GrayFace MM8 Patch v2.5.7 [Mar 4, 2022]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Re: GrayFace MM8 Patch v2.4.1 [Sep 20, 2019]

Unread postby raekuul » 11 Mar 2020, 11:44

Kinox wrote:Misterious 10,000+ Experience Points on Promotion Quests delivering [only]
That's traditional - the relevant class has always gotten extra EXP for completing their matching promotion quests. Since the parties were static in MM6 and MM7 it ended up evening out.

Your hypothetical scenario goes as follows and in this order:
  1. Retrieve and deliver the Prophecies of the Sun, enabling the Priest of the Sun promotion
  2. Recruit Dyson Leyland
  3. Promote Dyson Leyland
My understanding is that EXP for this quest is given only at step 1, and not at step 3. In other words, Dyson Leyland receives a total of zero EXP for promoting.
Last edited by raekuul on 11 Mar 2020, 11:47, edited 3 times in total.

Kinox
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kinox » 12 Mar 2020, 07:14

raekuul wrote:
Kinox wrote:Misterious 10,000+ Experience Points on Promotion Quests delivering [only]
That's traditional - the relevant class has always gotten extra EXP for completing their matching promotion quests. Since the parties were static in MM6 and MM7 it ended up evening out.

Your hypothetical scenario goes as follows and in this order:
  1. Retrieve and deliver the Prophecies of the Sun, enabling the Priest of the Sun promotion
  2. Recruit Dyson Leyland
  3. Promote Dyson Leyland
My understanding is that EXP for this quest is given only at step 1, and not at step 3. In other words, Dyson Leyland receives a total of zero EXP for promoting.
Yes. Nice to remember how it worked for the previous games.

And indeed, I had a save where I could make some minor editions to find out there is 0 Experience Points gained for a later Promotion. :tsup: :tired:

Echo
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Echo » 15 Mar 2020, 20:26

What happened to GrayFace? His account appears to be gone :(

Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Anubis » 16 Mar 2020, 19:16

What do you mean his account is gone? I still see it.

nowy0000
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby nowy0000 » 06 May 2020, 15:46

How can i stretch menu, inventory, map etc... to 16:9 fullscreen?
Last edited by nowy0000 on 06 May 2020, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 06 May 2020, 18:21

nowy0000 wrote:How can i stretch menu, inventory, map etc... to 16:9 fullscreen?
In HD interface mode? Nope. In regular interface mode you can stretch everything at once, including the view.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

nowy0000
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby nowy0000 » 06 May 2020, 19:27

Ok. Can i have HD view and regular interface mode? How change to regular interface?

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 08 May 2020, 11:14

nowy0000 wrote:Ok. Can i have HD view and regular interface mode? How change to regular interface?
Remove or change to anything the line UILayout=UI. Then set StretchWidthFull=2.
Last edited by GrayFace on 08 May 2020, 11:15, edited 1 time in total.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

nowy0000
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby nowy0000 » 08 May 2020, 16:25

Thanks, greetings from Poland :)

Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Anubis » 13 May 2020, 00:53

In the Plane Between Planes, there are four visible cocoons that lead to the prisons of the Elemental Lords. There is an issue though

Air Cocoon > Clicking on it shows image of Earth Cocoon
Earth Cocoon > Clicking on it shows image of Air Cocoon
Fire Cocoon > Clicking on it shows image of Water Cocoon
Water Cocoon > Clicking on it shows image of Fire Cocoon

For example, we can see this is the Earth Cocoon: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... nknown.png

Clicking on the Earth Cocoon shows an image of the Air Cocoon, even though the description clearly describes it as the Earth Cocoon: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... nknown.png
Last edited by Anubis on 13 May 2020, 01:02, edited 1 time in total.

Novi
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Novi » 18 May 2020, 04:03

Anubis wrote:In the Plane Between Planes, there are four visible cocoons that lead to the prisons of the Elemental Lords. There is an issue though

Air Cocoon > Clicking on it shows image of Earth Cocoon
Earth Cocoon > Clicking on it shows image of Air Cocoon
Fire Cocoon > Clicking on it shows image of Water Cocoon
Water Cocoon > Clicking on it shows image of Fire Cocoon

For example, we can see this is the Earth Cocoon: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... nknown.png

Clicking on the Earth Cocoon shows an image of the Air Cocoon, even though the description clearly describes it as the Earth Cocoon: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... nknown.png
I think this has always been intended. The lords are trapped in their opposite element to weaken/torture them. In the picture, it shows an air whirl surrounded by the rocky mountainous terrain.
Last edited by Novi on 18 May 2020, 04:03, edited 1 time in total.

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 18 May 2020, 10:42

Anubis is saying that the Earth Cocoon is showing the Air Cocoon at the "are you sure you wish to enter this dungeon" prompt.

Novi
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Novi » 18 May 2020, 15:40

raekuul wrote:Anubis is saying that the Earth Cocoon is showing the Air Cocoon at the "are you sure you wish to enter this dungeon" prompt.
Eh, far as I can tell, the animation that plays when you click on one is the correct one (it shows the surrounding area you're in, in this case the mountains). This is most likely just a discrepancy between what the devs first intended it to look like and then what they actually did. Last zone of an unfinished game /shrug.

