Might and Magic VI, vista 64

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
dhalgren17
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Might and Magic VI, vista 64

Unread postby dhalgren17 » 30 Dec 2009, 02:53

Hello all:
I just noticed that "The Chaos Conspiracy" is out, and I want to play it. I've tried to load my MMVI on my new laptop, and I can't make it work. I bought a laptop in September. It's Vista home premium, 64 bit. When I put the install disk in it pulls up the main page, but when I try to install the computer works for a couple of seconds and then nothing. Any ideas would be appreciated.
dhalgren17

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 30 Dec 2009, 12:02

There can be a few reasons why that is happening. First of all, you should try running the setup in Windows 98 compatibility mode - find the setup.exe file (usually it's in D:\Setup\setup.exe), copy it, then go you your desktop, right-click and choose "Paste shortcut", then go into its properties, compatibility, and choose Windows 98 + Run as Administrator. Having UAC turned off helps as well.
If that doesn't work, it might mean that a firewall or antivirus is blocking the installer (happened to me on WinXP x64). To see if that's the case, disconnect from the Internet, press the windows key+R, input msconfig and choose Selective Startup, then untick all the checkboxes and click OK. It will ask if you want to restart, choose to do so, then once it's restarted, try running the setup. Once it's done, open msconfig again and choose Normal Startup.
If even that fails, you can try installing it on a virtual machine or another machine and then simply copying all the installed files to your machine.

dhalgren17
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby dhalgren17 » 30 Dec 2009, 16:08

Thanks very much for the help. It was the msconfig that did the trick for me.
dhalgren17

Return to “Might and Magic”