MM7 Monk Question

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Tetanus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

MM7 Monk Question

Unread postby Tetanus » 17 Aug 2009, 23:31

Hello all,

I got this game pretty recently, and am doing Monk/Archer/Cleric/Sorcerer. I'll go the path of light when I get the chance.

I have a few questions about the monk:

1) For dodging, do I need to be totally naked, or can I just not use any chest armor? Like, are boots, helm, ring, gauntlets, amulet all okay, or will any of those negate my ability to dodge?

2) Staff or unarmed?

3) Is it worth raising learning as soon as possible, or would the points spent there be better put towards other skills?

Thank you!

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 18 Aug 2009, 06:16

1. You cant wear chest armor, unless your GM dodge.
2. Imo unarmed, also GM staff allows use both but i think it was bugged.
3. Almost never take it myself but its verry good skill.

Deadguy118
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Deadguy118 » 18 Aug 2009, 22:35

1. Only chest armor.
2. Unarmed.
3. Since the monk really only has around four skills that he needs to pump points into, I think you are fine with diverting a few to learning. Plus, a 59% XP boost at GM level is nothing to sneeze at
Back from the dead? Maybe.

Tetanus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Tetanus » 19 Aug 2009, 01:30

Thanks for the replies, they are extremely helpful!

I just had one more question... I've only really had experience with a knight in that first spot. How would a paladin do with the same party (Pal/Arch/Cle/Sor) as opposed to a monk? Same, no different, more healing/less damage?

Thank you again,
Tetanus

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 19 Aug 2009, 05:51

Paladin and archer is quite good, altough his Paladins plate wearing habbits without GM plate slows down attacks, but it gets compensated with overgrown mace skill that paralyzes. Archer is quite useful although both of them have hard promotions.
Main problem with such setup is that there is noone that could grow Disarm skill above expert. and it seriously frustrates game-play process during whole game.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 19 Aug 2009, 09:13

Paladin vs Monk: Generally, Paladins are better magicians - they can master all self spells and also learn basic dark/light magic. However, they're really slow, without GM plate they're even slower than Knights. Now I'm not sure, but I think that it also affects the recovery time of their spells. A Monk is a lot, lot quicker, needs a lot less gold and are nice fighters. If your party is dark, Ninjas will be able to master Disarm Trap, which is a huge plus for a party like that; however, the light side gives Masters access to more spells - expert in all self spells - yet that still doesn't match Paladins.

So all in all, if you want a slow, but powerful spellcaster and warrior - go with the Paladin, if you want a quick, cheap healer and someone to disarm traps if you're dark - go with the Monk.

Sure Valla
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Sure Valla » 19 Aug 2009, 10:28

Go monk

Monk is strong, REALLY strong in later game.

Monk is cheap, dont needs good gear because your unarmed skill is your best friend

if grand master unarmed and grand master staff you get around 100-120 damage i believe, but not sure

i always found that paladins suck

yes and slow too...........

Return to “Might and Magic”