Totally glad to see such a powerful modding tool. I always wanted to see spiritual continuation of MM6-8. There are, of course... MM9, in my opinion, is unfinished crap and the new MM10 doesn't possess that good'ole might and magic spirit. This tool grants possibility to extend our favorite games in different direction without loosing special thrill. Most of players already passed these games zillion times and most likely got bored of same quests, locations and stuff. Can't say about others, but personally i would want to replay MM once more in different world...
Editor and modding capabilities looks complete, however, the only flaw is documentation. Programmers tend to know every line in their code as well as whole architecture of the product, but not the users
. At least it takes some time to dig trough it. So far, i managed to "get it". Here's some questions though:Prerequisites
- I've started a new map and included it as "test.odm/test.ddm" into games.lod. Using mm7 from gog.com with latest GrayFace patch and editor/ext. There is test.lua in the Script/Maps folder with rewritten events. In Emerald Island (out01.odm) the first house leads to the new level via MoveToMap. In sprites.lod, i've taken Erathia's minimap and reuploaded it under test.bmp (that's why you see it in following screenshots). Other tools: MMArchive, Txt Tables Editor and MM8Editor.
1) Water Bug? If i load test.odm map via "Open" button or via internal the water looks like it should. But if i start game and move into test map, the water looks "icy". Is it bug or there are some thing that need to be tweaked? The edges of the lake are animated, the rest are not
2) evt.SetSprite radius bug? Again, not sure if this is bug or my flaw. Once the command is executed, sprite is changed but the radius is extended. Trying to implement apple tree (one tree has id #52). Due to extended radius it's hard to drop apple without turning at least 90 degrees away. Before you click on apple tree - the radius thing works fine.
Code: Select all
evt.str = "You received an apple"
evt.hint = "Fruit Tree"
evt.map = function()
if not evt.Cmp("MapVar20", 1) then
3) Spawn monsters don't work on new map. I've added new line in MAPSTATS.TXT via "TxtEdit.exe" and placed m1 spawn entity and see no monsters (reuploaded into events.lod)
PS: It looks like the line is not executed it at all. There's no map name(The Great Test) in map view screen.
Code: Select all
77 The Great Test test.odm 0 0 2 672 7 1 2 1 1 10 100 0 0 Goblin Goblin 3 2-5 0 0 0 1-3 0 0 0 0 4 FOREST 0 MyMap x
4) Is there a way to put fixed amount of gold into chests besides default item numbers(-1, etc)?
5) How about decal/monster/whatever getter function in lua? Like local m = GetMonster(ID). So you can edit it with m.Name = "Derp" etc. That apple sprite could be changed this way.
6) New maps, sprites and thing might mess original lod files. IS there way to load alternatives? like "Mymod.Events.lod" - this way it would be easier to distribute mod rather than merge resources with original archives.
7) I'm also interested in travel points RobMM8 mentioned about. Quick guess is to make invisible wall with traveling event.
8) I couldn't find a music command. New map won't play music from mp3 folder. Where should i specify it?
That's it for now... thanks in advance