Might & Magic Open Source Project

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
motter28218
Pixie
Pixie
Posts: 118
Joined: 30 Sep 2007

Postby motter28218 » Sep 25 2009, 17:00

GrayFace wrote:
motter28218 wrote:Plus I did some changes in the .exe which I can't make available for download

Why?
BTW, it's possible to do the dark/light path now in MMExtension. I'll probably release it today for MM6.


Isn't realeasing the .exe a copyright violation? I still have my dark quests in my mod, they end up lowering your reputation, but the main thing I wanted to do tho was be able to control which monster's are hostile to a good or evil party, which I never figured out how to do. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Otter

User avatar
GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff
Posts: 3330
Joined: 24 Jul 2009
Location: Netherlands

Postby GreatEmerald » Sep 26 2009, 10:42

Interesting project, and yes, it would be very useful. It's quite what the VCMI project is trying to achieve for HoMM3, and, as we can see, they're rather successful. Speedy mods with a lot of possibilities would be very awesome (since I work on the Unreal Engine games, and they have their awesome UnrealScript, I know how easy and fun making mods for them is!). So good luck with the project.

Though I wish someone could make a remake of the MM3 engine games... Swords of XEEN are awesome, but having more possibilities would make it even more fun! And remaking a pseudo-3D game should even be easier.

User avatar
Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman
Posts: 597
Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Location: Up North

Postby Talin_Trollbane » Sep 27 2009, 13:00

Deadguy118 wrote:You know, Might and Magic is the only game series I know that has a constant outpouring of overly-ambitious fan projects that will inevitably fail.


nah, TES got alot of them too.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

User avatar
GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 1556
Joined: 29 Nov 2005

Postby GrayFace » Sep 29 2009, 10:54

motter28218 wrote:Isn't realeasing the .exe a copyright violation?

Well, then you can try programs that let you create a patch that would include only changes in .exe. I used CodeFusion once. Though, I'm not sure, as I have no knowledge about copyright laws.

motter28218 wrote:I still have my dark quests in my mod, they end up lowering your reputation, but the main thing I wanted to do tho was be able to control which monster's are hostile to a good or evil party, which I never figured out how to do. Any thoughts?

That's what I meant. :) You can change hostility of monster type based on the path chosen. It can also depend on map (like, lizards can be friendly in Ironfist, but hostile in Bootleg Bay). Tomorrow I'll post a script for this in MMExtension thread.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

User avatar
motter28218
Pixie
Pixie
Posts: 118
Joined: 30 Sep 2007

Postby motter28218 » Sep 30 2009, 18:01

GrayFace wrote:Well, then you can try programs that let you create a patch that would include only changes in .exe. I used CodeFusion once. Though, I'm not sure, as I have no knowledge about copyright laws.


I think that would work but I don't know how to write an installer for it.

GrayFace wrote:That's what I meant. :) You can change hostility of monster type based on the path chosen. It can also depend on map (like, lizards can be friendly in Ironfist, but hostile in Bootleg Bay). Tomorrow I'll post a script for this in MMExtension thread.


I downloaded the MMExtension, I think those .txt files will be very useful for anyone hoping to get into modding this game, however I already had all the .evt files decoded (in hex, yours are much better for those who can't read hex) and I didn't see any command that would alter the hostilities of the monsters, there is a command in MM7+8 also there is the .txt file "MonsterHostilities", but MM6 doesn't have this. Is there some other way I'm not seeing?

User avatar
GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 1556
Joined: 29 Nov 2005

Postby GrayFace » Oct 1 2009, 9:16

MMExtension isn't limited by the commands of .evt files. I've posted the script I promised. Consider today being yesterday ;)
And you can also use it to change things you've changed in executable.
Here are properties of classes:
Game.Classes.HPFactor[class]
Game.Classes.SPFactor[class]
Game.Classes.Skills[class][skill]
Game.ClassKinds.HPBase[class_kind]
Game.ClassKinds.SPBase[class_kind]
Game.ClassKinds.StartingStats[class_kind][stat]
Indexes "class", "skill", "class_kind", "stat" are zero-based here.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Holloweyee
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 37
Joined: 20 Mar 2009

Postby Holloweyee » Nov 3 2009, 10:01

I had much school lately so I havent been able to work so much on it. But here is a picture for now...

