[MMI] Items in Secret of the Inner Sanctum

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
LocutusBorg
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

[MMI] Items in Secret of the Inner Sanctum

Unread postby LocutusBorg » 21 Oct 2009, 09:03

Does any of You know exactly what Misc items there do?
F.e.: Dried Beef, Magic Herbs, Bags with Silver, dust, etc.

BTW: It is damn hard game! It is!

Oh, and welcome everyone :) I have account here from some time, but it is my first post :)

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 21 Oct 2009, 13:18

Most of them can be used as wands. If you use Dried Beef, you'll get +6 food, and it has 3 charges, so in total you'll get 18 food from it. Useful as last resort food, although I see no reason not to eat it as soon as you get it.
Magic Herbs are especially useful, in combat they can be used on a character to heal it (acts like the First Aid spell).
Bags with Silver do nothing useful, you might as well sell them. That's all they do, really. Other items uses can be found in your cluebook, if you happen to have one (it came with my Might and Magic Archives), but generally just use it as it seems logical.

Oh, and yea, it is a challenging game. It's not hard as in frustrating (like MM6), it's just challenging. I'm currently in level 6 of my YouTube playthrough of this, and don't seem to get too far. Will get to level 7 pretty soon, though.

LocutusBorg
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby LocutusBorg » 22 Oct 2009, 11:31

Hm... I have three files with my version:
- Manual,
- Cluebook,
- Keywords.

All in pdf, but unfortunately I can open only Keywords... Acrobat says that two other are broken :(
I tried to find it on Net, I found a site named replacementdocs and they are there... But I was able to download only a manul (nice, but I saw all of it content on many MM sites :) ). Cluebooks, even if there are 2 versions, don't download, at least for me :( Crap!

So, if anyone has it in pdf or other file and it works, can You send it to me? Or - if there is a possibility - attache it here, on forum?

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 22 Oct 2009, 13:18

Hmm, try opening your PDF with Foxit Reader if you're using Windows. I never use Acrobat.

LocutusBorg
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby LocutusBorg » 22 Oct 2009, 14:29

Well, seems my CD, where MMI was has too much scratches :)
What is funny, I couldn't open it from CD but I could copy it on HDD. And from HDD it's working fine. :D

Oh, and the one from this site with old-games docs also finally downloaded. Both, the one from my old CD and from Net are the same.

Ha, now I have list of all items! :)

And thx for a prompt!

Eternal Inquirer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Eternal Inquirer » 11 Jun 2011, 07:29

If you play games II-V, check replacementdocs for their cluebooks as well. Each game has three essential documents: Manual, cluebook, and map. (Well, the maps aren't essential, but they are beautiful.)

Depending on the copy of MMII you get, you may also NEED its manual to bypass the copy protection.

Speaking of which, there is one more handy file on that website: A quickref card for games III, IV, and V that contains all the copy protection keys. Invaluable!

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 11 Jun 2011, 07:58

Item list, taken directly from the game's executable.

Eternal Inquirer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Eternal Inquirer » 11 Jun 2011, 08:19

Useful, that.

Take the number from the far-left column, the "Idx" one, convert it to hexidecimal, and you can use it in a hex editor to give your character that item. (00 indicates no item.)

Start the game with the Key Card and Eye of Goros and you can win without a single battle!

Sadly, I tested all 256 hex codes myself BEFORE discovering this chart. Would have saved a lot of time...

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 11 Jun 2011, 08:33

Astral Plane can have strong encounters, and disallow to Teleport. Moreover, you must visit it six times to return five times, so it isn't that easy.

Eternal Inquirer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Eternal Inquirer » 11 Jun 2011, 08:35

Funny, the NES version seems to have stripped the Astral Plane of monsters.

Return to “Might and Magic”