Crusaders of M&M - worth play?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

Crusaders of Might and Magic is:

Great, better from HoMM or MM
No votes
Good, almost that as HoMM or MM
No votes
Its ok, but not that good as other MMs
41%
Poor, i dont like it
14%
I never played this game
45%

Total votes: 22

koval321
War Dancer
War Dancer

Crusaders of M&M - worth play?

Unread postby koval321 » 01 Dec 2009, 17:26

Anybody played this game?

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 01 Dec 2009, 18:15

never played it, must be really interresting i guess

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 01 Dec 2009, 18:50

I did not hear good things about it, so I never tried it. It is not really my style of play. I think it was more of an action game.
Last edited by Variol on 01 Dec 2009, 20:30, edited 1 time in total.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 01 Dec 2009, 18:55

If you are interested about story then yes. Game isn't so bad but is boring - you have to run through one dungeon several times (because it is like Tunnels to Nighon/Eeofol - connecting several areas) and that is probably the most boring time in game.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 02 Dec 2009, 02:28

I mainly wish there were some variety in your character -- even a might vs. magic option would have been nice; as it is, you play a sword-wielding armor-wearing guy who can cast spells.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Bowerbank
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Bowerbank » 02 Dec 2009, 03:19

i had the game on the pc and playstation, i dont even know why i bought the game again. It was not good in my eyes. Seemed really hard to understand and didnt play great either.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 02 Dec 2009, 17:31

I've completed it a few months ago. Worth playing once. Fights are fun, resemble Gothic 2 fights very much, but more balanced due to multiple enemies attacking at the same time. The repetitiveness is the bad side. You'll face almost the same enemies in the same dungeons more than once. I'd recommend playing on Hard difficulty, but you'll have to care of health potions until you get Soul Drink spell.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 02 Dec 2009, 21:03

Considering the clear executive meddling, it's actually pretty impressive when you consider at the nine-month development timeframe. Otherwise it's an ok romp which could actually have been good if Trip wasn't in charge.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 03 Dec 2009, 00:13

I thought the gameplay was fun, but this game was seriously underdeveloped. The ending is downright dissapointing because it feels like it's not the ending of the game yet, or at least it shouldn't be. Only played through it once though..
Back in the time it was released there weren't that many 3rd person RPG's so that made it kinda cool. It basically plays like Morrowind or Oblivion. Blocking with a shield works the same way, although it's a little more challenging because there's more enemies hacking at you at once, which makes it a bit like Assassin's Creed too in the combat department.
Iirc there was like one dungeon that you had to run through several times back and forth to receive quests, that was pretty boring imo.

It's far from a great game, but... yeah I'd say it's worth playing once.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

DaveO
Demon
Demon

Unread postby DaveO » 09 Dec 2009, 03:15

HodgePodge hated this game. I can't think of a real reason to buy it unless there is absolutely nothing else worth playing(and even then, a replay of a classic would likely be a much better choice).
I'd rather be part bull than a complete sheep.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 09 Dec 2009, 04:06

Well a short review of what I know about it (it's been a while).

Story:

There are evil skelletons send by a necromancer, who completely destroys your village. You seem to survive, and put away in a dungeon. Main character Drake thinks it's time for payback (next to crapping out stupid lines). Seriously, it never goes deeper than that.

Looks:

Looks weren't bad. This game came out before Day of the Destroyer (IIRC) and it was 3D all the way. No sprites or anything, just some modeling. They look pretty bland though.

Music:

The music in this game isn't really bad. It can be annoying. There are no reall good themes, and sometimes, it can even get on your nerves (like the battle theme). It's nothing special, and you will not miss out if you shut down your sound.

Gameplay:

Every MM game has a good system. You can level up your own character, after you visit the trainers. Here, you don't have to do that. You kill enemies, you gain XP, then you level up and there is nothing you need to do. You can just buy magic (IIRC). But the WORSE thing is the fact that you do not see what is going on. No health indicator, or time for looking at that. Just keep hammering until they drop dead, like poop from the butt...

My experiences are one the PSX. It wasn't really bad, allthough there were some MAJOR flaws like I described. Only thing why I kept playing was the fact that it's so freaking easy. Almost a Hack n Slash game, but a not so good one based on the MM universe.
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 09 Dec 2009, 05:16

darknessfood wrote:There are evil skelletons send by a necromancer, who completely destroys your village. You seem to survive, and put away in a dungeon. Main character Drake thinks it's time for payback (next to crapping out stupid lines). Seriously, it never goes deeper than that.
More accurately:
You survived and have been hunting skeletons for years. But once they caught you and here the game begins.
darknessfood wrote:No health indicator, or time for looking at that.
Actually, there is a good health indicator in the left-up corner, at least in PC version.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 09 Dec 2009, 05:48

The health indicator was meant for enemies (like right mouse button in MM6, the game pauses)...
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 09 Dec 2009, 14:32

Funny, I didn't even think of it :) Both now and in the game, as monsters didn't live too long.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 09 Dec 2009, 18:00

DaveO wrote:HodgePodge hated this game. I can't think of a real reason to buy it unless there is absolutely nothing else worth playing(and even then, a replay of a classic would likely be a much better choice).
Haha! Thanks for reminding me DaveO. :D Yes, I was very disappointed. Maybe I was expecting too much, something on the same scale as MM6 or 7. Silly me.

Anyhow, I thought Crusaders of Might & Magic stunk. :vomit:
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Alan06
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Alan06 » 18 Dec 2009, 08:39

i heard of this game but i didn't play it, does this game continue the mm's storyline ?

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 18 Dec 2009, 21:43

Nope - it's another story in another land but with few (not-important) references to MM games.

Return to “Might and Magic”