MM7 - Your hardest dungeon

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Drakeero
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

MM7 - Your hardest dungeon

Unread postby Drakeero » 28 Oct 2009, 23:57

In another thread the topic of which dungeons were the hardest came up... in an indirect way. I noticed that some people had an easier time then others.

Here are two exampls:

The Temple of the Moon on Emerald Island, and Castle Harmondale.

But to make this thread interesting, what are your solutions to help other people clear these dungeons more quickly?

For example, my solutions to the Temple of the Moon is the Day of the Gods pedastal just north of the adventuring party near the cannon.

For Castle Harmondale: everybody 3 at bow, don't use turn based combat so you can dodge and fire around corners, and use fire aura! [many many parts of the game became easy when I began to use fire aura.]

Now, one of the hardest areas in the game for me is Thunderfist Mountain with all the minotaurs and beholders. The reason why this gives me so much trouble is I keep trying to go through there underlevelled and unprepared. That and I can never remember the way. Does anyone have neat little tricks to try here?

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 29 Oct 2009, 10:21

Don't forget Stone Skin pedestal and protection from Air & Fire for Castle Harmondale! I don't have any problems with it even in turn-based mode.

As for Thunderfist mountain, that was one of the hardest dungeons for me until I realised I kept taking the longest path to Nighon! It was to the right from the Nighon Tunnels, then over the bridge and forward. And since I discovered that there is a much shorter path to the left and then keeping to the right, it became a piece of cake. Also, Invisibility helps a lot here.

For me, the hardest dungeon was the Pit on the light side, due to all those Queens of the Dead standing there. The strategy there is to use Paralyse on each Queen, and if they turn on Pain Reflection, cast Dispel Magic. Having preservation on helps as well, and Power Cure is a huge help there.

Drakeero
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Drakeero » 29 Oct 2009, 18:48

@ Castle Harmondale oooh, right. Forgot to mention the air and fire resistances. Yeah, this playthrough [my smartest and most thought out playthrough so far] I used those, the pedastal, and fire aura and the place was a breeze.

Thanks for the advice with Thunderfist mountain. The first time I cleared the pit, I'm not sure how I did it. Then again, I didn't exactly clear it either. I fought my way to the breeding pit thing and then fought my way back out. I think I stayed parked near the entrance and sent waves of light elementals to fight for me. Must have taken 4 inventories of mana potions and a few hours but I think it worked. See, that was so many years ago and I've been playing evil since then...

Another thing, I didn't realize just how deadly ancient wyvrens were. I remember, the very first time I played through the game [back when it first came out and I was like... 13] I got one for the Tulerean Caves. That long ago I have NO idea how I beat it, or pulled off many of the other grand stunts I did back then. At least this time now that I'm older I have a better understanding of some things called tactics and strategy.

Oh! How could I possible forget. The HARDEST dungeon for me, so far, is Lord Markham's manor for the rogue promotion quest. I repeatedly get a Master of the Sword and he rips me a new one every time. I'd kind of like to get my thief promoted to her first level sometime before everyone else is at their second level.

I've tried... invisibility. No go. I've tried... sneaking around the table, using telekinesis, and running back out. No go. I've tried spell jumping onto the table, using telekinesis then running. Still no go.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 29 Oct 2009, 20:05

Ancient Wyvern in the Tularean Caves? I'm yet to see one... Generally they're less of a threat and more of an annoyance, use turn-based mode and you will get out of ANY fight in the world, because you're faster than any kind of monsters in the game, as long as you walk forward (so when retreating, always turn around, don't use the backwards arrow for moving unless you want to go into melee range). I always clear AvLee by running around in circles in turn-based mode.

Lord Markham's estate... I never had a Thief until recently, so I didn't realise that there even was a thief promotion quest :\ But overall I use invisibility and save/load. I usually run into someone eventually, but I still manage to get out. Remember that Slow is a very, very nice spell to use against Swordsmen!

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 30 Oct 2009, 14:45

GreatEmerald wrote:Ancient Wyvern in the Tularean Caves? I'm yet to see one... Generally they're less of a threat and more of an annoyance, use turn-based mode and you will get out of ANY fight in the world, because you're faster than any kind of monsters in the game, as long as you walk forward (so when retreating, always turn around, don't use the backwards arrow for moving unless you want to go into melee range). I always clear AvLee by running around in circles in turn-based mode.
I do the same thing but in realtime mode, it's less boring that way :)
Lord Markham's estate... I never had a Thief until recently, so I didn't realise that there even was a thief promotion quest :\ But overall I use invisibility and save/load. I usually run into someone eventually, but I still manage to get out. Remember that Slow is a very, very nice spell to use against Swordsmen!
Again, real time mode for me. I just save the game in front of the manor, then run past and back. After trying like 10 times you'll get lucky and not have a swordsmaster standing in the way on the way out. Btw I thought invisibility didn't work because you have to open a door? I have to agree though, this is definately the most difficult promotion quest. Still it doesn't suck as much as the Warlock promotion.... you've basically finished the game by the time you can get it, I mean seriously what's the point of that?
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 30 Oct 2009, 17:41

Invisibility wears off ONLY if you: a) cast a spell b) bump into someone c) spell's duration is exceeded. Not sure if yelling makes it wear off, either, but opening doors and chests doesn't break the spell.

