Arcomage 0.3

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
masterpoobaa
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby masterpoobaa » 30 Sep 2010, 22:39

Very nice clone!
Seems to work well, but had trouble closing it on my win7 box?
Minor issue :)
M&M VI - the best.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 01 Oct 2010, 11:52

Heh, that's not an issue, it's a feature :D You're supposed to close it by hitting Esc and the selecting Exit. Pressing the X button doesn't work because of the "boss mode" implemented. (Hint: hit 'B' during play ;) )

masterpoobaa
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby masterpoobaa » 03 Oct 2010, 22:11

Wooo Features! :D
M&M VI - the best.

Nomad
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Nomad » 11 Oct 2010, 00:02

GreatEmerald
The most brilliant. Keep it up!

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 11 Oct 2010, 05:31

Thanks :) I've done more in configuration now, so you can change starting options and winning conditions now. And you can define a path to your 3DO Arcomage Data folder or to wherever you extracted SPRITES.bmp from MM8 to and the game will have original card graphics! I'm planning to do the same with menu graphics and background as well. I still haven't figured out the sounds, but I guess I can go with the extracting approach instead - just ask for the wavs from MM7/MM8.

So if anyone wants it, I can repack the executable.

Nomad
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Nomad » 11 Oct 2010, 12:20

GreatEmerald wrote:I still haven't figured out the sounds, but I guess I can go with the extracting approach instead - just ask for the wavs from MM7/MM8..
You can surely look at the code for loading/playing snd files from MM7 in my svn.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 11 Oct 2010, 18:05

Standalone Arcomage doesn't use .snd, it uses .aiff in a really strange way of encoding (see this post: viewtopic.php?p=285389#285389 ). I'm really not good enough at this to even attempt to make it understandable to SDL :\

Nomad
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Nomad » 11 Oct 2010, 19:53

GreatEmerald
Go for the MM7, all arcomage sounds are in WAV in .snd

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 12 Oct 2010, 04:00

That's what I meant by saying that I'll probably require extracted wavs. I don't really want to rely on a single game here, since MM7, MM8 AND standalone Arcomage players should be able to hear the original sounds.

Nomad
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Nomad » 12 Oct 2010, 06:34

Couldn't you just ship the required sounds with the other art?

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 12 Oct 2010, 13:28

No, because of copyrights.

Nomad
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Nomad » 05 Jan 2011, 18:29

So how is it going?

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 05 Jan 2011, 20:40

My branch is going OK (although I'm very uncomfortable with C, to me the ideal language for standalone programs so far is D). Unfortunately, I can't find the original author. Like, at all. I have sent emails to him a few times, sent a merge request through Gitorious, no response. Worst of all is that even his website where he used to host Arcomage 0.3.0 is down. It's like he evaporated or something.

As for development news on my branch, the project is queued for now, that is, I will resume work on it once the time is right, since I have plenty of older projects I have to finish right now. I would welcome anyone who are willing to contribute, however. Maybe even port it to the latest SDL, since the old SDL that it's using right now has event queuing problems - you will notice that if you right-click the card and hold it, you might end up discarding several cards in a row, and if you right click twice even if by accident, you will discard two times once your turn comes. The latest SDL has a way of clearing the event queue, I think.

Nomad
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Nomad » 05 Jan 2011, 21:06

Contribution? Maybe. Could you please host source outside git like you did last time? I have no access to git, unfortunately.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 05 Jan 2011, 22:13

How can you not have access to it? You can easily download the git program, even on any platform. But anyway, Gitorious is a very nice service because it autotars the source for anyone to conveniently download. Go here:
http://gitorious.org/~greatemerald/stic ... ees/master
And click the "Download master as tar.gz" link to the right.

Nomad
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Nomad » 06 Jan 2011, 00:14

Ah, thanks. I am not familiar with this system.
Unfortunately, the project is unbuildable under MSVS :(

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 06 Jan 2011, 17:59

It's buildable everywhere. You just need to link things right. Personally I don't even use any IDE for it, just call the compiler directly via a batch script I have:

Code: Select all

C:\MinGW\bin\mingw32-make -f Makefile.win
pause
C:\MinGW\bin\mingw32-make clean -f Makefile.win
pause
Make sure that everything from /lib and /include is put into the path though.

As for Git, I recommend learning it. Git GUI is easy to use (while sometimes lacking in functionality, but the basics work fine), and it's an absolutely awesome way to cooperate in these things, since you upload only the difference between the code and everyone can see the progress and suggest things etc. Then when you merge things, you can see an overview of what's changed immediately.

Nomad
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Nomad » 06 Jan 2011, 19:03

I am using Visual Stuido, not mingw.
When I was using makefile, it tried to build a console app and I've got "uresolved external _console_main referenced in SDLmain.a". I've digged into SDLMain.a and found a reference to WinMain, so I manually switched to Win32 app. This time linker complained about unresolved "_alloca" in SDLMain.a, which is an intrinsic and should not be in object files.
So, I have not found any options to build under MSVC.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 06 Jan 2011, 20:29

Oh, then get mingw I guess. Never used Visual Studio. Though on DevC++ I had to create a new project and set the linker options to include all the required libraries, then it worked fine without the makefile.

Xography
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Xography » 07 Jan 2011, 19:16

Nomad wrote:I am using Visual Stuido, not mingw.
When I was using makefile, it tried to build a console app and I've got "uresolved external _console_main referenced in SDLmain.a". I've digged into SDLMain.a and found a reference to WinMain, so I manually switched to Win32 app. This time linker complained about unresolved "_alloca" in SDLMain.a, which is an intrinsic and should not be in object files.
So, I have not found any options to build under MSVC.
You need the pre-compiled Visual Studio libraries (or compile SDL by hand) since ".a"-Files will only work with MinGW. To link against SDL with VS you either need .lib files - or link directly to the SDLMain DLL.

Return to “Might and Magic”