Alternative to mm6 ???

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
callyc
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Alternative to mm6 ???

Unread postby callyc » 21 Aug 2009, 19:34

Hi - I am not a youngster, but came to MM6 about 10 years ago and have just recently (after retiring believe it or not!) returned and played MM6 right through again. When finished I tried MM7, thought it was rubbish, Tried MM8, thought that was rubbish too, so played 6 again,. I am just about to go into the Hive again and to be honest am getting bored with 6, great though it was. My question? what do I follow it with? Final Fantasy 7? what can you youngsters reccommend as my logical next best move. Bearing in mind that I like MM6 which means I like problem solving and am not averse to a shoot out. I hate it being easy and I hate it being so hard that I give up. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Callyc

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 21 Aug 2009, 20:26

I'd say try older MM games, like MM4 and MM5 - there is a lot of problem solving and tricks there, too. You could also try MM2, it also has some interesting things in it, though it's a little further from MM6 in its game mechanics.

pirvix
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby pirvix » 21 Aug 2009, 20:38

Or, since you liked mm6, you could try playing through The Chaos Conspiracy...
Might and Magic X official website:
http://www.mightandmagic10.thegaminguniverse.com/

Deadguy118
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Deadguy118 » 22 Aug 2009, 03:11

Well, if you refuse to play the other two M&M games made with that engine, you could always go back in time and play World of Xeen and Isles of Terra. Those are a little more old-school and don't have the most intuitive interfaces, but they are certainly worth playing.

There's also The Chaos Conspiracy, which I have yet to play but have heard good things about.

And, if you want to see a different take on the same genre, there's always the Wizardry series...
Back from the dead? Maybe.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 22 Aug 2009, 08:46

Get a copy of Wizardry 8. It will certainly occupy many months; of the few you have left. ;)

Welcome to the forum!

lotusreaver
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby lotusreaver » 22 Aug 2009, 20:25

And if you are a handheld gamer (like Nintendo DS) I highly recommend trying out Dark Spire and Etrian Odyssey. Both of them do a good job recreating the old grid-based RPGs of PC gaming past. In the case of Etrian Odyssey, the game even provided its own digital graph paper for you to map out every area manually with the stylus.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 23 Aug 2009, 08:45

Play Evil Islands :) It's 3rd person and gameplay is far from M&M, but it's one of my 2 favorite RPGs, M&M being the other one.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Deyja

Unread postby Deyja » 23 Aug 2009, 10:08

Well here some look alike games you would like:

the older Might & Magic games 3-5
Wizardry serries
The Bard's Tale Serries : The old memory's ^^
The song I sing
Will tell the tale

of a cold and wintery day;

Of castle walls
And torchlit halls

And a price men had to pay.

When evil fled
And brave men bled

The Dark one came to stay,

Till men of old
For blood and gold

Had rescued Skara Brae.
:proud:

Secret_Holder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Secret_Holder » 23 Aug 2009, 10:44

Arcanum and the Elder Scrolls series are also good.

Deyja
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Deyja » 26 Aug 2009, 16:49

O in that case i say Planescape: Torment :devious:

InvisibleTerror
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby InvisibleTerror » 27 Aug 2009, 09:55

Wizards and Warriors

callyc
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

mm6 chaos conspiracy

Unread postby callyc » 27 Aug 2009, 12:52

where can I get it please?
happy daze, cally

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 27 Aug 2009, 14:59

Wizards and Warriors is a love hate thing for me. I really liked the game, but hated the engine. I would try ebay maybe.