It would probably be more appropriate to switch the cocoon on the actual map around (and where they lead) for it to look more like the enter the dungeon screens.
Last edited by Novi on 18 May 2020, 15:42, edited 2 times in total.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 20 May 2020, 04:24

Novi wrote: Eh, far as I can tell, the animation that plays when you click on one is the correct one (it shows the surrounding area you're in, in this case the mountains).
The surrounding area is the same for all animations.

Novi
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Novi » 22 May 2020, 01:23

GrayFace wrote:
Novi wrote: Eh, far as I can tell, the animation that plays when you click on one is the correct one (it shows the surrounding area you're in, in this case the mountains).
The surrounding area is the same for all animations.
Ah, right you are. Maybe they really should be swapped around then.

BTW if I may ask - I really like the ability to increase FoV in the new patch, however, I don't dare go past 1.15 multiplier (ideally I'd like something like 1.25), because then you see a lot of objects appearing/disappearing on the sides of the screen. Would it be possible to make the game also render as much as it has to based on the FoV?

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 23 May 2020, 17:42

Novi wrote:BTW if I may ask - I really like the ability to increase FoV in the new patch, however, I don't dare go past 1.15 multiplier (ideally I'd like something like 1.25), because then you see a lot of objects appearing/disappearing on the sides of the screen. Would it be possible to make the game also render as much as it has to based on the FoV?
Strange, it should work fine, I'll check.

MaxG2D
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby MaxG2D » 23 May 2020, 18:00

Hello!

First of all, amazing work on the M&M series patches, you are a lifesaver to those timeless classics!

I have some questions regarding M&M 8 engine and the patch in general:

1. Would it be possible to increase the draw distance of the game world?
2. HD interface option is fantastic, but it seems to produce a weird blur to the whole image, compared to the vanilla UI. Vanilla UI produces almost pixel perfect integer scaling, while HD interface makes the whole game scale with some ugly bilinear filtering or something. Is is something you could look into?
3. It seems that your patch blocks usage of any form of ddraw.dll injection. I tried using DgVoodoo 2 to improve the graphics with things like anisotropic filtering, MSAA, etc; but even tho the DLL is detected by the setting .exe, it seems to do nothing in game. Would it be possible to fix that, or at least introduce AF and MSAA in GreyFace patch directly?

Thank you for your continued support, it's greatly appreciated!

Novi
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Novi » 23 May 2020, 22:35

MaxG2D wrote:2. HD interface option is fantastic, but it seems to produce a weird blur to the whole image, compared to the vanilla UI. Vanilla UI produces almost pixel perfect integer scaling, while HD interface makes the whole game scale with some ugly bilinear filtering or something. Is is something you could look into?
Thank you for your continued support, it's greatly appreciated!
What was the last patch you played the game on? I think what you're talking about in 2. is something not related to the new UI, but rather the new way the game is rendered in HW mode now. It can render in HD resolutions and runs in borderless window so it doesn't use your GPU to upscale things, but rather whichever method GrayFace implemented/injected. It's adjustable with optional parameters and I played with it a lot to get image as close to what it was before. I'm using
ScalingParam1=2
ScalingParam2=0.5
You can just paste that into the .ini.

As for 3. I assume the patch already functions as an injector, so I doubt you'll get 2 working at the same time, but my knowledge about that is limited.
(Also, I'd still love 1. to be implemented tbh >.<)

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 24 May 2020, 19:22

MaxG2D wrote:1. Would it be possible to increase the draw distance of the game world?
Yes, I just haven't got around to doing it in the patches yet.
MaxG2D wrote: 2. HD interface option is fantastic, but it seems to produce a weird blur to the whole image, compared to the vanilla UI. Vanilla UI produces almost pixel perfect integer scaling, while HD interface makes the whole game scale with some ugly bilinear filtering or something. Is is something you could look into?
What's your screen resolution? Is width bigger than 2000? If yes, that's due to a bug in DX7.
MaxG2D wrote: 3. It seems that your patch blocks usage of any form of ddraw.dll injection. I tried using DgVoodoo 2 to improve the graphics with things like anisotropic filtering, MSAA, etc; but even tho the DLL is detected by the setting .exe, it seems to do nothing in game. Would it be possible to fix that, or at least introduce AF and MSAA in GreyFace patch directly?
It was deliberate, because people that previously used dgVoodoo with the game would experience lower framerate with no benefits. Later I found out that it's not so clear-cut. I will be solving these issues at some point.
Last edited by GrayFace on 24 May 2020, 19:31, edited 1 time in total.

MaxG2D
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby MaxG2D » 25 May 2020, 15:28

GrayFace wrote:Yes, I just haven't got around to doing it in the patches yet.
Ah, that's fantastic news! Can't wait!
GrayFace wrote:What's your screen resolution? Is width bigger than 2000? If yes, that's due to a bug in DX7.
Yes, I'm running at 3440x1440. And BTW, if you want, I'll gladly test stuff for you, if you wish to properly support 21:9 aspect ratio. Feel free to hit me up on Discord - MaxG3D#4323
GrayFace wrote: It was deliberate, because people that previously used dgVoodoo with the game would experience lower framerate with no benefits. Later I found out that it's not so clear-cut. I will be solving these issues at some point.
Thank you. I just would love to have better textures filtering and some MSAA, or something to increase the fidelity of the image. After all, we are running like 200x the power of the PC that was originally required to play those game, so why not use all that power for some eyecandy? :tsup:
Last edited by MaxG2D on 25 May 2020, 15:30, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Might and Magic”