Who feels that MM8 character gen is less then MM7's

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Drakeero
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Who feels that MM8 character gen is less then MM7's

Unread postby Drakeero » 05 Nov 2009, 06:05

In my personal opinion, the character creator for MM8 is inferior because it lacks a huge amount of customizability. The classes feel forced on me, They're not the traditional ones I'm used to, no dwarves, no elves [like the ones from MM7 at least, and the paper dolls look entire different so even if it was possible [which I don't think it is maybe I'm wrong] I can't even bring over my favorite MM7 characters to fill in the void.

Well, I suppose there is one good thing about it. Later in the game you can get a dragon. But still, I really want my two elf babes and dwarf from MM7.

vladimir-maestro
Genie
Genie

Unread postby vladimir-maestro » 05 Nov 2009, 06:23

just do it with photoshop!
blend faces from mm7 to mm8 paper dolls and be happy =)
mm8 paper dolls are almost 100% anatomically correct then mm6 or mm7 dolls, so i like them. maybe they've designed a little bit strange but still the best ones.
You can contact me here:
maestro_mod@yahoo.com
vladud @ yandex.ru - preferred one
---
Site about MODs: http://www.mmgames.ru
---
if you wish to upload some materials for this site - let me know.

Drakeero
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Drakeero » 05 Nov 2009, 06:30

vladimir-maestro wrote:just do it with photoshop!
blend faces from mm7 to mm8 paper dolls and be happy =)
mm8 paper dolls are almost 100% anatomically correct then mm6 or mm7 dolls, so i like them. maybe they've designed a little bit strange but still the best ones.
I've never touched Photoshop, ever. I'd be happy enough just switching the ingame portrait and voice from the little red-headed elf from MM7.

Eh, maybe the game is worth the character creation. I'll still give it a try.

koval321
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby koval321 » 07 Nov 2009, 07:31

mm8 paper dolls are almost 100% anatomically correct
Yes, instead of skin colour. I only dont like animal races, everything else is ok and sometime i feel its best char gen.

Anyway hah thats was funny when i played mm8 and then return to mm6 and realized how weird anatomy they have.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 07 Nov 2009, 10:45

I think the entire series lacked freedom.
If I have a fighter that wants to have Air Magic, why not let him? The down side would be that he will loose out on some combat classes to offset it.

Konfuzius
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Konfuzius » 07 Nov 2009, 15:16

For me, the char system in mm8 better than that of MM7.

I like it to play with different chars, I just don't want to play with the chars, I want something new.

Also I liked the MM8 chars, much more than those from MM7, in my opinion is the minotaur a better dwarf and the dark elf a cooler elf.
A Vampire looks better than a normal Paladin, only the Golbin is missing, but for that you have a Troll instead ^^.

Ok, in MM7 you could choose the races, but that wasn't really useful.

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 07 Nov 2009, 15:23

I prefer MnM 7 char creation system too. Is a matter
of taste I guess. :P
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 07 Nov 2009, 20:22

MM7 is a lot better. You can choose a race *and* a position. And you can change all the characters, not only the first one (and I like my customisation!). And yes, all those strange races is just not my cup of tea. LOTR-themed races from MM7 was at least realistic, but having a Minotaur in your party? A dragon? A troll? Seriously?

Drakeero
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Drakeero » 09 Nov 2009, 21:30

Personally, I think the minotaur is kinda cool. Same with the dragon, though I would much prefer something like the dragon hatchling from the MM7 warlock promotion quest. Too bad I have to go the dark side just for it.

So, if there's one change I'd be happy to accept, it's the minotaur. Speaking of which, I should start a thread about your favorite party set-ups.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 10 Nov 2009, 06:35

MM8 classes are better. They defer from each other much more.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 06 Jul 2011, 23:31

IMO the whole point of skill level caps in MM 7 and 8 is not a reflection of a character's inability to master any given skill to a further degree, but his/her unwillingness to do so. Looking at it in a more realistic way, what should keep a Paladin from GM'ing a Plate Armor? Nothing. But what the skill level caps reflect is the characters' focus at any given time. An Archer obviously has potential in magic, and he could quite possibly grandmaster it, but if he invested more time in Fire Magic, then his martial skills would suffer, and he would no longer be a Warrior Mage, but a regular one. That's it right there. And the Ranger - he learns so many skills because he wants to, because it's essential to his survival. He masters none of them, beause he feels that he doesn't need to and that it would impair his goal of learning the most skills he can. He grandmasters only those he deems the most useful in the wilderness, like identifying monsters and cleaving stuff with his axe.

So guys, don't treat the classes as something limiting the characters. The caps reflect not their limitations, but their choices :)

hatsforclowns
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby hatsforclowns » 07 Jul 2011, 09:04

Xfing wrote:IMO the whole point of skill level caps in MM 7 and 8 is not a reflection of a character's inability to master any given skill to a further degree, but his/her unwillingness to do so. Looking at it in a more realistic way, what should keep a Paladin from GM'ing a Plate Armor? Nothing. But what the skill level caps reflect is the characters' focus at any given time. An Archer obviously has potential in magic, and he could quite possibly grandmaster it, but if he invested more time in Fire Magic, then his martial skills would suffer, and he would no longer be a Warrior Mage, but a regular one. That's it right there. And the Ranger - he learns so many skills because he wants to, because it's essential to his survival. He masters none of them, beause he feels that he doesn't need to and that it would impair his goal of learning the most skills he can. He grandmasters only those he deems the most useful in the wilderness, like identifying monsters and cleaving stuff with his axe.