Drakeero
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Drakeero » 30 Oct 2009, 18:44

Warlock promotion quest only doable when the game is near over... hm.

Well, already I'm contemplating trying to reach Nighorn for some trainers before I even choose a particular path. My party is already up to their 30's because I did stuff like all the promotion quests before helping the dwarves. I wonder if, in a few more levels I can pull it off.

Then I wonder if I can get through the Eofol (sp?) tunnels before I get the mission too. Wait.... I'm taking the good guy side. Oops, nvm.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 30 Oct 2009, 23:39

GreatEmerald wrote:Invisibility wears off ONLY if you: a) cast a spell b) bump into someone c) spell's duration is exceeded. Not sure if yelling makes it wear off, either, but opening doors and chests doesn't break the spell.
Ah, well I just remember that Invisibility didn't really work for me there. Might have been that it's impossible not to bump into a swordsmaster in that place :D
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

Paviel
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Paviel » 31 Oct 2009, 17:33

Drakeero wrote:
Then I wonder if I can get through the Eofol (sp?) tunnels before I get the mission too. Wait.... I'm taking the good guy side. Oops, nvm.
It's Eeofol, with two E's, and if you're strong/stealthy/lucky enough, you can get there even before you choose a new arbiter. (I know; I did it once. And Archibald STILL gave me a gun...)

On the subject of Lord Markham's Manor... It's all luck-based, I guess, but I've been able to complete that quest at level 5 unpromoted several times. I open the left door, run clockwise around the table, run as close as I can to the vase, grab the vase, let the sparks hit the guards, and then make a break for it while they're stunned by the sparks.

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 31 Oct 2009, 18:45

Thunderfist mountain, Thunnels to Eeofol

RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!

Drayakir
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Drayakir » 04 Nov 2009, 17:18

Heh. Thunderfist mountain for me as well. I simply used Invisibility to sneak around baddies. Then, when I got the ancient weapons, I went back and slaughtered them all.
Malae naturae numquam doctore indigent.

Deadguy118
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Deadguy118 » 05 Nov 2009, 04:46

The Breeding Grounds and the Tunnels to Eofol both come to mind when I think of "Frustrating MMVII Dungeons". Notice what they have in common? Lots and lots and lots of behemoths and tight corridors that are impossible to invisible your way through.
Back from the dead? Maybe.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 05 Nov 2009, 15:12

I literally Blasted my way through Tunnels to Eeofol with a blaster (from the quest). Breeding Grounds weren't that hard either, there aren't that many behemoths there.

Alan06
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Alan06 » 06 Nov 2009, 06:27

Oh! How could I possible forget. The HARDEST dungeon for me, so far, is Lord Markham's manor for the rogue promotion quest. I repeatedly get a Master of the Sword and he rips me a new one every time. I'd kind of like to get my thief promoted to her first level sometime before everyone else is at their second level.

I've tried... invisibility. No go. I've tried... sneaking around the table, using telekinesis, and running back out. No go. I've tried spell jumping onto the table, using telekinesis then running. Still no go.
the first time i ended this game the lord markham manor was a very difficult dungeon... then i explored the house a little more and i found a cool way to stop the powerful swordmens, but you have to be patience, lucky and be prepared to recieve some hits... firse go to the door on the right, kill the weak swordmens and as you know when you open one of the doors the other opens inmediatly.. so in turn base mode you have to made the master of the sword approach as you go to one of the sides of the bed in the right room, the one with the cabinet, if there is only one enemy jump over the bed and kill him staying on the other side, if there is more than one you have to wait until each swordmens stay together, and then do the same, jump over the bed on the other side and you can kill the easily.. i hope you understand this way to stop them works for me :D

oh yes i forgot.. the most difficult dungeon in the game i think is the pit or every dungeons with queen of the death or liches in there.. dragon breath is so powerful ! i hate those enemies

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 06 Nov 2009, 09:19

Alan06 wrote:dragon breath is so powerful ! i hate those enemies
Not only. =) Do not forget about their habit to cast 'Pain Reflection'. Turning Lich Kings is very, very painful. =)

If you with light you can Dispel and Paralize them, but if you´re with Dark they become tough opponents! The only thing I can recommend is to use Pain Reflection and not Dragon Breath. =)

Also, Temple of Dark may be very useful for Light Party. Go there being invisible, then wipe it out, and then wipe surrounds, healing in the Temple.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 06 Nov 2009, 11:57

In fact, the hardest dungeons in the game are those of the player's allies, because they have that side magic resistance. On Light, killing Archmagi is a real pain, they dispel your Hour of Power&Day of the Gods&Day of Protection and they keep creating explosive Light Elementals, too! On Dark, you can't Dispel Queens of the Dead and all your Dark spells are a lot less effective.

Return to “Might and Magic”