and Waterwalking pretty easy "jumped" to Bandit Caves!(? - Tatalia) and cleaned all inhabitants and with hired Windmaster and Lockmaster easy obtained the most hardly Golem parth - in Avlee. Where this spell needs to play, I don't remember.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 04 Feb 2010, 23:01

Master Protection from Magic is very useful. Medusas.
I always have the Medusa's Mirror amulet on my sorcerer/archer, he can stone-to-flesh the rest.. Although I don't need to do that thanks to Protection from Magic, but it means Protection from Magic at master level isn't really needed...
GreatEmerald wrote:Huh, Fate? I never understood that spell. The description says that it gives a bonus/penalty until the subject attacks. But it gives the bonus or penalty to the attack, so what the hell? A spell that wears off every time just before it can be used? I guess the description isn't really accurate, then... Can someone give some more insight to what the spell actually does?
It makes your next attack virtually a garantueed hit, but only works for one attack (it wears off when you've attacked, not before it).

That sounds very useless, I know, but it's only 2 sp to cast and there are plenty of situations where even with Bless cast you miss twice for every time you hit. Having your Paladin cast this on himself, or your cleric cast it on your knight, or whatever, can be very helpful then.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 05 Feb 2010, 01:42

An interesting way, although I suspect Sorcerer would have to cast Stone To Flash every turn in the tunnels. It would also require the Sorcerer to learn expert earth magic.:)
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Konfuzius
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Konfuzius » 05 Feb 2010, 15:22

My favorite spells:

1 Souldrinker (the only spell which damages every creature in sight outside of dungeons)
2 Shrapmetal (awesome damage in melee but high costs)
3 Darkfire Bolt (very brutal spell, particularly due to its dual nature)
4 Fire Blast (from MM6, great damage and little mana cost)
5 Lifedrain (it heals you, it damages monsters and it has low costs, what do you want more?)
6 Armargeddon (perfect money and exp maker in MM8/7)
7 Meteor Shower (high damage and the mana comsume isn't too much either)
8 Regeneration (just wait an hour and you have full HP again)
9 Protection from Magic (one of the must have spells)
10 Hour of Power (bless, heroism, stone skin, haste... what should i say more?)
11 Lloyd's Beacon (just put it in front of a cheap church ^^)
12 Fly ( I believe I can fly!)
13 Berserk (100% fun spell)
14 Wizard Eye (haha!)
15 Mass Distortion (very good against high HP enemies, but it needs many mana too)

Useless imo:
1 Telepathy
2 Fate
3 Stun
4 Ice Blast
5 Wing Buffet
6 Implosion (well the spell is ok but it causes too less damange compared to the costs)
7 Psychic Shock (25 mana for 1-12 damage per point of mind magic? no thanks)
8 Prismatic Light (herre too, high costs and too less damage. I prefer Souldrinker)

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 05 Feb 2010, 18:58

Konfuzius wrote:Useless imo:
5 Wing Buffet
6 Implosion (well the spell is ok but it causes too less damange compared to the costs)
Joke of the day: Where can you get a lot of wings to eat for a low price? Wing Buffet!

Implosion is hitscan, and that makes it awesome. Killing enemies while they don't see you = fun.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 05 Feb 2010, 20:23

Mmmm, Dragon Wing Buffet no less.

Good one GE! :-D

Mn
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mn » 05 Feb 2010, 21:45

Joke of the day: Where can you get a lot of wings to eat for a low price? Wing Buffet!

Implosion is hitscan, and that makes it awesome. Killing enemies while they don't see you = fun.[/quote]

I see You at least obtained "Hermes Sandal;s"? (only by killing MegaDragon)))) I's pretty easy with 1-st levell group)))))))

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 05 Feb 2010, 23:38

Lol @ R. Kelly reference.
Konfuzius wrote:6 Implosion (well the spell is ok but it causes too less damange compared to the costs)
7 Psychic Shock (25 mana for 1-12 damage per point of mind magic? no thanks)
Rock Blast at master level 7 does 8-73 damage. Implosion at master level 7 does 8-89 damage. Psychic Shock at master level 7 does 8-96 damage. 5 more spell points than Implosion and 10 more than Rock Blast. I'd say Implosion and Psychic Shock are equal to Rock Blast. And Implosion is hit-scan like GreatEmerald said, while Psychic Shock is not bad at all for a self magic spell.

I find it difficult to compare the damage spells when I don't know the recovery time each has. Are they as fast as the low level spells, or are they slower?
8 Prismatic Light (herre too, high costs and too less damage. I prefer Souldrinker)
Of course Souldrinker is better than Prismatic Light, it's in balance with the fact that Divine Intervention is better than Sacrifice. Prismatic Light deals double the damage Inferno does for only 10 more spell points, so it's far from useless. And you won't have access to Souldrinker if you're on the light path..

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 06 Feb 2010, 08:19

What is Wing Buffet?

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 06 Feb 2010, 11:36

GrayFace wrote:What is Wing Buffet?
MM8 Dragon ability. Though this thread is about MM7, as the title says :)

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 07 Feb 2010, 06:31

GreatEmerald wrote: Joke of the day: Where can you get a lot of wings to eat for a low price? Wing Buffet!
GreatEmerald wrote:
GrayFace wrote:What is Wing Buffet?
MM8 Dragon ability. Though this thread is about MM7, as the title says :)
The whole 'Wing Buffet' thing is just a joke. :rofl:
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Return to “Might and Magic”