So guys, don't treat the classes as something limiting the characters. The caps reflect not their limitations, but their choices :)
Which isn't exactly a bad thing, but I prefer to make my own decisions and choices. Is it me playing the game or the game playing me?

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 07 Jul 2011, 12:38

GrayFace wrote:MM8 classes are better. They DIFFER from each other much more.
This.

As was said, MM7 race is irrelevant after Castle Harmondale + White Cliff Caves + Stone City thanks to the many barrels equalizing the stats of your characters.

If you don't like that MM8 only allows you to create 1 character - play it like I do and create 5 different characters over 5 save games and edit the first save game (with MM8CHE) to have all of them to fill out your party!

(The actual character generation of the 4 additional characters is temporary, and its use is only to have a reference of what statistics they start out with. The rest of the job is overwriting Devlin Arcanus, Elsbeth Lamentia, Fredrick Talimere and Simon Templar with your OWN characters.).

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 07 Jul 2011, 14:13

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:thanks to the many barrels equalizing the stats of your characters.
Equalizing? No way, I never drink barrels of Intellect by Cleric or Paladin.
UndeadHalfOrc wrote:If you don't like that MM8 only allows you to create 1 character - play it like I do and create 5 different characters over 5 save games and edit the first save game (with MM8CHE) to have all of them to fill out your party!
You still have to join some characters in the proper time.
And how can you deliver a crystal to Talimere, if he already in your party?

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 07 Jul 2011, 15:19

tolich wrote:]You still have to join some characters in the proper time.
And how can you deliver a crystal to Talimere, if he already in your party?
MM8CHE allows you to put ANYBODY in the game in your party for all slots, be it Duroth the Eternal or some other characters who were dummied out (their names are generic "troll", "knight", etc

Putting Talimere in your party starts you with his gem in his backpack, but it won't work yet. The game still allows you to talk to him in his hut, and get the 1500 exp, and now the gem that you already had, works :)

The game is robust that way.

Imryll
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Imryll » 07 Jul 2011, 17:38

I like the races/classes in MM8, but I really prefer to start out with a complete party rather than to acquire party members gradually. And switching out loyal companions for someone more skilled is just not on in my game. I can accept having temporary members, but my adventures are team efforts.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 07 Jul 2011, 18:02

Imryll wrote:I like the races/classes in MM8, but I really prefer to start out with a complete party rather than to acquire party members gradually. And switching out loyal companions for someone more skilled is just not on in my game. I can accept having temporary members, but my adventures are team efforts.
I'll repost what I said: use MM8CHE!

If you don't like that MM8 only allows you to create 1 character - play it like I do and create 5 different characters over 5 save games and edit the first save game (with MM8CHE) to have all of them to fill out your party!

(The actual character generation of the 4 additional characters is temporary, and its use is only to have a reference of what statistics they start out with. The rest of the job is overwriting Devlin Arcanus, Elsbeth Lamentia, Fredrick Talimere and Simon Templar with your OWN characters.).

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 07 Jul 2011, 18:08

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:The game still allows you to talk to him in his hut, and get the 1500 exp, and now the gem that you already had, works :)
I lol'd. He gains experience for meeting himself, isn't he? It's like I (without any cheating) beaconed into Kira's Castle ready to start council, and my Forad Darre had a chance to talk to another Forad Darre, sitting on the chair.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 08 Jul 2011, 16:38

tolich wrote:
UndeadHalfOrc wrote:The game still allows you to talk to him in his hut, and get the 1500 exp, and now the gem that you already had, works :)
I lol'd. He gains experience for meeting himself, isn't he?.
Yes, although usually for me, he isn't himself anymore since by that point I have changed his portrait, name, class, skills, spells, stats, etc. :)

There is one weird thing about including Simon Templar at the start of the game: sometimes you find him at the entrance of the temple, and sometimes you don't.

Either way: all the characters you manually put in your party with MM8CHE become available in the tavern after you dismiss them.

The interesting thing about MM8 is that only Clerics and Minotaurs are allowed to start with Spirit Magic (for the great early game spell Bless)

SkeleTony
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby SkeleTony » 09 Jul 2011, 04:13

M&M 8's character system is so terrible that I cannot bring myself to even try the game for more than 2 minutes. "Classes" should be CLASSES(jobs, vocations, professions etc.) and races should be RACES(i.e. dwarfs, minotaurs, orcs etc.). Also, while non-standard races are GREAT(I totally love orcs, trolls, minotaurs and such as races for PCs!), I draw the line at stupidity like dragons being a PC race and "Vampires" are not a race OR a class(vampirism is a condition, like being "sick" or "alive"(in this case a form of undeath).).

Return to “Might and Magic”