Image

Ohh btw. I choose to use Leadwerks Engine.

matgaw
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 39
Joined: 08 Jul 2007

Postby matgaw » Nov 3 2009, 22:41

Holloweyee wrote:Ohh btw. I choose to use Leadwerks Engine.

OpenSource game on commercial, paid engine? Seems like you're not aware of what you're trying to do or the idea is just very strange to me.

I find posting such pictures as somehow harmful. They look "cool", but usually hide all the truth, like that it's only just static rendering, having nothing to do with any game, a "hello world app" and it's impossible to extend it in such look to the entire game (lack of artists, processor speed, optimization, any engine at all - inexpandable engine, especially frequent with inexperienced programmers). Then some fans arrive, see the cool picture, and say "wooow, you've done so much, great game, can't wait to play it!", while it's just a "cool" picture, nothing more :(

P.S. You may also want to know that your goal is veeeery similiar (as of the engine) to the MMTNO, so it's just doubling the same work. We also base on the MM6-8, with some modern improvements and changes to keep the game fresh and more enjoyable.

Holloweyee wrote:So if you want to join the team you should know at least the basics of c++ programming.

I'm sorry but the basics won't get you anywhere in decent time, before all fans die and computers will be deprecated...

Holloweyee
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 37
Joined: 20 Mar 2009

Postby Holloweyee » Nov 3 2009, 23:11

matgaw wrote:
Holloweyee wrote:Ohh btw. I choose to use Leadwerks Engine.

OpenSource game on commercial, paid engine? Seems like you're not aware of what you're trying to do or the idea is just very strange to me.

I find posting such pictures as somehow harmful. They look "cool", but usually hide all the truth, like that it's only just static rendering, having nothing to do with any game, a "hello world app" and it's impossible to extend it in such look to the entire game (lack of artists, processor speed, optimization, any engine at all - inexpandable engine, especially frequent with inexperienced programmers). Then some fans arrive, see the cool picture, and say "wooow, you've done so much, great game, can't wait to play it!", while it's just a "cool" picture, nothing more :(

P.S. You may also want to know that your goal is veeeery similiar (as of the engine) to the MMTNO, so it's just doubling the same work. We also base on the MM6-8, with some modern improvements and changes to keep the game fresh and more enjoyable.

Holloweyee wrote:So if you want to join the team you should know at least the basics of c++ programming.

I'm sorry but the basics won't get you anywhere in decent time, before all fans die and computers will be deprecated...



Right now iam woring on the systems. So its not much to show so I just wanted to show something.

User avatar
Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman
Posts: 597
Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Location: Up North

Postby Talin_Trollbane » Nov 4 2009, 19:30

why cant people work on remaking the older game, like MM1-MM2? should be alot easier then trudging around in 3D and whatnot.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

User avatar
GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff
Posts: 3330
Joined: 24 Jul 2009
Location: Netherlands

Postby GreatEmerald » Nov 4 2009, 22:08

I agree with Talin, although semi-3D graphics engines aren't so easy to come by (and even harder to make). Though as you can see there are attempts of recreating XEEN.

User avatar
Deadguy118
Assassin
Assassin
Posts: 294
Joined: 03 Jun 2006
Location: Somewhere

Postby Deadguy118 » Nov 5 2009, 4:32

Talin_Trollbane wrote:why cant people work on remaking the older game, like MM1-MM2? should be alot easier then trudging around in 3D and whatnot.

That I would support. It would be nice to see those games in a form that I could actually play.
Back from the dead? Maybe.


Return to “Might and Magic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest