OS Question

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Variol
Wraith
Wraith

OS Question

Unread postby Variol » 17 Oct 2009, 10:11

There was such a good deal on a new PC at Staples yesterday, I gave in and bought it. It has Vista loaded on it, but HP is offering a free upgrade to Windows 7 with it. Will Windows 7 run all my old favs?

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 19 Oct 2009, 08:49

If any problems would occur, I think I would be able to fix them. But I won't recommend using brand-new operating systems. I prefer to wait for 1 or 2 service packs. I'll actually stick with XP until stuff stops support it or until I need new DirectX versions.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 19 Oct 2009, 10:11

I would prefer to use XP Pro for now, but I don't want to install it over Vista and potentially mess up my warranty and maybe, not be able to upgrade from Vista to 7 in the future.

Is anyone playing these games on Vista now?

Edit: (not dames, games:))
Last edited by Variol on 19 Oct 2009, 17:48, edited 1 time in total.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 19 Oct 2009, 13:23

Windows 7 is a LOT more compatible with older games than Vista ever was. Just make sure you install DirectX 9 libraries and you should be good to go. If it doesn't have maximum compatibility with all games, it still has a lot more compatibility than Vista. Of course, XP is still a little better, but 7 is the 2nd choice.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 19 Oct 2009, 17:49

What about having both XP and Win 7 on the drive? Is it doable, or just a big pain?

Nelviticus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Nelviticus » 19 Oct 2009, 18:24

I've played MM6 on Windows 7 with Grayface's patch.

You can set a PC up to dual-boot Windows 7 and XP but it's a lot of hassle unless you're installing everything from scratch and it wastes hard drive space. I set my machine up that way but I've hardly ever booted XP since installing 7.

But Win 7 really is very good. If there are any apps that you can't do without, Google them to see whether they work on Vista. If they do, they should work on Win 7 too.

Regards

InvisibleTerror
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby InvisibleTerror » 19 Oct 2009, 18:48

Playing MM7 (Official patch 1.1 + GreyFace patch 1.2.1 + Maestro MOD 2.7 (final) with MM7rev4mod included) on Vista x64. The only problems I have are the death scene and the New world computing intro videos (both crashes the game quite often). Otherwise there seems to be no problems.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 19 Oct 2009, 20:35

Variol wrote:What about having both XP and Win 7 on the drive? Is it doable, or just a big pain?
Doable, I have it set up just like that. The only problem is that I had WinXP as my primary OS, so it kinda defeats the purpose of having Win7 installed, as WinXP is good enough.
Though if you are thinking of doing a dual boot, I highly recommend you to use GRUB instead of any of those Windows loaders. GRUB is a lot more flexible, customisable and a LOT easier to set up. And you'll want to have GPartEd (GNU Partition Editor) CD on hand for easy partition flag changes (since only the partition that has the boot flag is booted).

Return to “Might and Magic”