InvisibleTerror
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: mm6 chaos conspiracy

Unread postby InvisibleTerror » 27 Aug 2009, 15:04

callyc wrote:where can I get it please?
happy daze, cally
If you mean Wizards and Warriors, then I don't know. My version is from a local games magazine (Czech Rep. - Level). Sorry.

callyc
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby callyc » 27 Aug 2009, 15:26

I'm looking for MM6 chaos conspiracy

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 27 Aug 2009, 15:35

It's right here:
Download: viewtopic.php?t=10180
Discussion: viewtopic.php?t=10107
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Edwardas 3
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Edwardas 3 » 27 Aug 2009, 17:25

I'd advice to keep an eye on possible purchase of
Wizardry VIII it is long has lots of things to solve and many races and classes to give player an opportunity to play it couple of times more on very differently functioning classes.
You might also get interested in Wizards and Warriors .
This one might have some problems running on modern programs.
There is very respected forum called 'Ironwork Gaming' which has
sub-forums for many classic RPG and there I ,personally,found a tech tip
to get my version running without certain compability issues .

koval321
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby koval321 » 30 Aug 2009, 07:06

I have the same problem and almost played Final Fantasy serie, but its still one from these rpgs which i dont want play. MM8 is not so rubbish with savegame mod which put every npc to tavern and you may start with full team. It was worst part i think to join them during adventure.

Wizardry (especially part 8) everything good beside combat system, something was wrong here and make me sick after another 5000 respawn combat in the same area, i mean long battle, walk few meters and again the same.

Wizard and warriors: I really wish to have this game, but when got it, played maybe one hour

Betrayal in Antara: interesting at begining but later was boring

something different

Gothic: part 1 was good and i finished it, but part 2 well better graphic but i dont known why i stop it just like that

Ultima 9: i feel similar playability to Gothic1, its not so bad game

Gods, land of infinity: Look like first person, equipment, team: but not exacly mm style, well it make me strongly interesting but i dont played it long

Elder Scrolls: when am look at screens i wish to play it again, but am explorer and i want explore all available, well its impossible here, so i feel lost whole time, then also tryed Morrowind, which make me WOW at begining but later incredible boring, too much waste of space where is nothing

so what to do?

Dungeon Master: there is lot of modifications, http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/ and you can play them months and years, well its similar you have team, equipment, first person but its mostly dungeon

Anyway modifications is the key, already am play something else: Half-Life, it have almost thousand modifications, where hundread is very playable.

If you are hard MM6 fan then play Chaos Conspiracy mod

Or look mod for other game which was inspired by MM, for example exist inspired by ultima, mod for dungeon siege game, so who known what can be found. I think i seen somewhere inspired by mm mod for oblivion

callyc
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby callyc » 30 Aug 2009, 18:16

just downloading mm6 chaos right now - will let you know when I have it running - thanks guys for all your help - should keep me going for a while!
cheers,
Callyc

moeppel
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby moeppel » 31 Aug 2009, 10:31

Haven't played too many old RPGs due to my age but MM6 + upwards, and yes, MM6 was the best imo, and I couldn't sit through the others for whatever reason.

That said, Final Fantasy 7 is an epic RPG, that's if you can get to like the style. Other, new RPG are way more modern and have no longer 4 ugly pictures at the bottom of the screen.

That said, keep on playing MM6 + Mods, get yourself into Final Fantasy 7, if you like it proceed from there to FF8,9,10+ or backwards to FF6,5 etc. I don't recommend playing the FF series on a computer, least not those which were released for Playstation. For the old Final Fantasies I recommend emulation through (S)NES emulators, for all the others either the Playstation (2) version directly or, if your computer can handle it, the corresponding emulators.

Otherwise, the best offline RPG series was Gothic, Gothic I anyway for sure. Sadly it's lost it grip somewhat to Gothic III, yet and I remains one epic game. A must have personally. That said, after JoWood rushed the release of Gothic III and gave the saga its downfall Piranha Bytes (creators of original Gothic I) split from JoWood and been working on a title named "Risen" ever since. The game's to be released next month if I'm not mistaken. Definitely a title to look forward to.

Lastly, the "The elder Scrolls" titles. There's plenty, I only played Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and Oblivion though. The games are great, for me personally though, not enough of a clear road to walk on, too much freedom and world too open.

Return to “Might and Magic”